SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

(Ms) Pacman nebula in CFHT palette - pink and girly?

MrsGnomus

Following on from Gnomus' postings of his processing of the Pacman nebula in bicolour and the Hubble palette it was my turn to have a go at processing the same data. Steve had read about the CFHT (HOS) palette in Warren Keller's new book so persuaded me that I should give it a try. I wasn't sure quite what to expect and was completely unprepared for the wildly coloured image that popped up on the screen when I combined the three colour channels. Unfortunately we discovered that referring to this as Ms Pacman wasn't an original idea but it still seems very apt.

I worked mainly in PixInsight before transferring to Photoshop for LCE and some minor and targeted sharpening at the end.

Not sure what to make of the image but it is certainly different.

A_PS_Finalx1800px.jpg

3 hours ago, MrsGnomus said:

Following on from Gnomus' postings his processing of the Pacman nebula in bicolour and the Hubble palette it was my turn to have a go at processing the same data. Steve had read about the CFHT (HOS) palette in Warren Keller's new book so persuaded me that I should give it a try. I wasn't sure quite what to expect and was completely unprepared for the wildly coloured image that popped up on the screen when I combined the three colour channels. Unfortunately we discovered that referring to this as Ms Pacman wasn't an original idea but it still seems very apt.

I worked mainly in PixInsight before transferring to Photoshop for LCE and some minor and targeted sharpening at the end.

Not sure what to make of the image but it is certainly different.

A_PS_Finalx1800px.jpg

Striking--I've played around with the CFHT, as well as the other one that uses HSO (just switch the SII and OIII).  In the end I think I prefer the SHO--but the various pallets work to being out structure that isn't as easily seen with other pallets.  Ms. Pacman has allot of structure!

6 hours ago, PatrickGilliland said:

Nice to see the 'other' NB palette in use.  Nicely processed and detail is great.  Not sure i could process it for more than an hour at a time with those colours though

6 hours ago, ChrisLX200 said:

I would have looked at it for longer but my photochromic glasses went dark...

I agree the colours are a bit wild - I generally prefer a more restrained approach - I didn't boost the colour saturation at all on this one.

Fantastic detail and mind blowing colours.. I've never processed combined NB data, it does appear to offer a vast array of flexibility in palette choice. The image is cool though and the colours do give a warm tingly feeling, psychedelic kinda feeling :) 

Archived