The Age of the Universe

I recently decided to calculate the age of the universe, using the rate of expansion. I figured it is probably impossible for the universe to expand faster than light, so I divided the new speed per  megaparsec into the speed of light, then multiplied it by 3.262x10^6, which converted it into light years. The answer I got was roughly 13.82 billion, which is the age of the universe in years. So does that mean space cannot expand faster than light? Also, does this mean that the universe's expansion is slowing down because it is constantly getting bigger and therefore that velocity increase needs to slow down in order to not go over the speed of light? And finally, is there any way I can use this number in order to find when the universe will stop expanding, if it ever finally stops at all?

Thanks, 

Corkeyno2

I don't have the answers but just an observation - while the result is accurate it assumes constant velocity.  Is this the case?  The expansion period would suggest otherwise.  Whats happens when expansion hits a point when the mass of the universe is too sparse to restrict it?  Is there a point?

Also if getting bigger it could still expand at a constant speed it would not need to slow down to avoid a speed increase, that sounds counter-intuitive and not understanding the logic applied.  If traveling at x the this can remain a constant regardless of size - as it grows it does so in more area.  

How can we know when/if it will stop expanding.  We live in an observable bubble c.43b ly i think.  This is the 13.8billion years at light speed + the expansion of space over the same period.  Nothing we can comprehend can be known of the 'other side' of that barrier, no data light or information can now reach us based on known laws of physics.

Also there are so many theories about topics beyond our comprehension - are we part of a multiverse or just a holographic life form.  Read a great article that we may not even be real.  The scary point is that it is statistically more likely we are not than we are.  We are developing 'simulations' now. What happens when they get so advanced they can simulate whole worlds, galaxies or universes.  It only a matter of time before humans can do maybe 1000 years maybe 10000 years but they will do.  Point is once they have the technology there will be one human race and possibly millions of these simulations running of which we could all just be part of one.

However if thats not true as well as multiverse you have to consider other factors such as beyond the universe and branes all of which could have some impact - likewise there may be nothing.  No idea what that is and how to factor in.

It gets more complex when you consider our limitations - we have five senses developed for specific purposes and some intelligence.  We have no affinity or sense for quantum mechanics and rely on reactions of what we can 'sense' behaving differently to assume/prove something else is there.  There could be and most likely 'stuff' all around us, possibly parallel dimensions that occupy the same time space us us but we just can detect in any way.

Summary - if you get the answer i suspect $1000000 will be on the way from Nobel :) but too many factors to know if its really true even if it is widely accepted as the best estimate.

Paddy

The universe can expand at greater then the speed of light, as that is space-time itself that is expanding.

What is "impossib;e" is for anything "in" the universe to travel faster then light through space time.

Bit like you being limited to walking at 4mph, absolutely and never no more for any reason.

Go to Heathrow and get on one of the rubber walkways and you are travelling at 4mph but what you are on (in) is carrying you along at say 6 mph. So your are travelling at the absolute maximum of 4mph but the environment (walkway/spacetime) is making you move away at 10mph.

This why there is a visilbe limit to what we can observe. The bits of the universe beyond the hubble radius relavive to us is travelling away from us at greater then c.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2016 at 09:35, PhotoGav said:

So, it's not really expanding, just moving about within its own entirety?

Ouch.

Sorry to return to the subject so late but I think as the universe is in a way everything, that everything is what is expanding. So the universe is like some kind of 4 dimensional bubble that you can only travel along the surface of.

Archived