Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Things to bring..

NickK

Thanks Phil. I have a survival blanket on the list of stuff coming, so I'll add a real blanket and a pillow to it. I don't have a hot water bottle so I'll have to buy one. Got a fold up chair, but I think I'll have to add a small table of some kind.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So for me

Tent + canopy + carpet

Air bed (has pump inside) + radiator foil + 2x 

16A 4x13A RCD + Electric oil radiator (her)

Gas stove, tin open, black bags, table to keep things off the ground (wildlife)..

Just so do words from an old timer,

Cold, prepare , even in the day it can be little fun if you're not wrapped up warm, especially the neck .

Food and drink,outdoors sharpens the appetite, plenty of munchies are always welcome. 

Noise, plenty, there's no sound insulation. You're going to enjoy a full dawn crow chorus and any night noises. Ear plugs are a great idea. Cut them in half if they're too big. You need seven hours sleep in 24 , whenever . Easier to sleep when it's quiet.

Acclimatisation, practice sleeping in a sleeping bag. I like mind unzipped and over and around like a duvet. Those tapered mummy bags can be the devil to kip in. Bring your own pillow(s) from home and get into pyjamas. It'll fool you into thinking you're at home and in the normal regime.

Keep it clean, baby wipes are very useful for all sorts of handy camp cleaning. 

That's it, enjoy.

old Nick.

I am something of a seasoned camper although a little out of practice but not having done an sgl before, there are some very good points in this thread. 

I have bought a single camp bed that stands 18" off the ground and will put a folded blanket on this to keep cold out but will also be taking a fan heater. Used the FH recently in essex when it was down to near zero one night and it worked a treat, also runs very quiet. 

If you have a powered cool box these are also very handy to take. Keeps food nice and fresh (and beers cold :icon_biggrin: ) Mine is 50L job.

Just been to Argos (Yes, I know, sorry) and bought a 0.75 / 1.5 kW ceramic fan heater for in-tent use. Hopefully the 0.75kW setting won't blow the camp's breakers.

Oh yes, and I have an 8" square Sticky Date Cake (Delia Smith recipe, I like it) in the oven now. Hopefully it'll come out OK and I'll be able to bring it with me.

Just been to ASDA and they're doing packs of 10 AAA for £3.50, half price according to them, don't know if it's true but I needed some for my red head light as it doesn't like rechargeable ones for some reason, the red LED starts flashing after a short time.

Dave

1 minute ago, michaelmorris said:

Spares - Batteries, fuses, cables, USB hubs, caps, clamps etc. etc.

Tools - screw drivers, spanners, pliers etc.

Misc essentials - gaffer tape, insulating tape, cable ties, Talisker 12 yr old. 

Spare pair of glasses this year Mike???? :)

I think Two sleeping bags for warmth (one inside the other) thermal underwear for the older or more fragile (like me) ... and you can wear one in a chair while you sit up.  A nice fleecy onsey under your outer layers is good too. 

You really need a good food flask with hot stew or soup in it too as well as one with tea/coffee.

A DO NOT DISTURB sign helps when you need some sleep.

6 hours ago, DaveS said:

Just been to Argos (Yes, I know, sorry) and bought a 0.75 / 1.5 kW ceramic fan heater for in-tent use. Hopefully the 0.75kW setting won't blow the camp's breakers.

Oh yes, and I have an 8" square Sticky Date Cake (Delia Smith recipe, I like it) in the oven now. Hopefully it'll come out OK and I'll be able to bring it with me.

Bit of a disaster, two corners burnt. I should have turned it half way and maybe I had the oven a touch too hot.

Options:

1) don't bring anything.

2) Cut the burnt corners off and bring a misshapen cake.

3) Bake a fresh one.

I'll sleep on it, but it'll mean putting off doing my Christmas cake until I come back if I do another one.

1 hour ago, michaelmorris said:

After "treading on your own glasses in the middle of a muddy field in the pitch black" incident two years ago, our motorhome has a spare pair permanently packed!

I remember it well Mike. :)  I had to stop imaging so you could find them and get them repaired.

Justyn

14 hours ago, DaveS said:

Bit of a disaster, two corners burnt. I should have turned it half way and maybe I had the oven a touch too hot.

Options:

1) don't bring anything.

3) Bake a fresh one.

I'll sleep on it, but it'll mean putting off doing my Christmas cake until I come back if I do another one.

option 4)  bake a fresh one, and bring the one with the burnt corners too.

16 hours ago, DaveS said:

Options:

1) don't bring anything.

3) Bake a fresh one.

I had a look this morning and the burning was only surface, so a 1/8" trim took it off.

May still do a second, but will have to get more stuff.

1 hour ago, Sirius Starwatcher said:

I think there's a lot of overkill with the warm clothing .heaters,, double sleeping bags etc. Its only Autumn, the winter does not arrive until December. I am aware of course that some people will be travelling from the south to get to Hereford !

I expect some folks will be taking a morning dip in the Wye :grin:

Dave

Archived