SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Things to bring..

NickK

I think we should have a things to bring thread (actually it seems there's one every year).. as a help to experienced and first time SGLers :D

Bed to get you off the floor of the tent.. although probably not -10degC in october!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mugs

Cake - for the tea tent :wink:

A chair

More layers than you think you'll need incl hat, gloves and neck ruff

A hot water bottle

A DIM red light torch, spare batteries

20p coins for the hairdryers (for those with hair!)

14 minutes ago, Helen said:

Cake - for the tea tent :wink:

Ooooo Cake!, I am planning to bake something, if anyone has an idea of what they would really fancy, let me know. I will pick 1 or 2......

Also, if camping and have an electric pitch don't forget to bring an adapter so you can actually use the electrics.

electric blanket, heater (yeah I feel the cold), roll of gaffer tape (serves a multitude of uses), not so much a what to bring but a what to get out of the car...EVERYTHING. anyone who thinks it's ok to open the car and set off all the lights because they forgot to get their ep's out is sadly mistaken. you will make no friends and probably more than one adversary.

I think you have ALL overlooked the one thing no self respecting astronomer should ever leave the house without.  The one thing that would make the whole evening a complete and utter disaster........

JAFFA CAKES.

Yes electric blanket and fan heater to make sure Mrs nightfisher is warm

Telescopes, mounts and ep`s

food

money (where do i get that from)

plenty warm clothing

some booze

Phantom 3 quadcopter

Tent

Airbed

18 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

Yes electric blanket and fan heater to make sure Mrs nightfisher is warm

Telescopes, mounts and ep`s

food

money (where do i get that from)

plenty warm clothing

some booze

Phantom 3 quadcopter

Tent

Airbed

Why not? :)

Stuff to...

... eat and drink

... sleep in

... wear

... keep you warm

... keep yourself clean

... something to look through at night

... keep yourself entertained when it's cloudy

... spending money for those things that you find you needed.

quite simple really.

At my first SGL (5?) one of my neighbours was all so a newbie. He had come all the way down from Edinburgh mainly to get advice on how to use his new EQ5 and Altair 115mmm APO refractor which he had bought himself as a retirement present.

In his haste to get to Lucksall,  he forgot to pack his counter weights and the hand controller!!!!!!!! Luckily there were enough people with spares  that he managed to get going in the end.

Well, as a total novice I've just had to get the whole "kit-and-Caboodle". Hope I haven't left something important yet non-obvious out of the list.

Oh, yes, I'd better bring something glass-ish :eek:

For those without a goto system, what about something to put your star atlas on. Using the car front can be bothersome. I use a music note stand. And some kind of observing chair. What about a foam mat to kneel down on if you need to look through your red dot finder. Can be handy on snow, mud or wet grass.

For the camping part: toilet paper. Don't count on the camp site having enough. Matches (easy to forget for non-smokers).

If is is cold outside, a second sleeping mat or anything else that gives a good extra layer of insulation under you.

OK, what I'm bringing (In addition to the 'scope stuff):

Tent (Blow-up), Footprint, Carpet.

Air-bed, Sleeping bag (Square, 3-season), + additional old sleeping bag to pad my 'scope and give a bit more warmth.

Single-burner stove, spare gas, Ceramic tile to put it on, kettle and a couple of pans, cold bag for frozen milk (First day only I hope, as there's a shop / cafe?).

Red-screened lantern and single LED head-torch.

16A to 3x13A adaptor

Assorted non-perishable foods.

Now, what have I forgotten, and what can I leave behind?

1 hour ago, DaveS said:

OK, what I'm bringing (In addition to the 'scope stuff):

Tent (Blow-up), Footprint, Carpet.

Air-bed, Sleeping bag (Square, 3-season), + additional old sleeping bag to pad my 'scope and give a bit more warmth.

Single-burner stove, spare gas, Ceramic tile to put it on, kettle and a couple of pans, cold bag for frozen milk (First day only I hope, as there's a shop / cafe?).

Red-screened lantern and single LED head-torch.

16A to 3x13A adaptor

Assorted non-perishable foods.

Now, what have I forgotten, and what can I leave behind?

Nice little list of esentials. Would you want to add a pillow to that? I usually pack one in a compression sack to save space. I've tried the self inflating camping pillows but they are a bit small, however they can be bolstered up by using with a folded up jacket. Don't forget some crockery and a tea cup, and a little splash of washing up liquid with a dish sponge. Direct onto air beds can be cold so a blanket on top of air bed will be a great help, or that spare sleeping bag. I don't like air beds so I use the thin self inflating mattress  which seems to perform well in the cold. I found that a silver survival sheet on top of the mattress helps if things get really cold. Also a hot water bottle in the bottom of the bag helps thaw out tired feet when it's time to go sleep. Oh, and a fold up chair.

Archived