Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

SGL 2017 SP

m.tweedy

Octagonal Observatory

m.tweedy    363
13 hours ago, Merlin66 said:

Michael, Thanks!!

I used the "Canopus 320" which I built in the late 70's for visual SN work. I checked hundreds of charts for Gregg Thompson and the "Supernova Search Charts"

I could get 15.5 mag limit from 15Km north of the city of Melbourne Australia.

Haaaa those were the days!!

SNChart_1365small.jpg

I think what used to be achieved remarkable and the dedication involved staggering. Giants are standing on my shoulders. ;-) 

Ouroboros    808
23 minutes ago, m.tweedy said:

Or in my case you employ a Carpenter as i have neither the skills or the physical ability (back bolted) since my operation.

I'm sure it was an interesting and unusual project for him. It would be interesting to know in approximate terms how much the cost of doing it this way compares with buying a ready made observatory. 

m.tweedy    363
46 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

I'm sure it was an interesting and unusual project for him. It would be interesting to know in approximate terms how much the cost of doing it this way compares with buying a ready made observatory. 

A lot more expensive. Its the shape that created a lot of waste. However that is what it took for it to be approved I could have bought a Pulsar 2.2 metre dome and put cladding around the base cheaper. About £4k in total.

Ouroboros    808
19 minutes ago, m.tweedy said:

A lot more expensive. Its the shape that created a lot of waste. However that is what it took for it to be approved I could have bought a Pulsar 2.2 metre dome and put cladding around the base cheaper. About £4k in total.

Ooooh!  I vaguely thought it might come out about half as much as for a Pulsar observatory alone. Mind you, the total cost of a Pulsar 2.2m observatory, with pier, drives, installation etc, is in the region of £6k.  That's not including the base. 

m.tweedy    363
1 hour ago, Ouroboros said:

Ooooh!  I vaguely thought it might come out about half as much as for a Pulsar observatory alone. Mind you, the total cost of a Pulsar 2.2m observatory, with pier, drives, installation etc, is in the region of £6k.  That's not including the base. 

Mine has no drives. Purely 1 Michael power to turn it. Gas struts from a Zafira lift the lid.

• Like 1