Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

international astronomy show

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems easiest: http://www.ukastroshow.com/

Basically up by Coventry :eek:, Guess a 5 hour drive from Exmouth if the drive went well.

I am a good 4 hours from Exmouth and Stonleigh is a good hours drive from me. Picking a reasonable route is likely to be the decider. M5, M42, M40, A46 ?? Or A303, M3, M25, M40, A46. Not really a clear winner.

Usually some bargins around but in the Astro world there are not many, sometimes 10% but that tends to be on big stuff. Sometimes off items they want to hopefully clear out. Biggest attraction is having a lot of things in one place where you can wander round and look.

21 hours ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

its a bit of a drive for me down here in devon, could be a nice day out though 

There is always the South West Astro Fair at Sidmouth:

http://www.southwestastrofair.com/

The International one looks larger in terms of dealers present but Astrofest in London is the really big affair.

I'm still wondering whether to head up to Stoneleigh at the end of the week. Astro budget is a bit depleted at the moment though :rolleyes2:

2 hours ago, Paul73 said:

I might pop along on Thursday afternoon to have a look at all the things that I can't afford....

Paul

Is it open on Thursday? Looks like Friday and Saturday on the website. 

40 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

im only considering it because im about to buy a new mount and scope. weighing up the fuel cost vs the chance of a bargain. when is the london event? gutted i just missed the sidmouth one. its a 15/20 min drive for me to get there

Astrofest is in February:

http://europeanastrofest.com/

There will be another SWAS at Sidmouth next Summer but thats a long time to wait if you are itching to buy something.

I am going on Friday. I enjoy this show because it has good speakers plus lots to stands to view Scopes and equipment. There is much more room that Astrofest for the vendors. In saying that I go to Astrofest every year and I have already booked a hotel for 2017.

Stoneleigh also has the advantage of free car parking and is approx in the centre of the country (well roughly). I appreciate a 5 hour drive may be a bit much unless you want a good day out.

1 hour ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

I am going on Friday. I enjoy this show because it has good speakers plus lots to stands to view Scopes and equipment. There is much more room that Astrofest for the vendors. In saying that I go to Astrofest every year and I have already booked a hotel for 2017.

Stoneleigh also has the advantage of free car parking and is approx in the centre of the country (well roughly). I appreciate a 5 hour drive may be a bit much unless you want a good day out.

Hi Mark,

I'm thinking of going on Friday as well - it would be great to meet you there :icon_biggrin:

1 hour ago, John said:

Hi Mark,

I'm thinking of going on Friday as well - it would be great to meet you there :icon_biggrin:

John

I want to see Nigel Henbest at 10am because I enjoy the early history of Astronomy. I also want to see Dr Kate Russo (1.30pm) who is talking about the 2017 Total Eclipse. I am still hoping to visit Paul and then to drive up to Oregon.

Do you still have my mobile number?

Otherwise why not meet up in the Restaurant about 12.15pm.

I also want to see Dr Kate Russo (1.30pm) who is talking about the 2017 Total Eclipse.

Kate and I gave talks at COSMOS 2015 in Eire and not only was her talk enjoyable and well researched but Kate herself is great company - you are in for a treat! Don't make the same mistake I did and discuss eclipses during a coffee break not realising that you were talking to an expert on the subject :icon_redface:

1 minute ago, steppenwolf said:

Kate and I gave talks at COSMOS 2015 in Eire and not only was her talk enjoyable and well researched but Kate herself is great company - you are in for a treat! Don't make the same mistake I did and discuss eclipses during a coffee break not realising that you were talking to an expert on the subject :icon_redface:

Thanks Steve that sounds very good. I was hoping to get some information on the best locations in Oregon although I don't fancy the long drive from San Francisco.

3 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

John

I want to see Nigel Henbest at 10am because I enjoy the early history of Astronomy. I also want to see Dr Kate Russo (1.30pm) who is talking about the 2017 Total Eclipse. I am still hoping to visit Paul and then to drive up to Oregon.

Do you still have my mobile number?

Otherwise why not meet up in the Restaurant about 12.15pm.

I've sent a PM Mark.

I had planned to go the weekend but after watching this I decided not to bother ........

Apart from it looking like a ghost town it was mentioned that there wasn't a great deal of stock on display compared to other years which if your looking with a certain bargain in mind leaves you a bit limited. Looked OK if your in the market for a new scope and wanted to get hands on or even bag a display model scope but I'm betting you wouldn't be able to walk out with it on the Friday though ??? I have to say I really do like the look of those new bresser dobs. I think someone has really done their home work this time and it is a vast improvement over the skywatcher dobs especially in the case of the flexi dob.

On 10/10/2016 at 22:09, Anthonyexmouth said:

im only considering it because im about to buy a new mount and scope. weighing up the fuel cost vs the chance of a bargain. when is the london event? gutted i just missed the sidmouth one. its a 15/20 min drive for me to get there

Surely your best bet would be to pop up to Exeter to FLO ... :icon_biggrin:

Archived