Another darks question

When taking darks do I need to take one after every light, or can I do a batch of them at the end of the session? Also should I leave a gap between subs to allow the sensor to cool, and if so for how long? Should I also do this with the darks?

I use an Altair GPCAM. Thanks for any help.

Losing imaging time to dark taking would not be a good use of time. More subs will always win.

You might get a better temperature match from a dark taken straight after a light but one dark will add noise, not remove it. You need a stack. So this being so, doing them at the end is the way.

Have you tried ditchng darks altogether? Maybe try a master bias as a dark, dithering between subs and a Sigma stacking routine?

Olly

I'm not guiding yet unfortunately so I can't dither, I've found the sigma stacking works better than the other options even when not dithering. I imagine dithering will have a better effect though.

I don't want to start guiding just yet as I'm playing with the mount to try and get the best performance out of it at the moment. If there's a way to dither without guiding I'd try that.

11 minutes ago, cuivenion said:

I'm not guiding yet unfortunately so I can't dither, I've found the sigma stacking works better than the other options even when not dithering. I imagine dithering will have a better effect though.

I don't want to start guiding just yet as I'm playing with the mount to try and get the best performance out of it at the moment. If there's a way to dither without guiding I'd try that.

I have found that a mount that has erratic PE like my EQ3-2 does a reasonable job at dithering unguided.

Alan

It maybe convenient for you to make a dark library during daytime if your camera can cool down to the same temperature as when making lights, and combine them to a Master dark. The same goes for Bias 

Your camera needs to be really shielded from heat sources, so it won't pick up infrared wavelenghts. Just a cap is usually not enough. If you can not reach the right temperature because too high ambient temperatures, you can put your cam in the fridge.

Leads in between the door rubbers will cause a slight loss of temperature of your fridge of course. Let them out at the top of the door, cold air tends to go down, because of the higher density.

Archived