Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi from Essex

Mognet

Hi,

New to SGL but not totally new to astronomy having been introduced to it in my younger years when my brother showed me Jupiter and Saturn through his telescope. Recently had my interest rekindled after I dug out my old Meade 60mm refractor and saw Pleiades in detail again. I've since treated myself to a SkyWatcher 200p Dobsonion to explore the skies with. Found the Ring Nebula last night, despite the full moon and light pollution here, so I'm happy. Did take a good moon shot too. Single shot with a Nikon D3100, only processed for brightness and contrast.

My girlfriend is now encouraging me to build an observatory too. It's tempting :icon_biggrin:

DSC_6959.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to SGL!!!! That's a great moon shot and to have such an encouraging girlfriend...... :) It would be madness not to take her up on her generosity (especially before it changes :D )

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Hi im new to all this i have just purchased a celestron  nexstar slt 102, im disabled and finding it quite hard as in a wheelchair was going to purchase a meade etx 80 but got put of as it has no way to work from external power other then batteries and was told it is heavy on batteries any advise would be appreciated i think i went in with my eyes shut

Sorry i forgot to add this,it is heavy for me to keep getting in and out also i am finding it hard setting it up properly when i spoke to chap in shop he said you dont need to know where stars are it does it all for you,well i think the meade would but this one does not 

I don't have this telescope but I think to use you align it first using two or it maybe three stars, but once you've learnt where the stars that might be used are you are away.

Perhaps did you also buy the celestron starsense? (Quite pricey so you would know if you had)

Hello and welcome aboard SGL - it's great to have you here!

A 200mm Newtonian on a Dobsonian-Mount - a most capable instrument which opens-up the deep-sky territory in it's totality! Good job.

Always feel free to ask any & all astro-oriented queries in the many forums here. We all love helping to find the answers.

Clear & dark skies,

Dave

On 19/10/2016 at 00:53, Dave In Vermont said:

Hello and welcome aboard SGL - it's great to have you here!

A 200mm Newtonian on a Dobsonian-Mount - a most capable instrument which opens-up the deep-sky territory in it's totality! Good job.

Always feel free to ask any & all astro-oriented queries in the many forums here. We all love helping to find the answers.

Clear & dark skies,

Dave

Thanks everyone.

And thanks Dave. I've set up Stellarium to mimic the 200p and I found last night that I should be able to see the Horsehead nebula through it. Now all I need is clear skies and Orion to rise over the house at a more sensible time!

I see what you mean. And the local light pollution isn't going to help even if it is on the darker side of the sky. Worth a try though and there are plenty of other things to look at in that region if I can't find it.

Stellarium thinks I'll see this much with the 25mm EP, if I'm lucky

Horsehead nebula.png

Archived