Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The EQ3 DSO Challenge

On 10/5/2016 at 18:06, Pete H said:

Here is my favourite (although common) with my EQ3-2, SW 150p and a canon 1100d

M42 Orion Nebula

This is a cracking image. I too have a 150P and an EQ3 and would love to be able to get decent images. I have a Canon 30D so can you tell me how you mounted your camera and what if anything between the camera and the scope. I don't think I would get as big an image with my 30D. I would be grateful if you could tell me how you got such a beautiful image.

Thanking you in anticipation!

Ugh!...

TGVdenoise is annoying me. I have been reading Pixinsights tutorial on it but it really does not seem to bet getting me anywhere. I seem to have the general idea that the edge protection is the most vital, however, I always seem to get blurry, out of focus images when I move either the strength or edge protection drastically high/low. Otherwise, nothing really changes in the image (or does it?!). Thanks.

1 hour ago, Sierra Golf Mike said:

I don't think I would get as big an image with my 30D

A good thing to do is to check your FOV on this -  http://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/field-view-calculator 

I found it useful when choosing a telescope

BTW, I did a quick ABE on this.:icon_biggrin:

_2b_thumb_jpg_920e7f0b49c1220dafe5531c79db48aa_ABE.jpg

45 minutes ago, Galactic Wanderer said:

Ugh!...

TGVdenoise is annoying me. I have been reading Pixinsights tutorial on it but it really does not seem to bet getting me anywhere. I seem to have the general idea that the edge protection is the most vital, however, I always seem to get blurry, out of focus images when I move either the strength or edge protection drastically high/low. Otherwise, nothing really changes in the image (or does it?!). Thanks.

A good thing to do is to check your FOV on this -  http://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/field-view-calculator 

I found it useful when choosing a telescope

BTW, I did a quick ABE on this.:icon_biggrin:

_2b_thumb_jpg_920e7f0b49c1220dafe5531c79db48aa_ABE.jpg

Thanks, I have had a look and it may help me decide what to try. Excuse my ignorance but what is ABE?

Steve,

you might not be able to focus a dslr at prime focus on the 150p without making modifications to the telescope. 

You need a canon t ring which will able you to connect the camera direct to the scope ( prime focus ) available at FLO.

I had to modify my focuser to allow 25mm more inward travel to be able to focus. 

Nige

1 hour ago, Galactic Wanderer said:

Here is the image I am trying to process - a horrible unevenly illuminated image.

Hi Seb - had a go at evening out your image with GIMP - at half scale.

Bob

Orion2.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nigel G said:

you might not be able to focus a dslr at prime focus on the 150p without making modifications to the telescope.

All my efforts are with no modifications at all except tightening the collimation screws most of the way in, read that tip on SGL somewhere.  I have about 1 fingers width left at the focus tube which I always use as a rough guide when setting up.  I did recently purchase a Bahtinov mask and that does help, well worth the £12ish.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nigel G said:

Steve,

You need a canon t ring which will able you to connect the camera direct to the scope ( prime focus ) available at FLO.

I had to modify my focuser to allow 25mm more inward travel to be able to focus. 

Nige

Nige,

I Have a T-ring and have focussed it on the moon before, I know DS objects are much further away but don't want to be hacking at my scope! Would it be better to try my WO refractor instead?

Steve

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sierra Golf Mike said:

Nige,

I Have a T-ring and have focussed it on the moon before, I know DS objects are much further away but don't want to be hacking at my scope! Would it be better to try my WO refractor instead?

Steve

If your set up is the same as mine, 150p, you will get focus.  I attach Canon 1100d at prime focus with canon t ring, focus all the way in to 1 fingers width, and that's about focused.  Pick a bright star in live mode to refine the focus, even better with a Bahtinov mask.

Steve.

If you have focused on the moon, no problem :icon_biggrin: DSO's will focus.

Either your 150p or your refractor will be fine.

The refractor will probably be more stable on the mount.

Good luck

Nige.

Edited by Nigel G

3 hours ago, Galactic Wanderer said:

Ugh!...

TGVdenoise is a marvelous noise reduction method, if applied right.

Here's a link to my recipe, which I only use to reduce noise in luminance.

http://wimvberlo.blogspot.se/2016/07/noise-reduction-for-dslr-astroimages.html?m=1

For the origins of this recipe, follow the links in the article.

2 hours ago, Sierra Golf Mike said:

Thanks, I have had a look and it may help me decide what to try. Excuse my ignorance but what is ABE?

ABE is automatic background extraction, as opposed to DBE, dynamic background extraction. Both are processes in PixInsight to even out gradients in images. Generally, DBE will give you more control, but sometimes ABE just works better. Some astrophotographers invested in PixInsight just for these processes, it seems.

• Like 1

Had the opportunity to test out the Canon 1000D (with the IR filter now removed) plus a newly acquired 135mm lens at the same time. Of course the Moon put in an appearance, but at least it made for a sort of dramatic, if coloured red, image. Just 30 sec subs at 400ISO - no guiding required of course. Surprised me that the Flame Nebula is just visible.

lens1.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, bobro said:

Had the opportunity to test out the Canon 1000D (with the IR filter now removed) plus a newly acquired 135mm lens at the same time. Of course the Moon put in an appearance, but at least it made for a sort of dramatic, if coloured red, image. Just 30 sec subs at 400ISO - no guiding required of course. Surprised me that the Flame Nebula is just visible.

I'm not sure, but there looks to be a bit of a gradient?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bobro said:

more like a mountain

Red and white? Send a copy to Jose Mourinho to hang in the MU dressing room. Explain that it will serve as a reminder for his players to pass the ball only to players wearing similar colours. Then claim your €10000 fee for inspirational effect.

• Like 1