Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

Maximidius

Strangely silent

Recommended Posts

There are things people can put in the title that catch the eye, for me anything that includes NGC..... is an instant turn off but Star Adventurer/DSLR/lens seem to get views probably because its something a newbie can aspire too with little outlay. I do look through the posts of the top astro imagers mainly to see how far the bar has risen and the mega threads like the 130pds one where you can see the whole range of experience and skills with one piece of kit. 

Alan

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hay Guys, come on over to the lightside, we do loads of chatter there in the solar sec. clear skys  ,charl. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I generally try to keep up with all the various topics but don't comment in many unless I've got something useful to say, as my old dad used to say "If you can't say anything sensible don't say anything" 

If someone has a question about equipment I'm familiar with I'll try to advise or sometimes if I'm feeling cantankerous I'll argue the opposite point.

I image for my own enjoyment and very rarely inflict them on the world at large except in the solar forum where they put up with anything :grin:

Dave

There used to be a bit at the bottom of the page saying how many posts there were that day and the most popular one, but it ain't there no more

Edited by Davey-T
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess i'm post farming but hey ho

1 hour ago, Tommohawk said:

Some useful posts above. I want to hit the "like" button... but....

 

1 hour ago, Helen said:

I've been resisting.... but you got me!!! :hippy2:

To you both, What the hell, throw all caution to the wind..... 

41 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

There are things people can put in the title that catch the eye, for me anything that includes NGC..... is an instant turn off but Star Adventurer/DSLR/lens seem to get views probably because its something a newbie can aspire too with little outlay. I do look through the posts of the top astro imagers mainly to see how far the bar has risen and the mega threads like the 130pds one where you can see the whole range of experience and skills with one piece of kit. 

Alan

Fair points buddy !!!

41 minutes ago, xtreemchaos said:

hay Guys, come on over to the lightside, we do loads of chatter there in the solar sec. clear skys  ,charl. 

I've often thought about solar imagery

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought i would put this here as it is relevant ---

Quote "Thanks very much Max I appreciate your taking the time to comment, btw I've seen your thread about poor response and it struck a chord with me, I posted a similar one a couple of years ago so not a new phenomena and not limited to SGL either.  When I post an image I am hoping for constructive criticism but seldom get it, shame really as forums stand or fall on participation and I've often not bothered posting here as a consequence.  Of course it is nice to receive compliments but that's not why I post my images, I want to improve and develop my processing skills and really couldn't care less about having my ego stroked knowing perfectly well how far short of top drawer my work falls.  Anyway, grumble over and thanks again. "

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe we can split the "imaging - deep sky" section into 2, one for showing off and one for the others. There are a lot of comments and replies and advice and encouragements on the "getting started with imaging", but at some point you figure out your balancing, PA, guiding, spacing, etc., but you're still far away from others' exquisite images, still you want to get some feedback for your work. You don't have an image to be published in many magazines, but you got started a while ago. And maybe you don't have a specific question.

I can also put myself in the "tablet/phone" category when I don't reply that much and I just hit the "like" button.

Does the above make sense to anyone and think it's a good idea?

Regards,

Alex

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Maximidius said:

I guess i'm post farming but hey ho

:) .. no no no..  you still haven't got the hang of it. You have to reply individually to get the count up... ;)

 

Something else to remember as well... There are all ages & abilities on SGL. Thats something else to take into account when constructing a comment that may be constructive criticism in our eyes but could be inappropriately received at the other end... as exampled by my previous (possibly misconstrued) earlier posts about farming. So playing safe & "liking" is the least possible "mistaken" response. As I said before though really anything requiring any constructive criticism should go next door we're its expected first though shouldn't it... before we hang up on the wall?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, moise212 said:

Maybe we can split the "imaging - deep sky" section into 2, one for showing off and one for the others. There are a lot of comments and replies and advice and encouragements on the "getting started with imaging", but at some point you figure out your balancing, PA, guiding, spacing, etc., but you're still far away from others' exquisite images, still you want to get some feedback for your work. You don't have an image to be published in many magazines, but you got started a while ago. And maybe you don't have a specific question.

I can also put myself in the "tablet/phone" category when I don't reply that much and I just hit the "like" button.

Does the above make sense to anyone and think it's a good idea?

Regards,

Alex

How about noob type images/posts in "getting started", stuff hoping for critique in "imaging - DSO" , and imaging "show case" for showing off year by year. Theres a 2015 showcase already, so having an annual one would follow naturally, no?

Edited by Tommohawk
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tommohawk said:

Well we have an imaging showcase for 2015, so how about noob type images/posts in "getting started", stuff hoping for critique in "imaging - DSO" , and imaging "show case" for showing off year by year. Theres 2015 already, so having an annual one would follow naturally, no?

That thread is kind of restrictive. You have max 5 images, no reply to posts. That's only for showing some of your images + no comments.

