SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

An unexpected surprise

Scooot

Our table for two was perched right on the edge of the cliff top restaurant, with a sweeping view of the bay at Funchal, and its backdrop of dramatic mountains. We had already been treated with a view of Venus, Saturn, and Mars shining brightly over the sea shortly after sunset. Later, quite unexpectedly, we noticed a bright white glow coming from near the top of the mountain. We speculated that some stadium lights had just come on and then as it grew brighter a dome appeared looking a bit like the O2 lit up from within. For a brief moment we were flummoxed, then Jane exclaimed " it's the moon!". By now other diners had also noticed, and sounds of awe came from around the terrace. It was quite a sight and a very memorable experience that will stay with us for some time. 
The strange thing is I knew when it was due to rise, but it still took me completely by surprise. It was certainly a wonderful sight.

I snapped this with my phone, which gives some sense of the setting :)
IMG_2241.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Niall, I do too but this was strange. The increasing brightness just before it emerged and it's edge as it peeped above the hill really had us fooled. It sounds daft thinking about it now but that's how it was. :) 

49 minutes ago, Scooot said:

Thanks Niall, I do too but this was strange. The increasing brightness just before it emerged and it's edge as it peeped above the hill really had us fooled. It sounds daft thinking about it now but that's how it was. :) 

I know what you mean Richard, I had a very similar experience in Samos, took me a while to work out what the bright light was!

Archived