Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Gamma Cass and Breaking Wave plus Pacman in colour...

ollypenrice

8 minutes ago, strutsinaction said:

Superb! Agreed, fantastic details in the full size image. I would probably tone down the stars a bit so the nebula stands out a little more but that's just me :smiley:

Regards
John

This is rich Milky Way so they have been initially masked and then reduced. I don't think they'll take any more if the image is for large scale presentation but I think you're right that, for a smaller scale rendition, they could indeed take more reduction.

No point in saying 'brilliant' or anything like that as this level of detail, crispness and cleanness seem to be standard for you. It's a very pleasing image to look at though and achieves an aesthetic that surpasses the technicalities by a long way. Which is the point of any form of art I suppose. Just out of interest, what image scale is this shot at?

Fantastic image! Well spent 70 h (plus many more in processing, I assume). Just your little Pacman is a stunner on its own. All very inspiring - I have to try the Breaking Wave when skies clear next time.

Beautiful image Olly and Tom, wonderful at higher resolution.

Expertly processed and a great 'discovery/find' showing the tenuous nebula seemingly connecting Gamma Cass Breaking Wave and the Pacman: are these two nebula a similar distance from Earth and actually connected or is this an asterism?  Anybody know?

Chapeau to you both!

1 hour ago, Tiny Small said:

Just out of interest, what image scale is this shot at?

We used the house dual rig which involves kit owned by myself, Tom and Yves Van den Broek. That's to say a pair of Tak FSQ106Ns at 530mm FL and an Atik 11000 (3.5"PP) and Yves' SXVH36 (2.84"PP) with some data from Tom's second FSQ and Atik 11000 again at 3.5"PP. The Pacman was tweaked with some older data of mine and Yves' from when his 14 inch scope was based here.

1 hour ago, Barry-Wilson said:

Beautiful image Olly and Tom, wonderful at higher resolution.

Expertly processed and a great 'discovery/find' showing the tenuous nebula seemingly connecting Gamma Cass Breaking Wave and the Pacman: are these two nebula a similar distance from Earth and actually connected or is this an asterism?  Anybody know?

Chapeau to you both!

Thanks Barry. I still need to look up distance estimates which will decide whether the Gamma Cass and Pacman nebulae might be physically linked. The returning moon should give me time to do so!

Thanks also for the kind comments. Much appreciated.

Olly

9 hours ago, PatrickGilliland said:

Well done guys - the extra detail in GC pops out in red.  Small image looks busy as noted but full size is a well balanced feast for the eyes.  So which way now with the extension to the mosaic :) 

Paddy

From here outwards the project is Tom's!

Here's a star-reduced version as suggested by John and Paddy. I do think it looks better in small format, certainly. Thanks gents.

Breaking%20Wave%20and%20Pacamn%20Small%2

BTW Paddy, I thought your IC1396 lookled absolutely stunning in print in Astronomy Now. The transition to print can sometimes be disappointing but that one was a cracker.

Olly

6 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Here's a star-reduced version as suggested by John and Paddy. I do think it looks better in small format, certainly. Thanks gents.

BTW Paddy, I thought your IC1396 lookled absolutely stunning in print in Astronomy Now. The transition to print can sometimes be disappointing but that one was a cracker.

Olly

Looking good - the reduction helps on the smaller version.  No issues with the larger view.

Thanks for IC1396 comments it did shift the colour a little but close enough to that intended to work.

Paddy

14 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Breaking%20Wave%20and%20Pacamn%20Small%2

Olly

So far this is a 93% Olly 7 % Tom shot. No maths calculations at all have ben used to come up with those numbers :)

As for the continuation of this, I'll be delighted to take the baton. There is a pesky Solar Eclipse next year that might hold up the process though for a little bit.

Tom.

Archived