For me, it also makes sense that the top images should be shown properly and get the credit they deserve, not together with our light polluted, several hours, bloated stars images.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe a    'Me No Like',    button could be   introduced,  just to balance things a bit.  There must be times when a post really gets up your nose,  you want to respond,  but the words one might use could be unacceptable,  so as with the 'Like'   substitute for being stuck for words,  the 'Me No Like',  offers the alternative for what can't be  written.

 :eek::icon_mrgreen:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, barkis said:

Maybe a    'Me No Like',    button could be   introduced,  just to balance things a bit.  There must be times when a post really gets up your nose,  you want to respond,  but the words one might use could be unacceptable,  so as with the 'Like'   substitute for being stuck for words,  the 'Me No Like',  offers the alternative for what can't be  written.

 :eek::icon_mrgreen:

OK I will bite.  I don"t like your 'Don't Like' button idea.  :evil4:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think DS imaging is thriving. I say this because I run a very small business, no more than a cottage industry, in which I offer facilities to all kinds of amateur astronomers and the take-up is mostly (but not entirely) from imagers. It was like that from day one, thirteen years ago. Well, that's me and my business. What about here on SGL? Yes, I think Barkis may have a point in implying that imaging has slipped a bit and Maximidius may have a point in suggesting a cause. Cause, effect? Hard to distinguish. Chicken and egg.

Let me go off on a tangent which many will find predictable and yawnworthy, coming from me, but if you believe something (and I do) you should say it. There are too many people 'out there' advocating DSLR imaging. The arguments have been rehearsed to death but this is a predominantly UK forum and the UK is plagued by light pollution. The only high powered weapon against LP is narrowband and the only high powered way to do narrowband is with a mono camera. At the moment that probably means CCD but change is in the air.

DSLRs are getting better, some are downright excellent in fast F ratios, but I strongly suspect that they lie behind an undercurrent of despair amongst UK imagers. Mind you, I haven't been back to the UK for a while (I've 'gone native!!!' It might be Monique's cooking...) so maybe it is also the weather. But we have one major magazine which strikes me as wedded to DSLR when that simply is not the way forward for many UK imagers. Don't beat me up over the price of the kit. I know what stuff costs and I can do nowt about it - but I recommend CCD. Voila. Go on, throw things at me!!!

Olly

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think what may have been missed is the timing of image posts too. If the entire UK has unbroken clear sky for three nights in a row, that usually leads to a lot of images being posted by experienced and newbie imagers alike. That can lead to stuff dropping off the first page of posts pretty quickly, or a lot of imagers are still working on their own data so stuff doesnt always get seen (I could be held guilty of missing a few crackers while being engrossed in processing, only to catch up a couple of weeks later!).

But if you post during a lean spell (ie: during an extended period of bad weather), more people are likely to be sat in front of their computer hankering for some pics to remind them of what awaits.

Some threads also get extended by the testing of new techniques to improve or repair defects in the origianl image. ie: there are still things I'd like to tweak in my last image as even though it might seem minor or unnoticeable to many... to me its like a streak on a freshly cleaned window or a bubble in a room youve just wallpapered.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a counter, I hope you will not take offence if I disagree with your original post.  I have found SGL and this forum in particular to be incredibly friendly and helpful.  I am always surprised at how generous people are with their time and how readily people will pass on hints, tips and techniques that they may have had to learn the hard way.   I cannot think of many endeavours where people are so willing to pass on their 'secrets'.

People are busy, and if anyone takes the time to look at and post a few comments on one my photos then I feel that I should be grateful.  If I get a comment from one of the superstars then I am over the moon.  I've never had a single piece of advice from David Gilmour about my godawful guitar playing - and probably just as well.

When I get few or no comments then I tend to the view that that is, of itself, a comment, if you know what I mean.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well how about having a big 'Wall' - something like Astrobin has - basically a screen full of [large] thumbnails into which all image posts go. Then when we want to catch up with what has been posted we can view lots at once. Maybe just clicking on the picture takes you to the thread. Is that technically 'do-able'?

ChrisH

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, gnomus said:

As a counter, I hope you will not take offence if I disagree with your original post.  I have found SGL and this forum in particular to be incredibly friendly and helpful.  I am always surprised at how generous people are with their time and how readily people will pass on hints, tips and techniques that they may have had to learn the hard way.   I cannot think of many endeavours where people are so willing to pass on their 'secrets'.

People are busy, and if anyone takes the time to look at and post a few comments on one my photos then I feel that I should be grateful.  If I get a comment from one of the superstars then I am over the moon.  I've never had a single piece of advice from David Gilmour about my godawful guitar playing - and probably just as well.

When I get few or no comments then I tend to the view that that is, of itself, a comment, if you know what I mean.  

Good point there... when I was learning (and still am learning btw!) I found comments from experienced imagers extremely encouraging, and still do. And when I feel I can offer a remedy to an issue (via my own experiences) I have no problem with offering that (unless im beaten to it by other SGLers!). Even when it comes to PM's im cool.... I just find it funny that people sometimes start with an apology :) no need to apologise! - as im happy you asked the question!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

There are too many people 'out there' advocating DSLR imaging.

