Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Eagle Nebula using the HST Pallet

nandopg

M16 lies from Eartf around 6.000Light ears, is located on the Serpens Cauda Constelationn and it is described as an open cluster with nebulosity,
The stalr mass of the open cluster is thought to be about 20000 time the solar mass of the Sun
The apparent cluster size of 8' correponds to 14 light years.
The open cluster is emmbedded in a gas cloud from which the cluster formed and the star forming is still going on.
Young hot stars ionizes the gas cloud making it to glow as a H2 region, cataloged as IC4703, which is nicknamed the Eagle Nebula or the Star Queen Nebula.
This region is well known due to the Pillars of Creation, just SE of the open cluster, with an elephant trunks shape. The pillars are regions of dark molecular gas and dust that are being eroded by intense radiation from the stars to their NW. Stars in M-16 are thought to progress in age, from young in NE, around 1 million years, to older, with 3 million years, in SE, possibily because star fromation in this region was progressively triggered by an interaction starting on the south several million years ago with a giante molecular shell created early by suoernovae explosions.
Also the dark filaments can be seen lying on the Ha region.

The Image:
Steck: 6x 1200sec for ech channel of Ha S2 and O3
Scope: Skywatcher QuatroCF 10" f/4
Camera: SX-694 Trio

Comments are welcome

M16_Final3.jpg

20 hours ago, Pig said:

Blimey... what a fantastic sight :drunken_smilie:

Thank you so much.

Fernando

19 hours ago, seanpius said:

great image,love it

Thank you for the comment and appreciation,

Best Regards,

Fernando

Great image Fernando, lots of nice detail and sharpness.  

However two comments, it's a little light for me, the detail in the lighter area would benefit from a bit more contrast.

Red stars??  Where did they come from?

Carole 

On 16/10/2016 at 14:52, carastro said:

Great image Fernando, lots of nice detail and sharpness.  

However two comments, it's a little light for me, the detail in the lighter area would benefit from a bit more contrast.

Red stars??  Where did they come from?

Carole 

Hi Carole, thank you so much for your kind words and observations.

I actually did a reprocessing to make this image more contrasty.  I will delete the first version replacing it by the repro version.

The stars you mentioned are: Tycho 5689-276 and HIP 89747, both with spectral class K which means orange or redish color.

Normally I like to set up all stars white in narrow band images, as you can't do the proper white balance to reproduce with more fidelity the spectral class of the stars, and thereby the star color doesn't mean nothing.  However this time I left these stars red just to call the attention to the presence older stars in this area, but this doesn't mean scientific data in terms of spectral class.
I don't know if  answered your question. Did I?

Hi fellows,

Thank you all for the kind comments and remarks, more than generous.

I need some help here:  I have a reprocessed version of this image that I would like to upload, deleting the first version.  Can someone direct me in how should I proceed to do that?

Thank you,

Fernando

6 hours ago, DaveS said:

Why do you want to delete the old image?

Leave it there and we can compare them.

Just to save some space  on the server. Would be ok to keep both images?

Thank you for replying

Fernando

Archived