Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

Chiz

Alternative to SW 80ED for beginners AP?

I have recently bought an HEQ5 Pro mount and was planning to get a SW Evostar 80ED to sit upon it so that I can learn the basics of astrophotography.  I've read here and elsewhere that this really requires the SW .85x reducer/flattener to get any decent results, and that all seems to make sense to me. Unfortunately there are none of these flatteners to be had in the UK, so I have postponed my purchase.

I do have a SW Explorer 150PL, which has been a lot of fun for the last few years and I plan to rest it on the HEQ5 as soon as those clouds move away, but I don't see it as a great tool for DSO AP (although I will be trying some lunar pictures). 

Is there and alternative to the 80ED that would be suitable for a beginner for DSO AP? I'm lucky that my budget can be reasonably flexible (in as much as I have considered the Equinox 80ED), but I don't want to throw money at something that would be wasted on a beginner.  But my impatience to get started means I'd rather not have to wait a couple of months for SW to send some more flatteners to these shores.

I have a Canon 550D DSLR and a Phillips ToUcam PRO II webcam.

[Hmmm. Impatience - yes, I know that is not a good trait for AP.]

TIA,

Edited by Chiz

Unless there is really good reason to believe that the x.85 reducer/flattener will not be available again (and I really can't believe that that is the case) then I would suggest that you buy the SW ED 80 and start to learn the imaging craft while you wait for the availability of the reducer/flattener. To be honest, there is little that comes close to the ED 80 for quality and consistency, not to mention value for money. Long-term, like ANY refractor (excluding a Petzval design) you will want a field flattener but you'll learn so much during that waiting period!

• Like 2

Hi Chiz

As you're used to a newt you might consider a 130pds with a non-SW coma corrector. It has its foibles and pros and cons but it's a nice focal length (650mm) for DSOs as well as being fast at f5. No colour aberrations and easy to handle - not to mention relatively cheap :). See the 'imaging with the 130pds' thread.

Louise

Edited by Thalestris24
  • Like 1

ES do flat field refractors which are built to last. Not very portable, but would be OK on your mount I think. Excellent focuser too. There's also a UK outlet with not so good a  focuser.  HTH.

I use an Altair Astro Lightwave flattener on my ED80 & never had any issues.

• Like 1

Thank-you everyone for your help and advice.  Evostar 80 ED ordered. Looking forward to some clear skies.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.