Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telescope storage/observatory

poogle

Hi

I've been reading topics with awe in this forum section for a couple of months, and a couple of days ago I finally decided to build something :) I early gave up the thought of building a regular observatory since the horizon is obstructed in all directions. I live close to an airport in Stockholm, Sweden and only use my scope for astrophotography (narrowband). The thought of having my scope in an observatory or shed in the garden would keep me awake every night thinking about burglars.

So I came up with the idea to just build some kind of box on my second floor balcony which just only fits my mount and scope. It's less than ideal (close to the house and might get a bit wobbly) but I figured that it's better than the current status of my setup (my wive uses it as a coat hanger and my son uses it while learning to stand) :). The south and west views are quite unobstructed and I will be able to sit in my living room controlling everything.

The inside of the box will measure 1.2 x 1.2 x 1.2 meters, I think that'll be just enough to allow scope movements in every direction.

I'll upload some pictures of the build as it progress.

/Patrik

• Like 1

Have made some progress! Finished the base, box frame and lid frame. Next step will be to decide on materials for the roof and walls.

My two concerns so far is the weight of the lid, and how to handle moisture once the scope is in place

IMG_20161013_112019.jpg

IMG_20161015_164934.jpg

IMG_20161017_111321.jpg

The roof is coming along nicely. As suspected it'll be really heavy, so have to come up with a good solution for opening and closing...some heavy duty hinges maybe?

I will lay some kind of asphalt paper (don't know what it's called in english, sorry :) ) on top to keep the weight down

IMG_20161018_114536.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, poogle said:

As suspected it'll be really heavy, so have to come up with a good solution for opening and closing...some heavy duty hinges maybe?

Could add a simple pulley driven counterweight system such as seen on trap doors?

Thanks, that's a good idea!

Anyone know what those "spring openers" are called (see attached image). A pair of those (but more sturdy) might do the trick?

Also laid roof today. I'm very pleased with the progress so far :)

IMG_20161020_115606.jpg

IMG-20161020-WA0001.jpeg

On 17.10.2016 at 20:31, poogle said:

Hi

I've been reading topics with awe in this forum section for a couple of months, and a couple of days ago I finally decided to build something :) I early gave up the thought of building a regular observatory since the horizon is obstructed in all directions. I live close to an airport in Stockholm, Sweden and only use my scope for astrophotography (narrowband). The thought of having my scope in an observatory or shed in the garden would keep me awake every night thinking about burglars.

So I came up with the idea to just build some kind of box on my second floor balcony which just only fits my mount and scope. It's less than ideal (close to the house and might get a bit wobbly) but I figured that it's better than the current status of my setup (my wive uses it as a coat hanger and my son uses it while learning to stand) :). The south and west views are quite unobstructed and I will be able to sit in my living room controlling everything.

It's a smart concept, building a scope shed on your balcony. It gives more peace of mind than having it in an accessible garden. When I let my scope stay outside at night for an early morning session, I also put it on the balcony upstairs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Hi poogle,

take a look at my remote observatory thread lots of info, you could also instead of using that "Kitchen Cupboard Door Flap Hinge" use a gas strut.

2 hours ago, RayD said:

Perfect, a pair of gas struts it is! Just have to make sure that the supporting wall and hinges are rigid enough.

Gonzo: your thread is what got me started, so thanks for the inspiration :)

2 hours ago, Davey-T said:

May be a bit late now but have you treated the timber with any sort of preservative ?

Dave

The timber that is in contact with the balchony floor is treated. It's not too late for the other parts though, maybe I should paint the plywood facing down as well? 

2 hours ago, Linda said:

It's a smart concept, building a scope shed on your balcony. It gives more peace of mind than having it in an accessible garden. When I let my scope stay outside at night for an early morning session, I also put it on the balcony upstairs.

It sure does! Have you noticed any stability (or other) issues?

2 hours ago, Davey-T said:

May be a bit late now but have you treated the timber with any sort of preservative ?

