Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2.thumb.jpg.7719b6f2fbecda044d407d8aba503777.jpg

plierle

8" Reflector for Full-Frame DSLR? (AT8in vs Orion 8")

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy an 8" newt for astrophotography with my Canon 6D full frame. I'm really only going to be using it for imaging so visual problems (such as back focus) aren't too much of a concern for me. 

I'm aware that probably whatever scope I get won't cover a full frame sensor without vignetting, but does anyone have an opinion on which would be the best?

I have a CGEM mount and Baader MPCC mkIII. 

The ones I've been looking at right now are:

1.Orion 8" f/3.9 Newtonian Astrograph

2.Astro-Tech f/4 Imaging Newtonian 

I've also heard of the Sky-Watcher Quattro series and Meade LX70 series, I just haven't heard as much about either of those.

Also, optics are my #1 concern. Things like weight or minor mechanical shortcomings that I could potentially fix are not as great factors.

Thanks for your input!

Patrick

Vignetting won't be your main problem but the size of the corrected image circle. I think you'll find it difficult to cover a full frame sensor with most small scopes (only a couple of Takahashi refractors have a big enough corrected image circle). Indeed this is one of the main reasons I've not bought a full frame DSLR, I could never use it with my scopes!

With scopes and Baader MPCC coma corrector you are proposing coverage of an APS-C sized sensor is just about possible. So yes- any of these scopes will be useable, just expect to crop off a fair bit of the image to get round stars. Full frame astro would be great with some nice L series lenses though!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By wavydavy
      Canon 450D Modified for astrophotography, the IR cut filter has been removed for better response on red emission nebula in deep sky objects. Comes with battery, and charger. Shutter count is (atm) 5914, see picture 4. The camera is in great condition, throughout. No lens, just body. Will post special delivery. message me if you have any questions. Price is £150.

• By Lachlan
      Hi everyone, 
      as the title suggests, I've noticed that the RA axis of my HEQ5 pro mount has some give. I don't notice it while the clutch is unlocked, but it's very obvious with a locked RA clutch. Any suggestions on what could be causing it/what adjustments need to be made? 
      Thanks 
    • By stardude07
      Hello,
      I am wanting (not really 😪) to sell my Stellarvue SV105-3SV with tube rings [not shown in pictures]. The telescope is in great condition with very little dust and no scratches. There is one very small ding in the dew shield paint but it is not dented and it is almost not even noticeable. It happened when I took the telescope out of the saddle and it lightly hit the saddle. The telescope has never been dropped or had any issues and is optically perfect with a strehl of .95 or higher (claimed by Stellarvue).
      I've only used this telescope for imaging however I've once or twice thrown an eyepiece in it during a star party or two and it's VERY crisp with no false color.
      Currently I live in Italy so that's where it can be picked up or shipped from. Price is negotiable however Stellarvue says it is worth around $1200-$1500 USD. The nice thing is you wouldn't have any VAT from Stellarvue . Please let me know if you have any questions, comments or are interested.
      Lastly, here is a link to some images that I've taken with it and what it looks like mounted up: https://www.astrobin.com/users/chriscorkill/
      SV105-3SV Specifications
      Aperture: 105mm Apochromatic Precision Triplet Focuser: 3" Dual Speed Focuser with 2" and 1.25" eye piece adapters F Ratio: f/7 Focal Length: 735mm Color Correction: Excellent Minimum Tube Length: 16" in travel mode Tube Diameter: ~ 4-1/8" (105mm) Dew Shield Diameter: ~ 5-3/8" (137mm) OTA Weight: ~12lbs (5.4kg) Retractable Dewshield: Yes

• By stardude07
      Hello,
      I have a question about filterwheels; SBIG filter wheels specifically. As far as I know they are the only ones that really use the 8 position filter wheels. So I have it loaded with L, R, G, B, Ha, OIII, and SII. So that is seven filters, what goes in the 8th slot???
      Thank you for your insight,
      Christopher

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.