Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Televue 32mm Plossl - Dissapointed

Alan White

1 hour ago, Ben the Ignorant said:
2 hours ago, Alan White said:

both are not the TV Plossl that I am writing about

You should have said that to all who mentioned other eyepieces more than 40 times in this thread, and to yourself, 13 times

Ben, I sense you are offended, if that is the case sorry that you are.

I rejuvenated a thread from 2016 about not liking the 32mm TV Plossl.
Other options were indeed discussed and I went off in another direction at that spot on the dial.

Roll forward to October 2019, bought another 32mm TV Plossl to see if anything had changed.
It had, I liked it and still do, very light, very sharp, very nice.
I updated this thread quite clearly and was not looking to restart an options available,
it was already done in this thread previously.

• Like 2

I have never had a 32 mm TV Plossl, but do have the 25mm, which is fine in terms of eye relief (about 20mm, ideal for me with my glasses). However, I did have issues with the otherwise excellent 36mm Vixen Plossl. Eye relief was way too long for comfortable viewing. I did sort of get used to it, but once I got the TMB Paragon 40mm, with its extreme viewing comfort, and 20 mm eye relief, the 36mm was sold. Because Plossls are scaled designs (a 32 mm is simply a bigger version of the 25, and therefore has a longer eye relief to match), this effect is unavoidable. All you can do is recess the eye lens, or add a longer eye cup.

• Like 1

The eye relief was a problem for me first time around and what undid the 32mm for me, 
however,
The exact opposite now applies, I thrive on longer eye relief and just really enjoy it.
Something has changed about me not the EP.

The eye relief on the 32mm TV plossl seems to be longer than the rubber eyecup which is why I find that the eyecup extender makes it an excellent eyepiece. I like to have my eye snuggled up to the eyecup so that a) the eyecup does its job and keeps stray light off the eye lens and b) that the edge of the eye cup acts as a quick reference point for the positioning of my head and eye in the dark. I really don't like having to "hover" my eye someway off the eyecup.

Without the eyecup extender accessory I was less comfortable using the 32mm TV plossl despite it's excellent build and optical qualities. I don't wear glasses when observing.

FWIW I'm finding the 92 degree ES 17mm and 12mm very similar - but there is no eyecup extender option as far as I'm aware.

• Like 1

On 05/10/2016 at 20:52, Alan White said:

I bought a new 32mm TV Plossl from Simon at Widescreen Centre a week or so ago; last week of the London Store, I paid £143.
Anyway, finally a short first light tonight and I am dissapointed, had set my heart on it being great :sad2:

Such long eye relief it kidney beans on my 6" 150p Newtonian, I stuck in my 25mm Meade 4000 and although the clarity was better in the TV, I found it very easy to use.
Big shame as my Mrs bought it for my 50th birthday, so doubly sad.

Is this just too much for my scope, the EP or me.
Your thoughts and advice please.

I have the cheaper Meade Series 4000 32mm Plossl and this, unlike my 26, 15, 12.4, and 9.7mm eyepieces, is one of the later 4 element made in  China versions, and I have never experienced this sort of problem. 

Having only recently seen this thread, I tried it out on the moon earlier this evening, and it was fine no problems.

John

Edited by johnturley

35 minutes ago, johnturley said:

I have the cheaper Meade Series 4000 32mm Plossl, and this unlike my 26, 15, 12.4, and 9.7mm eyepieces, is one of the later 4 element made in  China versions, and I have never experienced this sort of problem. 

Having only recently seen this thread, I tried it out on the moon earlier this evening, and it was fine no problems.

John

That's because the eye lens is very recessed, effectively having a built-in extender:

spacer.png

Compare it to an original smoothie version from Japan which would have more in common with the Televue 32mm in question:

spacer.png

• Like 3

It's funny how we all differ regarding our preferences.  I had a terrible experience trying to observe with the monstrously recessed 30mm Tak LE and couldn't wait to get rid of it. I find recessed eyepieces very uncomfortable and having to keep my eye tight against the barrel, so as to see the full field, straining to say the least. I've not used the TV 32mm plossl, but find the Meade 32mm Japanese smoothy and other such designs like the 30 and 35mm Ultima's, Eudiascopics etc are an absolute joy to use. The eyepiece almost disappears as the star field appears suspended above the eye lens. Awesome! 

