SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Modded 600d 1st light

iapa

18 hours ago, wimvb said:

That's a nice portrait of a horse. Orion is still low in the sky, but your image shows what is to come. I look forward to a stacked image.

So do I, however events over took me

see new topic "oh dear - ooopsie" ?

I have 200PDS and your picture has inspired me to go for the Horse's Head.  < clouds...Moon...management...permitting>

Interesting to note the satellite track...( I'm guessing).....the bobbles must be micro-vibrations of the tube.  So even if you did focus it perfectly then the stars would still be slightly over-sized due to this slight motion.

Please post more ....I have a HEQ5 mount and was a tad worried that the 200PDS would be a bit too much of a beast on its shoulders.   Do you find the CGEM-DX handles it well ??

20 hours ago, wimvb said:

That's a nice portrait of a horse. Orion is still low in the sky, but your image shows what is to come. I look forward to a stacked image.

So do I, however events over took me

see new topic "oh dear - ooopsie" ?

4 hours ago, Craney said:

I have 200PDS and your picture has inspired me to go for the Horse's Head.  < clouds...Moon...management...permitting>

Interesting to note the satellite track...( I'm guessing).....the bobbles must be micro-vibrations of the tube.  So even if you did focus it perfectly then the stars would still be slightly over-sized due to this slight motion.

Please post more ....I have a HEQ5 mount and was a tad worried that the 200PDS would be a bit too much of a beast on its shoulders.   Do you find the CGEM-DX handles it well ??

Set up was:

200pDS, startraveller piggy backed, canon 600D modded, 2 x skywatcher focus motors each with hitechastro focus controllers, 4 port USB hub, Starsense, 80mm finder scope.

All comes in about 60% of quoted (imaging) load. if course all cables too:)

did a run on M27 from 00:00 to 03:00 and it was still near centre of image running unguided

Wow, that sounds a load and a half.   I thought the CGEM was similar to the HEQ5 in terms of payload.?...I am presently wary of anything over the 12 kilo mark. I was tempted by somebody selling a 10"LX200....but it would bow the legs in terms of imaging.

I did M-27 a few weeks ago.  I 'll post a pic when I get home.  Be interested to see how our results compare. I just polar align and set the Canon D60 (unmodded) on 30 secs.

At the moment I am compiling 'first attempts' at every NGC number going, just because I have occasionally squinted down inferior scopes for 25 years and never really seen the objects in there full glory.

If my numbers are right - I weighed everything bar the OTA ? - created a spreadsheet so I can select the kit I plan to use and see the total weight.... also shows fov, "/pixel, and such like.

CGEM-DX payload is 55lb, up from the CGEM (dunno what that's limit is, I came from an AVX with a load in the 20-25lb area) the gear going on is about 30lb.

On 12/10/2016 at 22:39, wimvb said:

ok, just back and access to a desktop machine to stack.

1st daft - my processing skills need honed (understatement)

Nebulosity 4, 11 jpeg rather than raw images, normalised, aligned - translation, rotation, scale, stacked - default. Saved as JPG 100%

Constructive criticisms welcomed required - I can barely capture the images, let alone process yet.

Untitled.jpg

That's still a nice result. There is a lot of information in the image. Processing will help you reveal it.

First thing to do is remove the background / light pollution. Nebulosity should have a tool for that.

I downloaded your image and cleaned up the background with PixInsight. Then removed horizontal lines and stretched with curvestretch. It shows what information is in the image.

Stacking and processing jpegs is not likely to produce good results. My advice: set your camera on raw and leave it there. Even if you use the camera for daytime photography. You probably have some software with the camera to convert raw to jpeg. Otherwise, RawTherapee is a good investment (it's free).

horsie.jpg

6 minutes ago, wimvb said:

That's still a nice result. There is a lot of information in the image. Processing will help you reveal it.

First thing to do is remove the background / light pollution. Nebulosity should have a tool for that.

I downloaded your image and cleaned up the background with PixInsight. Then removed horizontal lines and stretched with curvestretch. It shows what information is in the image.

Stacking and processing jpegs is not likely to produce good results. My advice: set your camera on raw and leave it there. Even if you use the camera for daytime photography. You probably have some software with the camera to convert raw to jpeg. Otherwise, RawTherapee is a good investment (it's free).

horsie.jpg

thanks for running that through for me.

I do have RAWs  as well - just running them through the mill just now.

I don't run any background or colour levelling in Nebulosity as I wasn't to sure if I'd end up removing the gains for using the DSLR with filter removed or not.

Don't have PI - but would  you give me an indication what you did to clean the back ground please? I didn't even see any horizontals :(

PixInsight has a process called DynamicBackgroundExtraction, or DBE, which samples the background in an image and then creates a model of this background. This model is subtracted from the image and removes gradients and light pollution.

After that any artefacts, such as patterns from the camera sensor become visible. These are removed by "CanonBandingReduction"

This is your image after DBE. Note the horizontal stripes that are visible in the dark background. If these are not removed, they will become really annoying after stretching the image. Your image seems noisier than before, but that is because signal was removed (the light pollution).

horse_dbe.jpg

This is your image after CBR

horse_dbe_cbr.jpg

And after some stretching

horse_dbe_cbr_ct.jpg

On 15/10/2016 at 22:00, wimvb said:

PixInsight has a process called DynamicBackgroundExtraction, or DBE, which samples the background in an image and then creates a model of this background. This model is subtracted from the image and removes gradients and light pollution.

After that any artefacts, such as patterns from the camera sensor become visible. These are removed by "CanonBandingReduction"

This is your image after DBE. Note the horizontal stripes that are visible in the dark background. If these are not removed, they will become really annoying after stretching the image. Your image seems noisier than before, but that is because signal was removed (the light pollution).

This is your image after CBR

And after some stretching

horse_dbe_cbr_ct.jpg

@wimvbThat looks like you have dragged the black up into the actual data?

I've had another shot at it with some of the RAWs

This better for detail? Still not getting the 'brightness' you got tho'

Barnard 33 - v2.jpg

If I apply the STF to an image, just for viewing purpose, this will clip some of the dark. When I do a proper stretch on the image, I very much try not to clip any pixels. The HistogramTransformation in PI shows how many pixels will be clipped. I try to leave this at 0. Sometimes when an image contains black pixels to start with, of course these may get clipped.

In the above image, I don't think I clipped pixels. But I brought the black point close to clipping. Bringing in the black point more, would have revealed patches of solid black.

In a proper process, I would also have applied TGV denoise to Lightness (L) and MultiscaleMedianTransform noise reduction to Chrominance, before stretching. This kills much of the noise in the dark regrions.

All this is overkill for a downloaded jpeg image, you need a 16 bit image for proper processing.

Hope this helps

Thanks for that

When I was post processing my pst posted image - some of the RAWs stacked in DSS -  in Nebulosity the only way I got the same 'brightness' was by brining the black level well into the data - different tools I suppose.

i will get something decent one day :) - longevity is the death of all of us :) Too much to do, not enough time.

Archived