Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A terrible start with the Lunt LS60THa

swag72

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suppose that is understandable-Well, if the mood strikes, let us know where you stand! I have quite a few close neighbors and general friends who have Lunt 60's (pressure and tilt tuned versions!), as well as a few 50's and 80' s.  Also a few members of a local solar club i know quite well in turn know a few employees of Lunt Solar Systems personally :) so we may be able to get you pointed in the right direction and viewing!

2 hours ago, OnceWaser said:

Also a few members of a local solar club i know quite well in turn know a few employees of Lunt Solar Systems personally :) so we may be able to get you pointed in the right direction and viewing!

Now THAT is where to be!

Please stay close, OnceWaser? ??

Sorry, should have also said welcome to the forum. No, really welcome!

16 minutes ago, Floater said:

Now THAT is where to be!

Please stay close, OnceWaser? ??

Sorry, should have also said welcome to the forum. No, really welcome!

Please feel free to message me at any time, I am always impressed by the Astronomy community in total with how open and helpful everyone is with one another. And for me, Its one of the perks of living in Arizona- it seems to have a nice mix of people in many different avenues doing awesome things. Solar Viewing absolutely included :) and I happen to live in Tucson, where the scopes are being manufactured.

• 5 months later...

In the interests of completion..... I thought it was only right to finally finish this sad thread with some positivity.........

I sent the blocking filter off to Germany for a service as the green / blue filter was terrible and also I didn't know of some of the gunk would be on the Ha filter too. 10 days from posting it comes back (nothing to pay) and we put it in the scope....

WOW!!!! I saw a prominence (albeit it small) as well as the filament that is currently on the surface (that looked rather like a flying bird outline). The Lunt zoom works really well and we are really pleased with it. If only I'd sent the blocking filter off 18 months ago!!! 

Now I am wondering whether we can get closer still (The Lunt zoom is 7.5mm) - Would a Nagler zoom work well? Can the scope stand that sort of magnification? I would like to see a little closer!!!

All in all, both me and my Mum are thrilled...... I guess I know why this was sold on! I'm guessing that the previous owner was as disappointed as we were initially :) 

Hurray, glad it's sorted Sara, well done for persevering, and kudos to Lunt for their no quibble service.

I used the Badder Zoom with mine for a while now using the Leica, as always much depends on the seeing just see how far you can push it.

Typical there's not much happening ATM but there have been some nice big proms recently so fingers crossed for more action soon.

Dave

Perhaps some sort of sticky in the solar section would be good to alert folk to this problem as I only discovered it in mine by accident.

19 minutes ago, swag72 said:

Thanks Helen and Dave!!! What is the maximum magnification you use in your solar scope @Helen ? I just feel that the Lunt at 7.5mm is just too short 

I like full disks Sara, so my usual weapon of choice is a 6.5 -19.5 pentax zoom.  My focal length at 432 is a bit shorter than your 500, so not much difference in image scale.

Have you got a barlow? 

I'm at some point going to try screwing a barlow element into my zoom to see how it works (my filter set has also just come back from having its bf sorted out!).  I find a zoom works well to tune scale to seeing and features.  

You could always stick a webcam in it... ?

Helen

36 minutes ago, swag72 said:

Thanks Helen and Dave!!! What is the maximum magnification you use in your solar scope @Helen ? I just feel that the Lunt at 7.5mm is just too short 

For me the range is 14mm down to 10mm with around 12mm my favourite. I do like to see the whole disk though.

14mm is good all year round. 12mm mostly good all the time and 10mm is fine in the summer when sun is higher.

Plenty of folks use 8mm but it's too much for my double stack and not for me.

Alan

So happy you have finally solved your problem. I can use a 5.5 mm ES in my Lunt 50 but the seeing has to very good. I agree that a 12 mm ep usually gives the best views. Don’t worry when there is a large prom present you will see plenty of detail.

Great stuff! I have the LS60 and the maximum magnification I use for proms in excellent seeing is 6.5mm  using the same zoom that Helen uses. I would say that the Nagler zoom would be too much. As you get to know the scope more you'll find yourself preferring slightly less magnification and greater sharpness and detail

Archived