SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A Nice Pair

John

One of my favourite lunar observing targets is well placed tonight, close to the terminator and with interesting illumination.

It's the crater pair Messier and Messier A in the Mare Fecunditatis. Messier A has distinctive long rays extending from it away from the nearby Messier. Interesting to think about how these two formed. Here is a piece by Charles A Wood on the pair:

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/celestial-objects-to-watch/messier-on-the-moon/

Well worth looking out for these two if you have clear skies tonight and they should be visible in most scopes at a medium magnification.

:smiley:   :smiley:

Ah, i have a book which i purchased all about lunar craters and observing them. I've seen this and it is a wonderful target on the moon. However my favorite target on the moon is  Rupes Recta (The straight wall) :D

Also that image is amazing, i love high res images on our moon.  Have you checked this out: http://target.lroc.asu.edu/q3/ You can keep zooming into the surface up to 0.5 meters per pixel.

Unfortunately it's been raining most of the evening so no chance of observing tonight. I did managed to catch this pair last night but they were further from the terminator and not so well lit, the rays from Messier A were quite hard to see.

Was avoiding the moon tonight and had a cracking time viewing Uranus, NGC7662 & NGC6826 to name but a few things I viewed. Just finished 10 mins ago as the moon was just raising above my shrubbery to spoil the dark corner of my front garden. Hehe! ;) 

Hi John. Just found your pair?.  Got the Az out and the 120 apo and a nice Pentax in.  Sky's have been clear but clouds starting to move across now.Took a little bit of searching for and confirmed with the photo on your link page. But it's there alright . A confirmation target for me and I know now what it's called now . Learned something new tonight☺

9 hours ago, Yamez said:

Ah, i have a book which i purchased all about lunar craters and observing them. I've seen this and it is a wonderful target on the moon. However my favorite target on the moon is  Rupes Recta (The straight wall) :D

Also that image is amazing, i love high res images on our moon.  Have you checked this out: http://target.lroc.asu.edu/q3/ You can keep zooming into the surface up to 0.5 meters per pixel.

Thanks Yamez

I'm going to be late for work now!!??

Paul

56 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

Thanks Yamez

I'm going to be late for work now!!??

Paul

Haha, it's an amazing website. I spent a lot of time searching and looking at the apollo landings, you can see the actual landing modules, also can see the trails the lunar rovers have created.

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/10/2016 at 22:01, Yamez said:

Thanks for the link, definitely a worthy bookmark 

• 2 months later...

Just been observing the Messier pair plus their amazing orthogonal ejecta patterns tonight :thumbsup: - really stunning at 250x in my 15", despite being at only 18° altitude here when I was out. Seeing didn't warrant higher mag tbh.

John,

thanks for the Sky and Telescope link - I never took notice of the "butterfly"-form ejecta near the craters; the explanation of the underlying mechanisms is very interesting!

Have you tried to spot the Rima Messier close by? It is a tough nut, even with an 18"; but I've seen it twice two years ago, using 512x mag with a 4mmf orthoscopic. I took the small craters Secchi X (4,8 km) and Secchi K (6,5 km) as pointers; the Rima Messier extends between them both. Never seen it in smaller scopes, but I'll give it a try again with the 13.1" Odyssey (which has got a good mirror) during the next months.

Stephan

Archived