Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep21_banner.thumb.jpg.d744e66b98367f1c5d57b7966c303f1b.jpg

Chiz

Alternative to SW 80ED for beginners AP?

I have recently bought an HEQ5 Pro mount and was planning to get a SW Evostar 80ED to sit upon it so that I can learn the basics of astrophotography.  I've read here and elsewhere that this really requires the SW .85x reducer/flattener to get any decent results, and that all seems to make sense to me. Unfortunately there are none of these flatteners to be had in the UK, so I have postponed my purchase.

I do have a SW Explorer 150PL, which has been a lot of fun for the last few years and I plan to rest it on the HEQ5 as soon as those clouds move away, but I don't see it as a great tool for DSO AP (although I will be trying some lunar pictures). 

Is there and alternative to the 80ED that would be suitable for a beginner for DSO AP? I'm lucky that my budget can be reasonably flexible (in as much as I have considered the Equinox 80ED), but I don't want to throw money at something that would be wasted on a beginner.  But my impatience to get started means I'd rather not have to wait a couple of months for SW to send some more flatteners to these shores.

I have a Canon 550D DSLR and a Phillips ToUcam PRO II webcam.

[Hmmm. Impatience - yes, I know that is not a good trait for AP.]

TIA,

Edited by Chiz

Unless there is really good reason to believe that the x.85 reducer/flattener will not be available again (and I really can't believe that that is the case) then I would suggest that you buy the SW ED 80 and start to learn the imaging craft while you wait for the availability of the reducer/flattener. To be honest, there is little that comes close to the ED 80 for quality and consistency, not to mention value for money. Long-term, like ANY refractor (excluding a Petzval design) you will want a field flattener but you'll learn so much during that waiting period!

• Like 2

Hi Chiz

As you're used to a newt you might consider a 130pds with a non-SW coma corrector. It has its foibles and pros and cons but it's a nice focal length (650mm) for DSOs as well as being fast at f5. No colour aberrations and easy to handle - not to mention relatively cheap :). See the 'imaging with the 130pds' thread.

Louise

Edited by Thalestris24
  • Like 1

ES do flat field refractors which are built to last. Not very portable, but would be OK on your mount I think. Excellent focuser too. There's also a UK outlet with not so good a  focuser.  HTH.

I use an Altair Astro Lightwave flattener on my ED80 & never had any issues.

• Like 1

Thank-you everyone for your help and advice.  Evostar 80 ED ordered. Looking forward to some clear skies.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By etunar
      Last week I discovered a reasonably wobble on the RA axis on my HEQ5 which ended up causing lots of double stars on my subs (i am guessing because the mount kept wobbling between the two positions.) So I did the worm gear adjustment and the wobble seems to have disappeared. I did a full slew rotation check and couldn't tell any binding/grinding (I had binding at 1st attempt but was resolved after further adjustments).
      Thanks to the clear skies last few nights, I had it running throughout the night 3 times now. My overall guiding is much better than before, averaging between 0.6 and 0.8 Total error. However, when the mount gets closer to the home position (usually after 2-3am), I seem to start having tracking issues. I have attached screenshots to show examples; sometimes it's trailing, sometimes it's double stars, and sometimes it makes a u-turn to track back to the original position.
      PHD log files from another night are here: https://openphdguiding.org/logs/dl/PHD2_logs_tych.zip
      Is this a balance issue that becomes apparent when the mount is more vertical? I'm relatively new to using this mount, so most of my previous sessions have been closer to the meridian. Or is my worm gear tightened just a bit too much and causing issues? I can't really hear anything wrong when slewing at high speed.
      Only other thing i can think of is, I sometimes get error messages on PHD but pulse command being ineffective, but these happen at other times as well without causing any issues.
      It's losing me 7-8 frames over the span of 2.5 hours, so it would be nice to get it resolved if anyone has any ideas?
      Thanks

• By lkimber
      I know it may be a bit of a long shot but I'm looking to buy a HEQ5 Pro mount or an NEQ6 Pro or something similar. Preferably belt driven but not necessary as can happily modify it. Please let me know if you have anything! Thanks.
    • By Martin AB Cohen
      After trying and failing some time ago to find a video tutorial on how to strip-down my Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro mount, clean all the bearings and gears, re-grease them, and put it all back together again, I eventually learned how to do this from various other online resources and have now created my own video tutorial. For those of you with a Skywatcher HEQ5 or HEQ5 Pro mount, or indeed an Orion Sirius EQ-G mount (which is the same mechanically), this video can help you to keep you mount running smoothly through regular DIY servicing (~every 2 years).  I hope you find it useful.  Here is the link...

• By Bajastro
      Today after the midnight I recorded the spectrum of C/2020 F3 (Neowise). I couldn't change new diffraction grating  (300 l/mm) before the midnight in my Low Spec 2 spectrograph. I have printed second unmodified mounting for grating and I had to use it, because dispersion angles are different than the 1800 l/mm diffraction grating. It was also necessary to assemble and run the setup. Not all lines were identified, the spectrum is different than spectra published on the internet. The violet range is worse due to the poor correction of chromatic aberration in achromatic lenses in my Low Spec and my APO, so lines are weaker. Intensity hasn't been corrected. I think that this comet was too low above the horizon to do it well. This is also the first light with a diffraction grating 300 l/mm used in the Low Spec 2.
      Slit position, PHD2 screen:

Spectrum with stretched histogram, faint LP of my city is present in the background, 5x60s stack:

I hope that I correctly substracted LP from the comet spectrum.
      The result obtained in the BASS software:

We have carbon C2 bands, CN and strong emission of sodium doublet. Some lines are unidentified yet.
    • By SimM
      Sky-Watcher HEQ5 PRO Go-To Astronomy Mount
      With all accessories - as new February 2020
      HEQ5 Mount Head
      1.75" Stainless Steel Tripod
      2x 5kg Counterweights
      SynScan Handset & Cable
      12v Cigarette DC Power Cable
      Vixen-Style Medium Dovetail Bar
      Price £690 - buyer collects Hampshire

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.