SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A Few firsts - Horse n Flame

Maximidius

Hey everyone, before i start i'd like to ask for as much help as possible. If you can offer advice and critique with solutions or process suggestions. I'll take it onboard and do my best to learn from what is offered. Now, that being said, this image is WIP and comes with a host of firsts. First time out in 3 months due to the unbelievably cloudy weather, First image with my home modded cooled DSLR and first horse of the season.  NO FLATS, BIAS OR DARKS and 16 x 300 secs @ ISO 1600 with a temp of 12 deg C. Dew point was 15 deg C and ambient was 24 deg C. I can cool down to 0 deg C,  but the humidity was at around 90% and everything gets soaked so cooling is a problem as the inside of the camera gets very wet. Solution - Argon purging, it works and works well, but is not an ideal solution as the camera leaks and it is expensive in the long run.  I didn't have a whole lot of time either, so my polar alignment wasn't great and the wind was blowing at a steady 18KM/H as a typhoon hadn't long passed over,,,but excuses and my poor processing skills aside, i'm quite happy that the DSLR is working a treat. 

SW ED 80 with WO 0.8 FR/FF and IDAS MFA

Canon Kiss X4 cooled and argon purged 

SW HEQ5Pro 

Cooled DSLR first image first process 12 deg C Argon purged No FBD small.jpg

Now get stuck in and give me your thoughts please.

Cheers :)  

Excellent image. Flame possibly a bit too red, but the small star just behind on the left of Alnitak is clearly visible. So you have not burned out detail there and the stars are well controlled. Plenty of detail in the veil above the horses head and the colours seem good around the star below the head. Nice shot for a DSLR. 

Derek

Thank you Derek. 

4 hours ago, Physopto said:

Excellent image. Flame possibly a bit too red, but the small star just behind on the left of Alnitak is clearly visible. So you have not burned out detail there and the stars are well controlled. Plenty of detail in the veil above the horses head and the colours seem good around the star below the head. Nice shot for a DSLR. 

Derek

I'll be having another go at it soon, so I'll definitely take a look at the colours of the flame.

cheers 

:) 

8 hours ago, Physopto said:

Derek

Hey Derek 

I adjusted the flame, i'm not sure what colour is more natural,  but from what i've seen this seems to be in the right ball park, I also thought it was a touch to vibrant so i toned it down by 3 stops.. too far or do you think it's okay? 

Cooled DSLR first image first process 12 deg C Argon purged No FBD small.jpg

That is much better to my mind. The flame, as I was told should be yellow,ish. Think of a fire and you have it. But it really is a matter of personal preference. 

Your picture is really very nice. I spent several years trying to get the HorseHead. It was a learning thing! I am not able to get much imaging time per year so it is important to me. You may be in the same boat, whatever, it is a good image. Lots of detail in the veil and around the horses mane. It was the first image(in ha black and white) I ever saw and became the "Holy Grail". 

Any way well done. Onwards and upwards as they say.

Derek

18 minutes ago, PatrickGilliland said:

Nice work allowing for the challenges.  A little bit of star management may pay off but some very difficult ones in there.

All round nice image for a DLSR shot so well done.

Paddy

Hey Paddy thank you :) ..I'll be looking at this one again. If it's not too much trouble do you have any recommendations for processing reguarding star management? I'm using PS and star control/management is one of my problems.  I'm never happy with the way my stars look!!! :) 

20 minutes ago, Maximidius said:

Hey Paddy thank you :) ..I'll be looking at this one again. If it's not too much trouble do you have any recommendations for processing reguarding star management? I'm using PS and star control/management is one of my problems.  I'm never happy with the way my stars look!!! :) 

Not really a PS expert - i use for finishing touches only.  In PI there are a number of tools that can help (stretching options) but not sure how to do in PS.  You could try some shorter subs with less star signal and blend these in or try a version with less stretching applied then blend into you master as a lum layer.

Paddy

8 minutes ago, PatrickGilliland said:

Not really a PS expert - i use for finishing touches only.  In PI there are a number of tools that can help (stretching options) but not sure how to do in PS.  You could try some shorter subs with less star signal and blend these in or try a version with less stretching applied then blend into you master as a lum layer.

Paddy

Thanks for the input, it is definitely food for thought and i'll bear it in mind on the next go at the data. :) 

6 hours ago, Maximidius said:

You could try this:-

Or this:-

Hope it helps...

4 hours ago, StargeezerTim said:

You could try this:-

Or this:-

Hope it helps...

Tim, you legend - Very much appreciated :) 

3 hours ago, peter shah said:

That time of year again...wow it comes around quick .....great image

Man, it comes around toooooo quick....Many thanks Peter

1 hour ago, Rodd said:

Great shot--I love the dark brownish nebulosity below the horse--beautiful

I was surprised that it was there with such limited time and no calibration files, all the more sweeter :) .... Rather unbelievably, i have been out for the second night in the last three months and was set up and ready to image from midnight until 4:30am, I collected a little data on M33 and M31. Now, I'm sure the images won't be show stoppers, but i'm happy that i could catch some photons and spend some time gazing at the stars, anyway...I have a fuzzy head and it really is time for my bed lol......Many thanks Rod ;) 

Archived