59a659c0825e5_2017-08-3007_23_51.jpg.f5ffbc2a04e82f214ba087efdc7dff00.jpg.e8587432d30ec530801ccaaf0c61b467.jpg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

It's funny how we all differ regarding our preferences.  I had a terrible experience trying to observe with the monstrously recessed 30mm Tak LE and couldn't wait to get rid of it. I find recessed eyepieces very uncomfortable and having to keep my eye tight against the barrel, so as to see the full field, straining to say the least. I've not used the TV 32mm plossl, but find the Meade 32mm Japanese smoothy and other such designs like the 30 and 35mm Ultima's, Eudiascopics etc are an absolute joy to use. The eyepiece almost disappears as the star field appears suspended above the eye lens. Awesome!

I totally agree, but I also wear eyeglasses at the eyepiece when using all but the very highest powers because of very strong astigmatism in my observing eye; so I am a bit biased.  I can make the 32mm GSO Super Plossls work in binoviewers, but just with only 15mm of usable eye relief.  I cannot comfortably use my 26mm Sirius Plossls with only 11mm of usable eye relief.  However, the 23mm aspheric 62 degree eyepieces are super easy to use with 17mm of usable eye relief once the rubber eye cup is pulled off.  I so want a pair of those 32mm smoothie Meade Plossls.  All that beautiful glass right near the top.

Perhaps the manufacturers of recessed eye lens eyepieces could have had a screw off extension akin to the latest Morpheus eyepieces that could be removed by those seeking the maximum usable eye relief?

• Like 4

On 02/12/2019 at 12:47, Jiggy 67 said:

This discussion has got me a bit worried, my wife has got me the 40mm for Xmas, she's withholding it to Xmas Day though 😯

The TV32 will show the same true field as the TV40, but, at higher magnification, which makes it preferable, in my view. I sold the 40. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Louis D said:

..Perhaps the manufacturers of recessed eye lens eyepieces could have had a screw off extension akin to the latest Morpheus eyepieces that could be removed by those seeking the maximum usable eye relief?

Baader did just this with their 32mm Classic plossl although it's a plastic push fit extension. The AFoV of that eyepiece is a bit less than 50 degrees though.

I prefer the TV 32mm plossl with the eye guard extender to the Baader 32 pl despite the price difference.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alan White said:

I tried other 32mm Plossl but then came back to the TeleVue 32mm.
Used either without extender and with or without glasses, 
but also have the DiopTrx for my astigmatism.

You should see the moon, along the terminator with the 15"/Binotron 27's/32mm TV plossls..... powerswitch at 2.3x

The view never ceases to stop me in my tracks.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Old thread, but having just bought a second TV plossl 32mm for solar binoviewing, thought it was interesting that they are cheaper now (£139) than they were in Alan’s first post four years ago. Still a hefty investment, particularly with an eyeguard extender, but there can’t be many other astro products that have fallen in price over four years?

Problem for me is that my binoviewer only comes to focus with a 2.6x barlow, so need low power 1.25” pairs to achieve right magnifications. Have gone for TV32 and 40mm Plossls as they deliver such bright and sharp views of the Sun. But after reading up on all the alternatives over the last few weeks, must say I’d love to try a pair of 30mm pseudo Masuyamas. Maybe a wanted ad is imminent, though they seem tough to track down.....

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Sorry to sound a complete amateur! But what does the term "plossl" actually mean about this type of eye piece? 

Thanks

Baz

Plossl are a traditional design with four lens elements.
They have a 50 degree FOV.
The eye relief varies from focal length to focal length and gets very short at say 8 mm or less.

You also get a Pseudo Masuyama like the ones Mark talks about above, but these have 5 elements and are not a Plossl at all.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

Old thread, but having just bought a second TV plossl 32mm for solar binoviewing, thought it was interesting that they are cheaper now (£139) than they were in Alan’s first post four years ago. Still a hefty investment, particularly with an eyeguard extender, but there can’t be many other astro products that have fallen in price over four years?

I don't think other TV product have though or is this competition in the market with more UK TV dealers now?

30 minutes ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Sorry to sound a complete amateur! But what does the term "plossl" actually mean about this type of eye piece? 

Thanks

Baz

4 glass elements in 2 groups. It's on this chart, somewhere:

eyepieces.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Excellent thanks gents, you learn something new everyday. I am going to print that diagram off and have a read tomorrow.  Thanks for pointing out the two lens types Alan,  this has given me a great visual understanding  now!

Baz

Johns often shown diagram is super, shows many lens designs and helps understand them more easily.
Sorry my draw over was so rough.

• Like 2

Eyepiece options have increased greatly in recent decades. When I was younger, it was Kellners and Orthoscopics... Plossls were luxury items! I remember being excited that I'd bought a 20mm Plossl. Then unaffordable things like Naglers appeared...

• Like 3