Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Finally a member

ClipseChasr

Hello SGL members.

I can't explain why it took me so long to join your group. Anyway, here I am. Back about 1968 Uncle Sam took me on a sea cruise. One night while crossing the Atlantic, I walked outside and nearly bumped my head on the Milky Way. I've been hooked ever since. I don't do any science, I'm just a tourist who enjoys the vast beauty of the night sky. I'm currently trying to find an easy way to align a GOTO mount. I invested in a Star Sense for my AVX mount and I'm starting to have some luck with it. However, when I remove the camera and re-mount it, it never seems to be pointing exactly the same way so I have to run through the match the telescope and rescan procedure. When I figure out a way to re-mount the camera so it's exactly like it was when I took it off, things will speed up. Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Greetings and welcome aboard SGL!

We love helping to find answers to any and all astronomy-based questions, so no need to be shy in asking.

I'm not exactly sure your situation with losing the location when you move the camera? Perhaps a flip-mirror could be of use?

https://www.amazon.com/Vixen-Optics-2680-Mirror-Diagonal/dp/B0012QB8QG

I only dabble in video-astrophotography at present.

Dave

On ‎15‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 18:31, ClipseChasr said:

Hello SGL members.

I can't explain why it took me so long to join your group. Anyway, here I am. Back about 1968 Uncle Sam took me on a sea cruise. One night while crossing the Atlantic, I walked outside and nearly bumped my head on the Milky Way. I've been hooked ever since. I don't do any science, I'm just a tourist who enjoys the vast beauty of the night sky. I'm currently trying to find an easy way to align a GOTO mount. I invested in a Star Sense for my AVX mount and I'm starting to have some luck with it. However, when I remove the camera and re-mount it, it never seems to be pointing exactly the same way so I have to run through the match the telescope and rescan procedure. When I figure out a way to re-mount the camera so it's exactly like it was when I took it off, things will speed up. Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

If you unmounts the Starsense you will have to recalibrate as you'll not be able to get it back on the tube exactly the same way. That's because it is a fairly narrow field of view that it has..

Generally, I leave mine attached to the tube and just move it carefully. I've a space where the OTA can sit without rolling and that lets me keep the Starsense upright.

It only takes a few minutes to align, grab a calibration star and realign. I just see it as more time for the tube to cool down :) 

I hate to be such a newby, but so far I can't 

1. Find the FAQ listing on this site.

2. Reply to a single person. I'm not even sure who, if anybody, this is going to.

3. Send a message to multiple people.

4. Figure out how to avoid starting a thread that already exists.

You know, that kind of stuff.

All help will be appreciated.

Tom

Just reply to all by adding a reply in your thread. Can mention someone's forum name if you want to be specific in your comment.

The search facility is at the top of the page with an edit box type what searching for then press enter. If using a mobile device first select the magnifying glass to expose the search box.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived