Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Number of galaxies in the universe

The Guardian reports on a study suggesting that there are 20 times as many galaxies in the universe as previously thought -- a total of 2 x 10^12. I dug out a preprint of the paper referred to in the Guardian piece. It is a fascinating read. For instance, it states that there are 10 times as many galaxies as would be seen even in the Hubble Ultra Deep Field. The implications section is worth a look, as it comments on what these findings mean for Olbers paradox (why the sky is dark at night).

It is sobering to think that the number of galaxies I plot on what I consider to be quite deep charts is approx 2 x 10^6 i.e. only one-millionth of the estimated total....

Martin 

Here's a good summary of the finding, certainly interesting but not game changing. Unfortunately the headline has spread around the internet without much context and a lot of people are thinking this is equivalent to the universe being ten times larger than previously thought (prediction, this 'factoid' will be incorporated into future anti-science rants).

Other than correcting the original headline I think the Guardian article reflects the thrust of the paper fairly well; direct quotes from the lead researcher are clearly attributed together with source publication.  I generally think topical science reporting from the main broadsheets and the likes of the BBC is fairly reliable; articles like the Guardian story here certainly generate a lot of interest and discussion in the classroom.  Let's be honest, how many of us have the time or more importantly the necessary background understanding to source then critically review academic papers - I certainly don't!  My early aspirations to follow a career in cutting edge research evaporated in my 2nd year at university:hmh:  I had always hoped of having a law of physics named after me :)  Oh well, if we can't be naive when we're young when can we be?

Jim

It's OK Jim :)   Everyone is naive about most things (I know I am). Normally the only things we tend not to be naive about are the things that directly interest us, the rest we normally simply have to rely upon others to let us know about.

Archived