Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from South Lincs

Balidey

Hello.

Just joined the forum, looking to start my first steps in astronomy.

I have had a passing interest in the subject for a few years, but never took it any further than most people: ie standing in their back garden on nights that the BBC tells us when a once in a lifetime meteor shower is happening.

But now I want to see what is up there. I have never looked through a telescope of any sort. I own no equipment (yet).

I do have some binoculars, an old heavy pair of (IIRC) 8x40 Mirandas and a pair of compact 10x25 Praktica. So neither are ideal or even very good, but it may be one step up from naked eye.

As soon as my copy of Turn Left at Orion turns up I am sure I'll be on my patio, cursing the nearby streetlights.

I am from Spalding, in South Lincs, which from what I have read on here so far, is meant to be good for viewing, with a very big sky. I am at just above sea level with no hills for about 20 miles in all directions.

There was a local club, but again from reading on here it seems it disbanded a few years ago.

I have no set plan on where this hobby is going to go, or even start, but I have been reading this forum for a few days now and thought I would sign up and say hi.

Regards,
Steve

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Steve and welcome to SGL, it starts off wanting to know what's up there, then

when you know, you want to see more, it gets to be an obsession, that's why we keep

looking up, hope you get your first view soon. Enjoy!

Hello Steve, and welcome!

One of the best aspects of astronomy is that you can approach it at any angle. You can just look with your eyes, view through a telescope, image or study the science academically. 

Im in Long Sutton, so not too far from Spalding. 

Andrew

And greetings to you, Steve - welcome aboard SGL!

Just starting out, and you found us? You're most welcome and in the right place to ask all the questions you're bound to have! We all love questions about all-things-astronomy, and we especially love helping to find their answers.

Pull up your chair and make yourself at home,

Dave

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum. Great choice of book by the way and one that will certainly provide you with a strong foundation in knowledge to help you move around the sky and to understand what you're looking at.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay here.

Thanks all for the welcome.

Just found out there is an active club in Peterborough, and their viewing and talk evenings are very close to my work, so I'm sure I'll be popping along to see them very soon.

Hi, welcome to the forum.

And hopefully welcome to the Peterborough astronomical society.

We meet on the first Thursday of the month at 7:30pm. Our new meeting room is at Sacrewell Farm, Wansford.

Look forward to meeting you there.

Nigel

Archived