Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

Hi all have picked out a scope and mount I'm interested in buying. The scope is the skywatcher ed80 pro and I will be using it with my canon 5d mark 1 for astrophotography. It's the mount that I'm having trouble deciding on. Have been reading loads on the net but when I find something I think will be ok I search for reviews of it and looks and behold for everyone who says this is a great choice there is someone else who says don't buy this. Anyway I liked the skywatcher heq5 mount so does anyone on here think this would be a good choice also if I bought a goto mount would this also track or would I need a motorized mount. Also does anyone have a smaller or different mouth sergestion as to what mount I should get, obviously it will have to be tracking. Cheers in advance for your reply so.  Russell.

Edited by Russell Lovett

Hello and welcome to SGL. A goto mount is motorised and will track an object to a certain degree of accuracy. For longer exposure DSO photography you might want to consider adding a guide scope and autoguiding camera to the setup to improve tracking accuracy. The HEQ5 Pro is probably the smallest mount to go for as this will allow you to fit a larger telescope at some future date.

Hi Russel

The skywatcher HEq5 pro is a good mount

39 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Hello and welcome to SGL. A goto mount is motorised and will track an object to a certain degree of accuracy. For longer exposure DSO photography you might want to consider adding a guide scope and autoguiding camera to the setup to improve tracking accuracy. The HEQ5 Pro is probably the smallest mount to go for as this will allow you to fit a larger telescope at some future date.

As peter says it is motorised and will track ok but improves in performance with autoguiding kit and is the smallest you should consider.

It will take 13.7Kg of payload and your ED80 weighs in at 3.97Kg so it will handle it plus autoguiding kit with ease.  On paper it would take the ED120 plus some light weight auto guider but I wouldn't recommend going above the ED100 at 6.3Kg plus the extra kit as the 120 pushes close to the HEq5's limit on payload and this would stress the mount more than is recommended for accurate guiding (as well as motor wear).

Hope this helps.

Dave...

I agree - the HEQ5 is (dare I say) a perfect choice for the ED80 in terms of capacity for additional guide scope/camera equipment, and goto/tracking accuracy - for it's price bracket. Wish I hadn't sold mine now lol. :)

The HEQ5 is I suspect the best all round option you have, it should makeuip a nice system with an ED80 asit will allow a fair degree of future expansion. I will suggest that you go and have a look at one, and if possible get the chance to pick one up. They are not exactly small items. And ultimately usability is a factor.

I have an HEQ5, also have an EQ5. I use the EQ5 for the simple reason that I cannot be bothered to haul around the HEQ5. It is fine being fit and strong presently but 1 injury - I presently seem to have developed tennis elbow - and it is either not use the mount+scope for 4 to 6 months or make the injury worse until you cannot use the mount+scope. With my present elbow I found today having trouble holding 2 cans of Ambrosia creamed rice. Sound amusing and yes I laugh at it, but as they say not a cat in hells chance of lifting an HEQ5 head or full mount.

But after all that the HEQ5 is the most suitable mount.

Apologies for side tracking the thread but could I just ask if the HEQ5 and the EQ5 have the same tripod? I appreciate that the cost of the tripod represents only a small % of the purchase price and it may not be possible to buy the mount seperately but ultimately I would like to buy the HEQ5 but ideally mount it on my EQ5 tripod since I don't want to store two sets of legs.

Edited by Grierson
Spelling!!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Ceebee58
      Newbie , bought a skywatcher Capricorn ( around £100) but still unopened as I have some unexpected money and wonder what to do .
      options I see are ; 
      Use the Capricorn and get to know the sky and how to align the eq mount. Move on if I get the bug , maybe get a couple of better eyepieces.
      Return for refund and choose one of;
      Use my approx £350 budget to get a 90+ aperture scope .
      Blow the budget on an entry level GOTO scope , don’t bother learning stuff but just observe.
      What would you do ? To be honest I think the learning thing is part of the fun but GOTO scopes seem to be the ‘in’ thong

• By Corne de Klerk
      Hi Everyone. Hoping you can guide me in the right direction or give some advice. 
      I was given a Celestron Astromaster 70AZ telescope as a gift and have so far managed to locate and view Jupiter with an Android app. 

