Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eqmod problems

solarboy

Downloaded eqmod to my new laptop with Windows 10 when opening  it the first pannal with  the n s e w buttons on just flashies blank and will not open and I can not switch if off without shutting down the laptop 

Has anybody had same problem 

Pete 

What cable are you using to connect between the mount and laptop?

I and a lot of others initially had problems with Win 10 and Prolific chip drivers. The cure was to roll back to an older version of the Prolific driver.

There is another thread running where people have ditched the Prolific chipset altogether and gone with an FTDI cable

I'd firstly try uninstalling, restart then reinstall.  I run on 2 different PC's with W10, one laptop and one micro pc, both using Prolific chipsets and both with no problems.  Sounds like it's not installed properly if you can't even open the toolbox.

To uninstall just use the MS utility (start/control panel/programmes/uninstall, or just type in the new finder box "uninstall" and it will come up with a link to the utility.  Always best to do a restart after uninstalling.

On the new install just accept everything including all the default directories and folders. 

Pete when Eqmod does that it is indicating a communication error - it cannot find an active comm port.  From your screen shot it's not clear if you have a planetarium (cdc, stellarium etc) app ruining.  What are you using to open Eqmod?  As Ian said above a fair few of us have had problems with the prolific chip set, it may be worth looking through the associated thread. If it is driver problem you will get an indication in your device manager.  I was chasing my tail with this a few weeks ago and eventually went with an FTDI cable.

Jim

Pete the cable you use to connect your mount directly to the computer is a usb to serial converter, commonly referred to in this application as the Eqdir cable.  It contains a microchip that converts the data signal between the two standards (usb and serial); it effectively allows your computer to talk to your mount.  A problem that a number of members found centred around a particular build standard of the Eqdir which used a microchip manufactured by Prolific (manufacturer) - the driver for that particular chip often threw up conflicts with Win 10.  An alternative Eqdir cable that uses a different chip (different manufacturer) -  FTDI, has been found by a number of members to be more reliable. Now, that is not to say that the problem you are experiencing is related to the Prolific chipset problem - it may or may not be.  First can you confirm that you are using a planetarium application to open Eqmod and not trying to open Eqmod on its own?  If you are opening Eqmod directly it will not work and this will result in your fault.

Jim 

Archived