Dusty aquisition

A family friend, whom my wife informed that I was spending my evenings awake and then coming to bed with cold feet has passed on a telescope. It's a Celestron CD150 Newtonian and a box of eyepieces. It came with the warning that it was very dusty.

I followed advice I found here regreased the focuser and tightened it up and cleaned the outside. There is some dust on the primary mirror although it gave pretty clear views of Perseus double cluster last night.

So I am just wondering would you attempt to clean the dust from inside or leave well alone? Secondly would dry lens cleaning tissues for cameras be adequate for eyepieces?

I wouldn't worry to much about the dust on your primary mirror, but cleaning eyepieces has to be

done properly and with care, as not to damage the coatings, I, and a lot of folks here in S G L use

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-optics-cleaning-protection/baader-optical-wonder-fluid.html

and the cloth, others do use other products but this works very well.

If you can see yourself in it leave it alone, people in my view spend too much time cleaning a whole array of astro stuff when it is not required. A larger scope yes but I can hold my hand infront of the main mirror and I cannot detect any difference so a bit of dust isn't going to hurt.

You should also invest in a blower bulb. Before using the cleaning cloth it is better to remove loose dust and gunk by blowing. This makes it less likely that you will scratch the eye piece glass. Also always apply a small amount of the cleaning fluid to the cloth and not directly to the eye piece. Have fun with your new scope.

Archived