Eyepiece - Storage in the Field

DeepSkyMan

Hey there, I'm looking for ideas for the storage of eyepieces in the field.  Up until now, I've simply taken my normal storage case out onto the field, and kept it closed on my observing table occassionally opening when changing eyepieces.  However this results in the case becoming frost coated, which I would prefer to avoid.  It occurred to me that the best solution would be to have eyepieces and regular use items kept on the body, there is a dual benefit to this in that the contents would perhaps pick up heat from the body and hold them above the dew point and of course everything is close at hand from an observing perspective.  I started looking at possible ways to achieve this.  A Google search revealed a couple of possible solutions.  Geoptik do a waist pack, however there is no interior padding in the pouches which doesn't appeal for obvious reasons.  The best product I have found thus far is this waist pack by Orion a review for which can be found here:

http://www.cloudynights.com/page/articles/cat/from-the-editors-desk/from-the-editors-desk-eyepiece-case-roundup-r1056

Unfortunately it will not accommodate my workhorse eyepieces, my Nagler 17 and 22mm Type 4s.

Has anybody come across similar products or perhaps a DIY approach?  I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Kind Regards

Paul J.

There are cases available which are airtight and waterproof; they laugh at frost. Alternatively, an oversized bodywarmer with big pockets may serve; one could make custom inserts for the pockets if desired. I suppose there must be outerwear available specifically for outdoorsmen seeking to keep stuff dry yet accessible (ammunition?).

For what it's worth  :happy11:

I have a standard shoulder bag branded Starguider, but you can buy the same bag branded TeleVue, take your pick, same bag, different price!

I use the bag alone, take out the eyepieces in use, and try to stack them on the Skyliner EP shelf ? which was not designed for wide-bodied EP's. 

I understand folk using dryers or pockets to keep their occulars warm, yet we go to great lengths to cool the telescope, therefore, my EPs will cool to ambient, and if conditions are too severe, I'll pack up and go, there's always another night. 

I use Maplins pluck-foam lined cases for mine. I take these outside with me and they seem to do OK. I do re-cap the eyepieces when not in use, pop them back into the case and close the lid inbetween use. I reckon the foam keeps the temperature of the eyepiece just a touch above ambient, which reduces dewing, as does re-capping the eyepieces. This approach seems to have worked for me over the last 10 years or so. I have some quite large eyepieces, see below:

eps01101601.JPG

eps01101602.JPG

1 hour ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

I totally agree with John. I also use a Maplins Flight Case and take this into my garden whether frosty or not. I also take this Flight Case on Outreach Events and put it onto a table by the side of my scope.

A little table to keep stuff off the grass is a good idea for field use. I use an old plastic caravan step for this. It's also useful for outreach if someone short wants to look through the scope !

Hello For both my 16" and 10" dobs, I built what is essentially a shelf that sits onto the side of the base which has either 1.25" or 2" holes cut to take the various size eyepieces. Works really well. They then have a flap of camping mat or whatever takes your fancy to keep the dew off. I'll try to get photos, but really happy with it

Employ all of the above suggestions really, in addition, I have a couple of bolt cases, particularly useful for chunky e.p's such as 31 nagler. Otherwise as above, set up on a camping table, when not in use put caps back on and re-insert eyepiece and / or filters back into foam molding in a flight case with lid loosely closed. I wear a down filled RAB smock, which has a deep through pocket, ideal as a hand warmer (in between wearing gloves) and useful for temporarily storing e.p's (with caps on and filters (in their case). A 12V hair dryer is useful as a last resort. My one issue with my camping table, which is otherwise ideal, is that it to can become frosted over and things can easily start to skid around. Bart's EP holder contraption looks interesting to. This thread has acted as a good reminder to put the ice window scraper back in the car.

5 hours ago, Bart said:

Picture of EP holder contraption. Might give you an idea

image.jpeg

Have you actually used that arrangement on a cold, frosty night?  I would think the eyepieces would get really cold and frost over - and if you accidentally breathed on the eye lens instant mist! Got to keep them warm if you can :)

ChrisH

Hi Chris

the picture mightn't show it well, but there's  a flap of material that drapes over the eps from the top when not in use. Yes I've used it in absolutely freezing conditions all night and no problems with dew?

I find cold eyepieces can mist over as your face / eye gets near them, especially those with short eye relief.

Keeping them a couple of degrees above the outside temperature seems to avoid this but it's not always easy to achive.

Hi there everyone, thanks for your input.  I think I'm more and more coming around to the idea of having my observing eyepieces located on the body be it in some sort of DIY waist pack or perhaps as suggested by iPeace something along the lines of an ammunition belt.  I have an army and navy store nearby which I visit occasionally for fishing clothing, they sometimes have webbing belts with large canvas pouches which can be hooked onto the webbing belts, in any case it's got the old grey matter and cogs 'a whirring'.  All this thinking about eyepieces got me thinking that my single Maplin flight case was getting a bit too full for my liking.  So on the way home popped into Maplins and invested in another, just the job... Only problem now is... They look so lonely...  I can see a proliferation of green and black in my not so distant future :-)

image.jpg

My eyepieces are in their boxes and the boxes are simply in one of the trravel bag trolly things - small one. That also allows for other bits to go in. The trolly sits open on the ground and so easy to access and find bits, and somewhere to put things (gloves, spare wooly hat, red torch, jaffa cakes).

21 hours ago, John said:

I don't think I've ever come across a bolt case capable of taking a Nagler 31mm - must be a real fat one ! :icon_biggrin:

Yes there is such a bolt case John, even a fat one capable of housing a 31mm Nagler (see pic).

Another suggestion would be for a compact camera accessories shoulder bag, such as the one below. I have several in differing sizes and used for particular accessories required for each scope, this particular one, Lowepro Nova 2 AW (as with the others S/H off ebay), is handy as a compact facility for using with my small refractor. It can easily and securely store eyepieces in separate compartments, whether in a bolt case or not. Whilst I do not use it as a shoulder bag, when in the field, it could be used this way and so permit immediate and convenient access to eyepieces and filters and thus help to mitigate dew and frost build up.  

It could also potentially be used as a belt bag.

P1060832.JPG

I much prefer to have everything on me out in the field - partly to keep eyepieces from dewing up but mostly because searching around in the dark, and putting things down etc is a recipie for problems.

Keeping plossl eyepieces in my pockets works for the refractor but when it comes to bigger glass for the reflector plus collimating equipment etc my pockets are not big enough and anyway my trousers won't hold the weight up!

I've been looking at fishing vests and tactical vests on ebay, ammunition belts and builders trousers with lots of big pockets. Vests would take the bulk and weight for quite a lot of stuff but the weight of a bunch of big eyepieces is I think too much to carry in a vest for the duration of an observing session for me.

I'm therefore going down the padded case route for when I'm taking out all the big stuff and some kind of vest/big pockets thing for going out with my small stuff or for when only one or two hand grenades are required.:icon_biggrin:

My eyepieces are inside a small box 10"x8 inches with a separate cover which is easy to remove and to put back on, easy and fast to manipulate. I usually put the box on the lid of my car's trunk, like a high table, really convenient. I make sure the lid of the box is always on, that's the most important point, to slow the cooling process and to block humidity from falling on the parts. After a moment, I heat the box inside the car a few minutes  to give back some energy to the pieces.

--> I prefer to handle a little bit of heat current (which does not lasts long) then negotiating with dew.

9xwkwpT.jpg?1

Archived