Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

Anthonyexmouth

international astronomy show

hi, anyone ever been to this show? just wondering if it the kind of place where there might be a bargain to be had on the trade stands. 

Seems easiest: http://www.ukastroshow.com/

Basically up by Coventry :eek:, Guess a 5 hour drive from Exmouth if the drive went well.

I am a good 4 hours from Exmouth and Stonleigh is a good hours drive from me. Picking a reasonable route is likely to be the decider. M5, M42, M40, A46 ?? Or A303, M3, M25, M40, A46. Not really a clear winner.

Usually some bargins around but in the Astro world there are not many, sometimes 10% but that tends to be on big stuff. Sometimes off items they want to hopefully clear out. Biggest attraction is having a lot of things in one place where you can wander round and look.

21 hours ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

its a bit of a drive for me down here in devon, could be a nice day out though 

There is always the South West Astro Fair at Sidmouth:

http://www.southwestastrofair.com/

The International one looks larger in terms of dealers present but Astrofest in London is the really big affair.

I'm still wondering whether to head up to Stoneleigh at the end of the week. Astro budget is a bit depleted at the moment though :rolleyes2:

I might pop along on Thursday afternoon to have a look at all the things that I can't afford....

Paul

im only considering it because im about to buy a new mount and scope. weighing up the fuel cost vs the chance of a bargain. when is the london event? gutted i just missed the sidmouth one. its a 15/20 min drive for me to get there

2 hours ago, Paul73 said:

I might pop along on Thursday afternoon to have a look at all the things that I can't afford....

Paul

Is it open on Thursday? Looks like Friday and Saturday on the website. 

I always enjoy the IAS. It's good to see some kit and take in a couple of talks. I don't often buy much when I'm there but it definitely informs the purchasing decisions I make over the next year. 

Do we know if First Light Optics is going to be there?  They're not usually I think, which is a pity. 

40 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

im only considering it because im about to buy a new mount and scope. weighing up the fuel cost vs the chance of a bargain. when is the london event? gutted i just missed the sidmouth one. its a 15/20 min drive for me to get there

Astrofest is in February:

http://europeanastrofest.com/

There will be another SWAS at Sidmouth next Summer but thats a long time to wait if you are itching to buy something.

12 hours ago, Paul73 said:

Paul

Paul don't go on Thursday its not open until the following day.

3 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Paul don't go on Thursday its not open until the following day.

Safe way to not spend any money though! 

• Like 2

I am going on Friday. I enjoy this show because it has good speakers plus lots to stands to view Scopes and equipment. There is much more room that Astrofest for the vendors. In saying that I go to Astrofest every year and I have already booked a hotel for 2017.

Stoneleigh also has the advantage of free car parking and is approx in the centre of the country (well roughly). I appreciate a 5 hour drive may be a bit much unless you want a good day out.

1 hour ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

I am going on Friday. I enjoy this show because it has good speakers plus lots to stands to view Scopes and equipment. There is much more room that Astrofest for the vendors. In saying that I go to Astrofest every year and I have already booked a hotel for 2017.

Stoneleigh also has the advantage of free car parking and is approx in the centre of the country (well roughly). I appreciate a 5 hour drive may be a bit much unless you want a good day out.

Hi Mark,

I'm thinking of going on Friday as well - it would be great to meet you there :icon_biggrin:

1 hour ago, John said:

Hi Mark,

I'm thinking of going on Friday as well - it would be great to meet you there :icon_biggrin:

John

I want to see Nigel Henbest at 10am because I enjoy the early history of Astronomy. I also want to see Dr Kate Russo (1.30pm) who is talking about the 2017 Total Eclipse. I am still hoping to visit Paul and then to drive up to Oregon.

Do you still have my mobile number?

Otherwise why not meet up in the Restaurant about 12.15pm.

• Like 1

I also want to see Dr Kate Russo (1.30pm) who is talking about the 2017 Total Eclipse.

Kate and I gave talks at COSMOS 2015 in Eire and not only was her talk enjoyable and well researched but Kate herself is great company - you are in for a treat! Don't make the same mistake I did and discuss eclipses during a coffee break not realising that you were talking to an expert on the subject :icon_redface:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steppenwolf said:

Kate and I gave talks at COSMOS 2015 in Eire and not only was her talk enjoyable and well researched but Kate herself is great company - you are in for a treat! Don't make the same mistake I did and discuss eclipses during a coffee break not realising that you were talking to an expert on the subject :icon_redface:

Thanks Steve that sounds very good. I was hoping to get some information on the best locations in Oregon although I don't fancy the long drive from San Francisco.

3 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

John

I want to see Nigel Henbest at 10am because I enjoy the early history of Astronomy. I also want to see Dr Kate Russo (1.30pm) who is talking about the 2017 Total Eclipse. I am still hoping to visit Paul and then to drive up to Oregon.

Do you still have my mobile number?

Otherwise why not meet up in the Restaurant about 12.15pm.

I've sent a PM Mark.

I had planned to go the weekend but after watching this I decided not to bother ........

Apart from it looking like a ghost town it was mentioned that there wasn't a great deal of stock on display compared to other years which if your looking with a certain bargain in mind leaves you a bit limited. Looked OK if your in the market for a new scope and wanted to get hands on or even bag a display model scope but I'm betting you wouldn't be able to walk out with it on the Friday though ??? I have to say I really do like the look of those new bresser dobs. I think someone has really done their home work this time and it is a vast improvement over the skywatcher dobs especially in the case of the flexi dob.

On 10/10/2016 at 22:09, Anthonyexmouth said:

Surely your best bet would be to pop up to Exeter to FLO ... :icon_biggrin:

I popped in the other day and that's where I am pretty sure I will be going.  Dropping a lot of money so was just on the look out for an ex demo bargain but I think the travel time and fuel is a no go really.

Does anyone know how much it costs to get in and what time the doors open on Friday? Looked at the website via my tablet but couldn't find any links on the homepage! Thanks