Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Uranium235

Gamma Cygni and Beyond - Now in colour!! (complete)

32 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Not a bad start ;-)

Seriously, you should put that one forward for APOD,

Ehhhh... APOD? I'll have a think about that ;)  Once im satisfied its 100% perfect.

26 minutes ago, Uranium235 said:

Ehhhh... APOD? I'll have a think about that ;)  Once im satisfied its 100% perfect.

Tell 'em I sent you ;-)

I recovered from man-flu enough to encode this last night.... a corrected and tweaked video of the finished project:

(as usual, best watched in 1080p)

• Like 3

Really nice image there Rob, well worth the effort I think. After you have had a rest it will be hard to resist adding to it next year for sure :icon_biggrin:

Obviously great....Had to tear myself away to post this.  One question (perhaps naive).  There are a couple of areas in the lower left quadrant (and one in upper right) that appear devoid of color.  They appear like areas of over exposure (probably processing and not acquisition?).  Again, no criticism intended.  Its a masterpiece.  

5 hours ago, Rodd said:

Obviously great....Had to tear myself away to post this.  One question (perhaps naive).  There are a couple of areas in the lower left quadrant (and one in upper right) that appear devoid of color.  They appear like areas of over exposure (probably processing and not acquisition?).  Again, no criticism intended.  Its a masterpiece.  

Those white areas are where the image is at its brightest (strongest signal) - and where the areas of OIII are also strongest (barring the crescent), If the image was smaller I would have used a layer mask - but for something this large its just impractical.... as it stood I could already hear the PC shouting "I cannay do it captain... I just doont have tha poower!". When it takes about 2min just to apply levels or a curve, you really know something like a layer mask isnt a sane thing to try. Its the same reason I didnt do any star control, not enough CPU power.

Shoot a 100 megapixel image, then try to process it as one at maximum resolution.... you'l soon find out how tough it can be ;):D

7 minutes ago, Uranium235 said:

Its the same reason I didnt do any star control, not enough CPU power.

AHHHH  I see.  Another limitation set against us huh?  LP, Noise, Moon, Clouds, Wind, Optics, Mounts, Power!, Time, and now the computers themselves.  I guess we should take comfort in the fact that our hobby has evolved to the point where we are beginning to push up against the practical limits of the magnificent computers abilities.  Time to get a main frame!