SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Have prices raised?

DaveGarland

OK so I've been off the scene a little while due to family circumstances, but lately now that I'm all set up nicely in my new home I've been getting back into my stargazing. Anyway, I thought I'd mozey on down to the International Astronomy Show today and maybe pick up an 8mm Delos to keep my 10mm company. Now, I remember paying £265 but they seem to be around £330! What's bought about this hike? Is it just a Televue thing or are astro prices in general on the rise? 

Depends how long you've been away - TV did have a sorta price hike earlier this year iirc - but a lot of folks are speculating that the sinking pound is causing fluctuations as a result of brexit - and some companies taking advantage. But who really knows? ......

*shrugs*

The pound has tanked against the dollar and euro, while the yen has been on the rise for some time.

I've been looking at a TS 130 f/3 apo for a while now. The recent fall has been giving me pause.

It's been about a year and a half, I spent last year in a bedsit :( All set up in a new home now though :) So yeah I guess that makes sense about the pound. But wow I was surprised at the rise though. I went with £300 thinking that would be plenty, and came home with £300 and my tail between my legs. 

22 minutes ago, DaveGarland said:

OK so I've been off the scene a little while due to family circumstances, but lately now that I'm all set up nicely in my new home I've been getting back into my stargazing. Anyway, I thought I'd mozey on down to the International Astronomy Show today and maybe pick up an 8mm Delos to keep my 10mm company. Now, I remember paying £265 but they seem to be around £330! What's bought about this hike? Is it just a Televue thing or are astro prices in general on the rise? 

Better not start me off on this subject. As the prices IMO are going astronomical☺. Good job you did not look at a Ethos ?. You would either of had a heart attack or realise you needed a mortgage? 

Didn't think that in a year and a half TV's had gone up by what you say would be close to 27%.

May depend where you are looking, I have noticed a fair difference between different retailers. Prices seem to always rise, weak pound or strong pound. Wonder how many give up before they even get going in astronomy owing to cost. I have noticed that in posts where people ask about a first scope what they seem to expect as a cost is generally well below the available items.

19 minutes ago, RichM63 said:

Congratulations on your new home David it must be a huge relief. :)

Thank you Rich ?Yes it really is. Not just to have a garden for my stargazing but also just to be able to have my boys staying over. I even managed to keep my cat :)

I picked up a 5mm Delos at Kelling star party a couple of weeks back for £296, I think last year I paid £265 for the 10mm.   TV prices at least have gone up a bit talking to Elena from the Widescreen Centre.

1 hour ago, brantuk said:

Depends how long you've been away - TV did have a sorta price hike earlier this year iirc - but a lot of folks are speculating that the sinking pound is causing fluctuations as a result of brexit - and some companies taking advantage. But who really knows? ......

Not gonna give away any politic opinions. It was hard last year when my wife had to spend 2 month in London. Swiss money is already quite strong but you guys money, added to London prices, made her trip a bit pricey. Anyway, I couldn't find what I needed to buy anywhere else than on FLO and bought quite a few stuff last week and well, I had completely forgotten about the brexit when I confirmed the transaction and realized, if you're abroad, now is the time to order some stuff in UK.

39 minutes ago, RichM63 said:

Or put another way, I am aware of quite a few folk buying gear from the UK at the moment. ;)

But it sucks for pensioners on fixed sterling incomes.

Congratulations on your new home David it must be a huge relief. :)

Yes, vultures are lurking in the dark, but they also hope that you guys won't suffer too much from recent decisions. 

Tele Vue stuff was discounted by 15% or so earlier this year (if I recall right) but, that discount seemed to be applied AFTER a price rise had been applied so the discount masked the price rise for a while. Intentional ? - who knows ?.

When the discount was ended the prices reverted to points a lot higher than the previously listed "normal" ones as you are finding out. The 21mm Ethos is now an £800+ eyepiece :shocked:

Other brands have experienced or are about to experience increases as well as this post from FLO explains:

Archived