SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Ring Nebula from this morning

Sam

This is my first go at the Ring Nebula.

It was unguided with a Canon 400D on an Orion XT8, HEQ5. 76 shots at 45secs each. They were stacked in DSS and a bit of tweaking in Gimp to finish it off.

7356_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Sam

Sam - there's some nice detail in there.

I know it's a bit of a pain but I suggest you manually go through the 76 subs and discard any that show any hint of trailling & re-stack the remainder. I know there's going to be less data but I think this will improve the overall clarity.

cheers

RB

If you use Photoshop,LB try an isolated layer of the 'ring' then desaturate and blur the background this will hide the trailing,plus a few stars unfortunately but makes the main subject stand out more. :D Give the 'ring layer' a couple of swipes with the Sharpen tool set on luminosity then merge the layers. Unsharp Mask the whole to taste!

This only takes a few minutes and is probable quicker than checking through 76 images. :D

Cheers

CW

Click as usual.

Good shot Sam, and as you say Ron, pure magic from CW. I tried to follow CW's instructions on a couple of the Satellite images I grabbed last week, but I got lost somewhere soon after the first step or two...

Ok, here's a reworked version taking on board advice from both Roy and CW. I got rid of the worst star trailing subs - reduced the number down to 36 (from 76 :D that's 'cause there's no guiding and the polar alignment probably needed more work). Thanks for the tips CW I did all of what you said except the luminosity thing with the sharpen tool, I only have Gimp and couldn't find an equivalent to that. Anyway, thank you CW and Roy for your very useful tips and advice :D as I think this is much better than my first version:

7357_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

cheers

Sam

Thanks Roy, it's been quite a learning experience today and I've picked up some valuable tips, thanks! - it is hard to discard half the subs but it's worth it in the end! :D

Sam

What a transformation on the second go! Always discard poor subs., they will only degrade your whole image. Lovey final image, just shows the power of post processing!

Thanks! I was quite blown away over the detail that came through on the second go. :D

That's a very nice result Sam.

It was all in there, just needed to 'sort the wheat from the chaff, followed by a bit of tweaking, which you have done nicely, and 'bingo', a very nice M57.

Well done!!.

Dave

Thanks Dave and Ron. Here's the widefield of the image that the crop was taken from - and the reworked one to compare with:

Widefield:

7393_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Close up:

7394_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Sam

Archived