Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

Uranium235

Gamma Cygni and Beyond - Now in colour!! (complete)

Is there such a thing as too much Cygnus for one man??

Yes there blummin' is!

If I have to see one more photon from that patch of sky this year im going to tear my hair out.... lol... as you can see - ive had enough of it! Processing this has been hard to say the least, the PC moaned and groaned like it never has done before. The OIII layer almost refused to stitch together so it took a fair bit of bodging to get it in a reasonable state. All I can say is that im glad I didnt take it up to 20 panels because I would have thrown in the towel!

However, I did manage to layer in the OIII for the Crescent which I took with the 80ED and 314L+ years ago, I also blended that with the Ha Lum so it didnt get drowned out when I comined the Ha_L and RGB layers. As for adding RGB stars... that aint gonna happen after this fiasco. Instead I turned the setup over to my little boy so he could have a go at M31 (data still awaiting processing by him).

So... finally after 6 months, 48+ hours of data (some Ha panes had three hours), 98megapixels, and 519mb for the final colour TIFF.... here it is, Gamma Cygni... in colour.

(im off to lay down in a darkened room for a bit now!)

Thanks for looking! :)

29528907563_37af79fa1f_k.jpg

Fullsize here:

https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7774/29528907563_8c19e8290b_o.jpg

• Like 31

That's a pretty breathtaking image Rob, admire your perseverance and dedication.

Just think what a whole sky image would look like with lots of high res images embedded to zoom into, you could delegate :grin:

Dave

2 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

That's a pretty breathtaking image Rob, admire your perseverance and dedication.

Just think what a whole sky image would look like with lots of high res images embedded to zoom into, you could delegate :grin:

Dave

Thanks Dave :)

Heh, yea it might look alright layered into Stellarium or another planetarium proggy. I may tinker with the image at the weekend to remove one or two minor blemishes but for the next day or two Im taking a break from photoshop.... my brain feels a bit frazzled.

Great image, with lots to take in. Quite a feat, thanks!

Spectacular Rob - I love the way that the Crescent seems to pop out of the Ha...

Breath taking to say the least... love how the crescent just stands out, like the ring master in the spot light as it were.

Awesome display of endurance photography! :)

Pretty spectacular, all the more for knowing how much effort lies behind it.

Ian

Thanks chaps :)

Being the sucker for punishment I am, I've dipped back into it and corrected the minor blemishes (one odd blue spot in OIII, and fixed the Ha_lum panes that didnt stich together correctly). It should now withstand a bit of pixel peeping :)

great image Rob your patients has payed off again, another beaut :thumbright: 

Thanks Chris :)  I've since noticed (always the way on another monitor!) where it could be tweaked again. But im not going to sweat over that just yet!

Brilliant, wonderful, lovely :)

Spectacular Rob.  The mono was terrific and a great teaser for this stunning HaRGB.  You have belnded the OIII for the Crescent very subtly too at the scale of the mosaic - it really lends a 3-D aspect to the Crescent.

This piece of work is an inspiration to me Rob - truly.

Hearty congratulations - I prescribe a glass or two of you favourite tipple to celebrate!

Edited by Barry-Wilson
typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Barry-Wilson said:

Spectacular Rob.  The mono was terrific and a great teaser for this stunning HaRGB.  You have belnded the OIII for the Crescent very subtly too at the scale of the mosaic - it really lends a 3-D aspect to the Crescent.

This piece of work is an inspiration to me Rob - truly.

Hearty congratulations - a prescribe a glass or two of you favourite tipple to celebrate!

Thanks Barry :)  But i think the only tipple im getting tonight is night nurse... as im coming down with a dose of man-flu. Suppose i cant complain, its been nearly a full year since I last caught anything.

Absolutely brilliant Rob, awesome work and i hope you are feeling better soon!