I guess unmodded DSLR's are multi-purpose (usable for astro imaging and for normal photography), which is handy if you either can't or currently unwilling to invest in a dedicated CCD system together with all the extra cost such as filters, filter wheels etc.

I guess a second hand DSLR (or one that you might already have to hand) is probably the most common starting point when trying out life on the dark side.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ChrisLX200 said:

Well how about having a big 'Wall' - something like Astrobin has - basically a screen full of [large] thumbnails into which all image posts go. Then when we want to catch up with what has been posted we can view lots at once. Maybe just clicking on the picture takes you to the thread. Is that technically 'do-able'?

ChrisH

Could be a question for senior staff, since to have a "wall" would take up some of the homescreen page.... not unless it was a scrolling thingy (yes technical term...lol) like you get on a news website like MSN - that shouldnt take up too much space.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A "No Like" button might create to much negativity for some poor soul ?

One step closer to becoming a facebook / youtube clone maybe ?

You could always try it out for say 2 weeks, and if you're not all entirely happy with how it gets used then I guess simply remove the option.

Edited by Pippy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think maybe the thread is unraveling a bit. The original point was about zero responses to some posts, and now we're talking about the number of images being posted and the general well-being of AP as a whole.

I'm a relative newcomer but is seems to me that the imaging section is pretty much buzzing.

Re the non-response to some posts, this does pain me a bit - I'd hate to think that some poor soul has beavered away and given it their best shot, only to get no replies to their post.

TBH my contributions and signing in to SGL tend to be sporadic - and I wouldn't want to commit to full time monitoring of all posts and wouldnt expect anyone else to either. We're only discusssing the situation in this particular forum, but for any one person to try and monitor the whole site for neglected posts would be a big ask.

What about an auto-bump feature for zero replies? So if no reply after 12 hours, or whatever, auto-bump puts it back to the top?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

There does seem to be a move to small portable setups in the UK as a means to maximize any clear night, 10-20 mins total setup time is not uncommon it is though just another weapon in the armory along with narrowband etc. 

I do think some posts do miss out on viewing figures if there is a sudden inrush of images on the forum but that is no refection on the poster just bad luck.

Alan

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I think DS imaging is thriving. I say this because I run a very small business, no more than a cottage industry, in which I offer facilities to all kinds of amateur astronomers and the take-up is mostly (but not entirely) from imagers. It was like that from day one, thirteen years ago. Well, that's me and my business. What about here on SGL? Yes, I think Barkis may have a point in implying that imaging has slipped a bit and Maximidius may have a point in suggesting a cause. Cause, effect? Hard to distinguish. Chicken and egg.

Let me go off on a tangent which many will find predictable and yawnworthy, coming from me, but if you believe something (and I do) you should say it. There are too many people 'out there' advocating DSLR imaging. The arguments have been rehearsed to death but this is a predominantly UK forum and the UK is plagued by light pollution. The only high powered weapon against LP is narrowband and the only high powered way to do narrowband is with a mono camera. At the moment that probably means CCD but change is in the air.

DSLRs are getting better, some are downright excellent in fast F ratios, but I strongly suspect that they lie behind an undercurrent of despair amongst UK imagers. Mind you, I haven't been back to the UK for a while (I've 'gone native!!!' It might be Monique's cooking...) so maybe it is also the weather. But we have one major magazine which strikes me as wedded to DSLR when that simply is not the way forward for many UK imagers. Don't beat me up over the price of the kit. I know what stuff costs and I can do nowt about it - but I recommend CCD. Voila. Go on, throw things at me!!!

Olly

Been there done it got the t-shirt. :icon_biggrin:

Have been fighting the DSLRs for to long, I knew all along you were right and now it's time to call it a day. :crybaby2:
In fact I have called it a day, no more faffing about with DSLRs.

Have a feeling this is going to be expensive. :help:

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, wxsatuser said:

Been there done it got the t-shirt. :icon_biggrin:

Have been fighting the DSLRs for to long, I knew all along you were right and now it's time to call it a day. :crybaby2:
In fact I have called it a day, no more faffing about with DSLRs.

Have a feeling this is going to be expensive. :help:

 

 

 

The one problem with mono CCD imaging is that it cant do it all, there is still room for DSLRs for imaging meteors and other transient events.

Alan 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maximidius

amazing, clearly you brought up an important subject and you may have created the most read and commented post ever (....probably not but at least for the last weeks). In any case, I cannot stop following it and it is now getting to a point where it will distract me from looking at the interesting images posted here right now and comment on them, or at least like them. Yes, I know, that was not your intent.

 

By the way Olly,

your latest comment on this thread confused me. I thought I needed a CCD camera to do proper AP and now you seem to suggest that it is only needed in light polluted British skies. So I can go on with my DSLR in the dark Swedish forest? (I recently invested in a CCD and a bunch of filters, and struggle to get on friendly terms with it, but I will not give up)

Edited by gorann
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.