I subsequently came across a youtube clip were the guy demonstrated on how to add a DSLR / mobile phone adapter to his telescope as a way to converting his budget telescope to a push / go-to by clipping his mobile phone on top of his telescope and using the star finder app, be able to locate his target and then using his finder scope.  Please note that I am not trying to Astrophotography (yet).
      However, I am unable to find any mounting clips / mobile phone adapters I can buy to add onto my telescope. Any suggestions or ideas how I can make this work? 

Below is what I mean on how I want to attach my mobile phone on top of my telescope.
      Your help will be appreciated!

AC
      South Africa

• By muddy
      SOLD
      Skywatcher HEQ5PRO Tripod and Extension pillar.
      There are a few marks on the tripod legs but not really noticable, the eyepioece/spreader tray has paint flaking off
      But could be cleaned and repainted, it didnt bother me, but I am lazy.
      I am selling as its not getting used as it should be and I find I use the excuse that it takes to long to carry it out 
      and setup, but in reality I think I am just losing interest.
      As it is a heavy object collection from TS25 (Hartlepool) is preferred.
      But if a courier collection service is available buyer pays the costs and arranges pickup I am happy as long as money has been transfered. Also I am prepared to travel a reasonable distance to meet for exchange.
      Price £400 ONO I will not split

SALE COMPLETED

• By Michele Scotti
      Hi everybody,
      i'd like to share with you the design, making and progress of a project my astro club endeavoring to. I'll post here relevant info in a run-up  to where we got to so far.

Here is the mission: 800mm in diameter. That's it. A lot of inspiration out there but it needs to be able to do science. So it's a relatively fast Newtonian capable of tracking for tens of minutes.
      So we realized that we were facing 2 projects in one. The mirror on one side and the mount on the other. Shall we start with the mount? What's the best compromise in terms of ease to build and cheap components and the chance to have a stiff yet light structure. An alt-az, like the biggest telescope! - or rather a glorified dobsonian in this case.

Ambitious? Definitely
      Any comment/suggestion is welcome!

• By GiovanniF
      Hi to everyone, I used to do some astrophotography in the past with a Celestron AVX and DSLR but after few month had to give up for several reasons, including light pollution (I'm living in zone 3 east London), and also working shifts. Now I want to start again, and this time more serious. I've been searching around for a couple of months to choose all the gear and I'm quite happy with the list so far although it's a bit over the price I planned at first.
       I will get an William optics Z73 with his 50mm guide scope, a flattener/reducer 0.8, light pollution filter IDAS D2 and as camera I will use a Canon 600D modded and I will buy a ZWO 183MC Pro, after so much research, I'm very happy with the scale and framing I will get with this combo, but I'm starting to get confused with the mount.
      My first idea was to go for an HEQ5 Pro, as my previous experience with the AVX has been awful, then I realized that the FLO, sells that mount with belt modification and also some cleaning and tuning if required, I heard that it's a big improvement over the stock one and the price it's ok, but another important factor for me it's portability. Unfortunately, my garden doesn't allow me to do much so I will need to carry around on trolley, for a km walk, I'm a strong person and been doing plenty of time with the AVX, so my confusion came recently when the iOptron mounts entered my radar. I start comparing the heq5 pro with belt, with the iOptron cem25EC and the CEM40 without encoders, and I'm so unsure of which to buy, the cem25 seem to be the equivalent of heq5 at least speaking of payload, but in some threads I read people saying it's a bit fragile so kind of remove it from the equation although the weight it's interesting for my situation, then the cem40, seem to be quite similar on weight to the heq5 but with higher payload and that's interesting too as I will buy a C11 at some point.
      Now it will all come down to the accuracy of tracking I guess, how the heq5 and cem40 would compare on tracking and guiding? If the cem40 it's better, I would probably go with that since it holds more and would last longer as I don't plan to get anything bigger than a C11, but if the skywatcher it's better, I could decide to go for that, and when I move to a place with better garden then get a second mount with higher payload.
      Apologise for the long post and my english.
      Kind Regards,
      Giovanni. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.