Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astronomik CLS Clip Filter for DSLR

Dave S

Has anybody any experience in using these clip in filters for Canon Eos dslr's

I'm primarily interested in the light pollution one for wide field imaging but like all filters they are not cheap and an investment that needs careful reseach.

Dave...

Yes I have used one, and they are superb, can't say enough good things about it.

there are two versions one with IR cut and one without, the one with IR cut is more expensive and is sold a the "CCD"   Version.

during a normal Astro mod one filter is removed and the other left in place, so this would mean you don't need the one with IR cut as the filter left in the camera has this. Unless your camera has had a full spectrum mod with both filters removed, then you would need the CCD version with IR cut.

if you have not got a modded  camera then again just get the cheaper one without IR cut.

If your camera has been Astro modded then the colour balance with the filter will be almost perfect, if not then you will get a green / blue tinge to your images, this can be proceeded out, as the filter is designed for Astro modded cameras that have a high red response, but work equally as well on unmodded with just a colour cast to remove during processing, also because of the amount of light pollution it cuts, slightly longer exposures are better.

hope that helps

:)

Hi Dave

I use them. They are ok and do help with local sodium lamp lp. I don't think any filter blocks modern lp completely. The cls-ccd is best but as Alan mentions, can't be used with efs lenses. What are your subs like at the moment? I have to put up screens to try and block a nearby lamp but I still get gradients - even in narrowband! I recently tried out a UV pass filter and also an 850nm IR pass filter which both do a really good job of blocking lp with a full-spectrum modded camera (without a cls-ccd) but of course no colour in the image at all!

Louise

Thanks guys for the info.

10 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

I almost bought one but the local lighting changed to LED and LP was drastically reduced, another issue you need to know is that they cant be used with EF-S lenses.

Alan

I know only too well about these blasted LED lights as they are appearing round where I live.  But the EF-S problem may be a bit of a show stopper as my main widefield lens is an EF-S 24mm f2.8 pancake style lens.

Dave...

I really think the times of imaging from my garden are over due to all the new housing that's be slung up around the town.

Here is an example of what I now have to put up with.

This is a very quick and very dirty first light shot using the canon eos 550D (unmodded) I aquired last week.

Dave...

14567530_10154041067963269_256189479965751099_o.jpg

9 minutes ago, Dave S said:

I know only too well about these blasted LED lights as they are appearing round where I live.  But the EF-S problem may be a bit of a show stopper as my main widefield lens is an EF-S 24mm f2.8 pancake style lens.

Dave...

Hi Dave

A front of lens mounted filter is a possibility. I have a 58mm to 2" filter adapter which has allowed me to put narrowband (Ha) in the front. So could use a 2" lp filter instead e.g. IDAS p1 though they are pricey! I see there is a 52mm option which might be slightly better for the front of the lens if you can get a 58mm to 52mm adapter.

Louise

1 minute ago, Dave S said:

I really think the times of imaging from my garden are over due to all the new housing that's be slung up around the town.

Here is an example of what I now have to put up with.

This is a very quick and very dirty first light shot using the canon eos 550D (unmodded) I aquired last week.

Dave...

14567530_10154041067963269_256189479965751099_o.jpg

Crikey - that's not bad at all!

4 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

Hi Dave

A front of lens mounted filter is a possibility. I have a 58mm to 2" filter adapter which has allowed me to put narrowband (Ha) in the front. So could use a 2" lp filter instead e.g. IDAS p1 though they are pricey! I see there is a 52mm option which might be slightly better for the front of the lens if you can get a 58mm to 52mm adapter.

Louise

ps I do get annoying reflections with the Ha filter but can get rid of them with dithering and Kappa-Sigma stacking :)

3 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

Hi Dave

Louise

Thanks for this Louise.  I'd seen something about this but haven't had time to investigate.  Front of lens would be better for me.

The above photo was taken with the stock canon lens at 21mm iso6400 single 20sec exposure.  On a tripod un tracked.

Dave...

18 minutes ago, Dave S said:

Dave...

As mentioned you can sometimes get away with a two inch front mounted one like the cheap skywatcher LP filter, you would need a 48-52 step down ring for your 24mm and that might cause vignetting issues on a wide lens  but its something you could try with just the ring first.

Alan

Thanks Alan. More fuel to the fire.  I'm looking at quite a few options now as I really like this 550D my first impressions are very positive and I'd like to make the most of this little baby until Funds allow me to get the kit I really want.

Now if this cloud would just bog off!!

Dave...

7 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

Hi Dave, I have to say that your LP doesn't actually look that bad but widefields do tend to produce gradients, you might even be able to sort most of your issues out in post processing.

Alan  

I got rid of most of the LP by post proc.  This shot was to the south and as you can see quite high.  My main problem is to the east where I have the best view and also a flippin great band of white glow upto about 30 degrees in dec thanks to a local companies mercury flood lights. Never had it 3 years ago. :angry5:

Dave...

44 minutes ago, Dave S said:

I got rid of most of the LP by post proc.  This shot was to the south and as you can see quite high.  My main problem is to the east where I have the best view and also a flippin great band of white glow upto about 30 degrees in dec thanks to a local companies mercury flood lights. Never had it 3 years ago. :angry5:

Dave...

Hi Dave

I feel your pain. I have a floodlit all-weather pitch to the east which lights up the whole area :( It's so bright that a lp filter doesn't help and I just have to wait until they switch off around 10:30.

Louise

Ouch.

We have one the other side of town so I know just how bright their damned lights are.  I think this one is on all night.  Like you really need to play football at 2am.

Dave...

1 minute ago, Dave S said:

Ouch.

We have one the other side of town so I know just how bright their damned lights are.  I think this one is on all night.  Like you really need to play football at 2am.

Dave...

They are only about 600-700m away and light up my living room when they're on. Not that it ever gets dark here anyway...

2 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

They are only about 600-700m away and light up my living room when they're on. Not that it ever gets dark here anyway...

Oh I really feel for you on this one.  It's so not right to have that level of invasive pollution.  :crybaby2:

6 minutes ago, Dave S said:

Oh I really feel for you on this one.  It's so not right to have that level of invasive pollution.  :crybaby2:

Thanks, but it's life and the floodlights were there long before I came here - as was the rest of the lit-up city. Why, I keep asking myself, did I take up this hobby? I must be a bit crazy!

Louise

6 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

Why, I keep asking myself, did I take up this hobby? I must be a bit crazy!

Definitely not crazy!

You took up the hobby because it's what you love doing.

We can't always control circumstances. But we can control what we do in the circumstance.

So you're not crazy :BangHead: you're in control!! :thumbsup:

How about moving to Campbell town?  It's lovely and dark there!

Dave...

14 minutes ago, Dave S said:

Definitely not crazy!

You took up the hobby because it's what you love doing.

We can't always control circumstances. But we can control what we do in the circumstance.

So you're not crazy :BangHead: you're in control!! :thumbsup:

How about moving to Campbell town?  It's lovely and dark there!

Dave...

In some ways I'd love to move but don't have the resources. At the same time, I'm busy going to classes and hope to continue with them :)

2 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

In some ways I'd love to move but don't have the resources. At the same time, I'm busy going to classes and hope to continue with them :)

Think that applies to most.  Usually find that everythings too convienient where I am to move.

Dave...

Archived