Octagonal Observatory

m.tweedy

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

bit more progress

IMG_1498.JPGIMG_1499.JPG

now with 18mm exterior ply  (on its side showing all of the temporary bracing).

IMG_1532.JPG

galvanized ring beam going on

IMG_1530.JPGIMG_1529.JPG

first of the 16 bearings 

IMG_1534.JPG

the side rollers assembled ready to attach.

IMG_1545.JPGIMG_1543.JPG

the theory is they will roll along the edge of the galvanized beam to hold the roof in position.

THE BIG LIFT IS WEDNESDAY (weather dependent).

• 3 weeks later...

A bit more progress and an alternative use for a clothes prop

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Front lift off cover with radiator hangers. More work and a little rethink needed

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Door now on

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Little Narnia door that allows me to access the side of the shed

image.jpeg

Roof due to be skinned in next 2 weeks

• 2 weeks later...

Internal insulation on the walls done. The spare bits of ply are being trimmed to make the internal walls

image.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpeg

Roof now skinned. It's rotates fine on the 16 bearings but the front hatch is heavy to lift off. A little 12v winch to help lower it springs to mind along with some gas struts to raise the top

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 8 months later...

When I saw the title of this thread I immediately thought of the OctoDome I build back in the 80's.

Easy to build, flat panels, two-section wide slit; doors for low altitude objects and roll back top shutter for the rest....

Even added some windows! (Reject toughened, double glazed units for the high speed train project!)

Worked very very well for over ten years.

Observatory 1984.jpg

canopus320_1984.jpg

5 hours ago, Merlin66 said:

When I saw the title of this thread I immediately thought of the OctoDome I build back in the 80's.

Yes. I like octagonal observatories. You get 20% more inside space for the same sized walls.

On 10/09/2017 at 01:20, Merlin66 said:

Easy to build, flat panels, two-section wide slit; doors for low altitude objects and roll back top shutter for the rest....

Even added some windows! (Reject toughened, double glazed units for the high speed train project!)

Worked very very well for over ten years.

Observatory 1984.jpg

canopus320_1984.jpg

Now thats a proper Observatory and scope

Michael, Thanks!!

I used the "Canopus 320" which I built in the late 70's for visual SN work. I checked hundreds of charts for Gregg Thompson and the "Supernova Search Charts"

I could get 15.5 mag limit from 15Km north of the city of Melbourne Australia.

Haaaa those were the days!!

SNChart_1365small.jpg

@m.tweedy.  Marvellous and well executed project!  I'm so often amazed at the DIY skills of many amateur astronomers. It must be above the average of the general population I would have thought.  I wonder why that is?   For some reason the confidence and ability to do something like this passed me by. :)

6 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

@m.tweedy.  Marvellous and well executed project!  I'm so often amazed at the DIY skills of many amateur astronomers. It must be above the average of the general population I would have thought.  I wonder why that is?   For some reason the confidence and ability to do something like this passed me by. :)

Or in my case you employ a Carpenter as i have neither the skills or the physical ability (back bolted) since my operation.

Archived