+1  One of those little manual insecticide sprayers and even a clear coat so you don't notice overspray will stop all the bits open to damp becoming rotten very quickly.  The sprayers help you get in all the little nooks and crannies.

4 hours ago, Gonzo said:

I wouldn't use a waterproof membrane, use a breathable one if you can.

Don't think I'll use a membrane of any sort, at least not initially. The plastic sheet in the pictures are just to protect from rain during the build. I think I'll have to keep track of humidity when the box is finished.

If it gets too humid in the box I'll have to reconsider, maybe isolate it and add some kind of membrane and perhaps a dehumidifier. Seems like opinions on how to handle humidity varies alot depending on who you ask, I'm having a really hard time deciding on what to do about it... :homework:

I was in the same boat as you when I started planning for my box, the humidity/damp/dew question that we all ask ourselves...

Shall I seal the box, shall I insulate it, do I run a dehumidifier etc...? Spent days and days on Astro forums and Google.

What has worked for me is the ventilation within the box, it's key. A passive vent at the bottom and an active vent (ie: solar fan) at the top.

A constant air flow :)

As for the breathable membrane, I'm sure it helped somehow.

vapor_barrier.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Pooge. I see you are in Sweden, I'm located in Oslo Norway (my obsy will be closer to Drammen)

I feel your consern about location. I have also opted for a obsy on the second floor balcony. When it comes to stability and such I do not see it as a problem. Until now I have been setting up my scope on tripod on the balcony spending 30 mins or so to PA and calibrate, and I do get upt to 660sec guided subs. With my tripod on the balcony I get one tripod leg on it's own (flimsy) floor board, and as long as I stay clear, it's not very unstable. I did have a hard time when focusing manually, but after I got a focus motor things work better.

I think the Norwegian building instructions (if building a house) say that from the inside of the building you would have: Inside paneling, vapor barrier, insulation, struts, breathable membrane then cladding. The vapor barrier keeps moisture getting in to the walls, the insulation keeps things hot, the struts lets water that gets under the cladding pour away, and the cladding looks good and holds up against the weather.

This is in my mind a overkill for a obsy. I opted for (from inside) insulation, vapor barrier and then cladding. The barrier keeps everything wather proof if anything gets under the cladding. If moisture condenses on the inside then I have a vent fan to extract the moisture. In a building this would be hard, but my obsi is slightly bigger than a cube meter! With a passive inlet at the bottom and the fan mounted high in the obsy i hope it will keep things dry. (Probably a point to mention that my obsy is on it's way to be installed outside, and everything I say is guesstemates). The fan Im using is designed to keep moisture out of wet rooms like a shower. So that's a mutch bigger room with a lot of moisture.

I did notice you did not mention any insolation. I went with 2cm thick styrofoam plates. This scandinavian winters do get cold and I do feel a little more on the safe side with insulation. EPS s80 2cm X 60cm X 120cm costs 14.50,- per plate in expencive Maxbo! Probably 2/3 of that in Sweden :)https://www.maxbo.no/eps-s80-20x600x1200-glava-p902743

• Like 2

Thanks for your indepth posts Gonzo and Magnus, seems like ventilation is the way to go then :)

Theres one thing I cannot understand though: wont ventilation make the inside of the box as humid as the outside if not adding any heat source? I don't really want to store my scope permanently in the box if the humidity rises above 80% on a regular basis...I guess I'll have to resort to trial and error :) I'll give it a go and see what works

• Like 1

Finally some progress today after one week on Cyprus :)

Made the frame more rigid and mounted hinges and they handled the weight of the roof without problems. Had my doubts about how they would cope when the roof is open but all seems fine! 

IMG_20161031_114007.jpg

IMG_20161031_114003.jpg

• Like 1

Painted the planks for the walls today. It had to be done inside due to the zero deg outside temperature :( On the upside I now know that the roof can withstand both heavy rain and a following snowstorm :)

IMG-20161103-WA0000.jpg

• Like 1