SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hi from SE Cornwall

ChrisCM

Hi All,

Now that I have retired I am returning to the hobby. For the last 10 years or so of my working life I worked shifts away from home so was unable to do as much observing as I wished and the bigger (better?) scopes went into storage, things weren't helped when a storm blew the top off my home made observatory, luckily not damaging my Celestron 9.25 which was mounted on its pier at the time.

Now I have dusted off my kit and am starting to sort through it all. Until I can resurrect the observatory I shall be using my OMC 140. I have a vixen GPDX mount and SkySensor 2000 with an Orion Optics (UK!) field tripod? All these items still seem to work with my only problem being interfacing the SkySensor to my MacBook as the Mac seems to have an aversion to USB to Serial converters so I'm thinking of a Skyfi unit to tale care of the connection.

My other bit of "old" kit I would like to reserect is my starlight express camera but unfortunately it uses a parallel interface so that will be challenge!

clear skies 

Chris

Welcome back to the hobby and welcome to SGL.

There may be a simple answer to your computer woes.  Once you have the observatory back up and running, why not buy a refurbished Windows PC desktop from EBay?  You can often pick up a small form factor Dell Optiflex PC running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit for less than £40 delivered.  These often have both Serial and Parallel ports, as well as 6 x USB 2.0 ports.

http://recycledcomputing.co.uk/desktops.php

I hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived