SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Cassiopeia to Cygnus

First time time out for my Samyang 14mm f2.8 lens on a tracking mount, here's a very wide shot of the Milky Way from Cassiopeia to Cygnus.

30241859792_651266ab5b_h.jpg

(Click for a larger view.) 16x3 minute subs at f2.8 with my modded 1100D, no flats or darks.

Just a few stars and DSOs on view. Tried to take flats but they overexposed in the red channel (using AV mode), so used Gradient Xterminator to sort out the vignetting. Processing was my usual erratic shuffling back and forth between Canon DPP, Photoshop and StarTools. I'm happy with the final result but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Good to be back imaging again after a long break.

Love it! I have been thinking of investing in the Samyang... 

Its like gallery of dso's from heart and soul up to the crescent (i think i can just about make it out). I can see the cocoon hanging just to the right of, and below the elephant complex.

Lovely colours...

Just stunning!

I am always amazed with images like this, that I cannot find the stars I know in my night sky!

It would be nice to publish a second side/side version with reduced stars so I and see the usual 'city' stars to put things in reference for me.

M31 at the bottom does help a bit with frame of reference

Mark

12 hours ago, nucdoc said:

I am always amazed with images like this, that I cannot find the stars I know in my night sky!

It would be nice to publish a second side/side version with reduced stars so I and see the usual 'city' stars to put things in reference for me.

I sometimes have that problem viewing the skies down in Cornwall. I couldn't get the image to plate-solve but here's a roughly equivalent view in Stellarium:

30446781356_8ae094d282_h.jpg

30241859792_651266ab5b_h.jpg

Archived