Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Gamma Cygni and Beyond - Now in colour!! (complete)

Uranium235

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously great....Had to tear myself away to post this.  One question (perhaps naive).  There are a couple of areas in the lower left quadrant (and one in upper right) that appear devoid of color.  They appear like areas of over exposure (probably processing and not acquisition?).  Again, no criticism intended.  Its a masterpiece.  

5 hours ago, Rodd said:

Obviously great....Had to tear myself away to post this.  One question (perhaps naive).  There are a couple of areas in the lower left quadrant (and one in upper right) that appear devoid of color.  They appear like areas of over exposure (probably processing and not acquisition?).  Again, no criticism intended.  Its a masterpiece.  

Those white areas are where the image is at its brightest (strongest signal) - and where the areas of OIII are also strongest (barring the crescent), If the image was smaller I would have used a layer mask - but for something this large its just impractical.... as it stood I could already hear the PC shouting "I cannay do it captain... I just doont have tha poower!". When it takes about 2min just to apply levels or a curve, you really know something like a layer mask isnt a sane thing to try. Its the same reason I didnt do any star control, not enough CPU power.

Shoot a 100 megapixel image, then try to process it as one at maximum resolution.... you'l soon find out how tough it can be ;):D

7 minutes ago, Uranium235 said:

Its the same reason I didnt do any star control, not enough CPU power.

AHHHH  I see.  Another limitation set against us huh?  LP, Noise, Moon, Clouds, Wind, Optics, Mounts, Power!, Time, and now the computers themselves.  I guess we should take comfort in the fact that our hobby has evolved to the point where we are beginning to push up against the practical limits of the magnificent computers abilities.  Time to get a main frame!

Archived