Narrowband

DIY tube rings

John78

On 24/06/2018 at 07:17, Rusted said:

Very tasty! What's the weight limit of these printed rings? Or does it depend on the printing material?

Skywatcher and others had better increase its range of tube rings if they are not to lose out to home printing!

I can never find rings for my odd sized, DIY tubes. So I end up with hugely oversized rings with plywood inserts.

I tried various camping mattress, foam packing but the OTA just slides through as it nears the vertical.

Somebody should be offering rings printed to order but not at the usual ridiculous prices of "CNC'd" designer jewellery!

Orion UK's "made to measure" rolled rings only look safe carrying a finder! I wouldn't trust them with a whole 40lb OTA!

Have you tried passing the ring through a bike inner tube to provide the grip. It solved a similar problem I had. Needs some silicone to get the tube over the ring though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skybadger said:

Have you tried passing the ring through a bike inner tube to provide the grip. It solved a similar problem I had. Needs some silicone to get the tube over the ring though. 

Ahhh, bicycle inner tube. Shim material of the gods!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...