SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Messier 33 **PROCESSING CHALLENGE**

johnrt

4 hours ago, gorann said:

I wonder a bit about the yellow structures in the centre that some of us brought out and some not, like me. Did I lose them somewhere during processing? I only used Photoshop CS5 by the way.

Depending on the way I colour calibrated the image, I could pull this out. In PI I tried both ordinary colour calibration and linear fit. Linear fit didn't reveal the yellow core. When using colour calibration taking the whole galaxy as white reference, the result was different. Which one is correct? I don't know; I'm not particularly true to the data, I suspect.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, gorann said:

I question struck me while processing this image: can we really see stars in another galaxy with a 6" telescope (or rather take pictures of them)? Or what else are those bright spots in the arms of M33? If they are stars I assume they must be enormous.

It is possible to resolve some of the brightest stars at this distance. This thread is well worth a look, it shows an annotated Andromeda shot with a 12" scope. It includes the famous 'var 1' Cepheid variable imaged by Edwin Hubble, which proved that it was a separate galaxy outside the Milky Way. At about mag 19 it stands out well. From here, a few of the brighter stars in the NGC 206 star cloud in M33 are around mag 14-16, they can be picked out with quite modest equipment such as in my 200mm lens shot of Andromeda. These stars are all hyper-luminous giants so they completely outshine anything else that happens to be in the vicinity.

I'm not sure if you're seeing individual stars above though, they might be clusters.

Edit - I see johnrt cross-posted something similar. :)

2 hours ago, johnrt said:

I'm unsure if these you have pointed out are clusters of new born stars or perhaps orbiting globular clusters, but they are clearly within M33 not our own Milky Way by the way they follow the curve of the spiral arm.

As to the question "Can you image a single star in another galaxy with just a 6" OTA?", the answer is a definite yes, there is a confirmed a luminous hypergiant visible in my image, the star is B324 and is just to the northern edge of IC 142, here is a crop of my image with the annotation added for the star B324.

b324.jpg

M33 isn't the only galaxy in which you can image a single star either! Here is my image of Hubble's Cepheid Variable in M31 taken with the same 6" RC.

25935520702_99b64b3f80_b.jpg

Mind boggling isn't it!!! :D

Yes it is mind boggling! Now I remember that Hubble's Cepheid Variable in M31 from one of your threads:

and that I even managed to find it in one of my own images, but I had to press the processing a lot, while the galaxy arms in M33 seems to be full of "stars" - or what look like stars for us Milky Way people, maybe they are clusters or star forming clouds. In any case, there are much more of them in M33 than in M31 for some reason (maybe the angle from where we see these galaxies)

Thank you John! In this awful weather this was really fun. Nice data!

Processed in PI. L and R channel blended with Ha, but previously it has been preprocessed a bit to use only the differences of Ha and R in the final picture, avoiding to move the whole wb into red. The draft workflow: DBE, calibration, deconv, histotrans, HDMRT, noise reduction, and some final curves.

M33_HaRGB_JohnRT.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

4 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Astronomy Now monthly astro' magazine.

Dave

4 minutes ago, johnrt said:

Astronomy Now magazine :) 

Aha! This is a bit embarrassing but have to admit that I never heard of it but then I am not British and mainly go for sources on the net. Is it better than Sky at Night which is the only magazine I subscribe to? I could change my subscription.

1 minute ago, gorann said:

Aha! This is a bit embarrassing but have to admit that I never heard of it but then I am not British and mainly go for sources on the net. Is it better than Sky at Night which is the only magazine I subscribe to? I could change my subscription.

I have both on subscription but in my opinion Astronomy Now is the better magazine.

Dave

Archived