Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stargazing in the NamibRand Nature Reserve Part 2

DirkSteele

I think it is safe to say that Namibia has become one of my favourite places on earth having visited 4 times in the last 5 years adding up to over a month in the country.  As well as beautiful scenery, wonderful hospitality and amazing activities to participate in, the night skies are some of the best to be found anywhere on earth.  The NamibRand Nature Reserve in the south of the country is gold rated by the International Dark Sky Association.  Back in June I travelled to the Sossusvlei Desert Lodge for a week of stargazing and I have finally collated my notes into an observing report.  The below link will take you to part 2 which covers Wednesday through Friday.

http://alpha-lyrae.co.uk/2016/10/16/stargazing-in-the-namibrand-nature-reserve-part-2/

Comparison.jpg

What a difference 8 hours makes!  There is a Quiver Tree next to the patio of each villa and made for a rather interesting night time photograph.

If you have not read part one of the observing report, you can find here on the link: http://alpha-lyrae.co.uk/2016/10/16/stargazing-in-the-namibrand-nature-reserve-part-1/

Clear skies,

I have wondered about visiting Namibia one day, good place to know about. What sort of cost are the flights and accommodation? Sounds like they need to get themselves a moderate sized fast dobsonian to complement the Meade.

great write ups

PeterW 

A great place and certainly on my wish list!

16 minutes ago, Ruud said:

How's the desert wildlife at night? Do centipedes,  scorpions, snakes and spiders come out?

Naah, they are out during the day, the real scary creatures come out at night such as the tokoloshe :)

The zenith SQM readings of Namibia can be matched in mainland Europe. What cannot be matched is the sky quality close to the horizon. I have this from a number of people who who know both sites well and image in both hemispheres.

Olly

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

I have wondered about visiting Namibia one day, good place to know about. What sort of cost are the flights and accommodation? Sounds like they need to get themselves a moderate sized fast dobsonian to complement the Meade.

great write ups

PeterW 

There are no direct flights to Windhoek (capital of Namibia) direct from the UK, so the normal route I take is London to Joberg in South Africa and then a short flight onwards to Windhoek.  Once there, the choice is a 1 hour flight in small plane to the lodge or about a 6 hour drive in a hire car.  I know Lufthansa fly direct from Germany so the alternative would be a short flight to Germany and then the long one.  Unfortunately the flights are not cheap but the earlier you book the more reasonable it can be.

The &Beyond Sossusvlei Lodge is expensive, on our last trip it was about US$ 1,250 per night.  However, there are many far more reasonably priced accommodation choices available, some which do have telescopes as well as dedicated astronomy camps which have a wide variety of scopes on offer.

2 hours ago, Ruud said:

That Milky Way image certainly convinced me!

How's the desert wildlife at night? Do centipedes,  scorpions, snakes and spiders come out?

I have come across a few scorpions and spiders during the day and evening.  You don't tend to see them at night (its too dark!) but have also run into some jackals, porcupines and a rabbit (yes a rabbit) that charged me in the dark.  Really made me jump!  In the south there are not many predators so it is relatively safe though you still need to be vigilant as they do exist.  Further north, unless you are fenced in, it would be too dangerous....Lions, Leopards etc..

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

The zenith SQM readings of Namibia can be matched in mainland Europe. What cannot be matched is the sky quality close to the horizon. I have this from a number of people who who know both sites well and image in both hemispheres.

Olly

I must get one of those devices and take some readings.  The horizon is the thing that amazes me the most.  It is just about as dark there as at the zenith.

An absolutely stunning report as I have come to expect from yourself, so detailed. I believe I said this before that whilst you clear like this lodge very much I do feel it needs another scope as I know how limited the 12 inch SC is, even a 190mm Mak/Newt would be great for wider views of some targets and will not break the bank.

Alan 

6 hours ago, alan potts said:

An absolutely stunning report as I have come to expect from yourself, so detailed. I believe I said this before that whilst you clear like this lodge very much I do feel it needs another scope as I know how limited the 12 inch SC is, even a 190mm Mak/Newt would be great for wider views of some targets and will not break the bank.

Alan 

Thanks Alan. Completely agree, any kind of instrument with a shorter focal length to compliment the main scope would be a huge positive for the astronomy experience at the lodge. The idea of a replacement scope like an 18" Dob with a shorter focal ratio (f/4 type) would be a substantial improvement over the LX200 as well. Guess we wait to see what budget considerations will permit.

I spent some time exploring Namibia in the late 80s and I completely fell in love with the place. It feels really prehistoric and primeval and this makes it an extra special place to observe the heavens. Your wonderful report really made me feel like I was there again. Thanks!

Archived