Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The EQ3 DSO Challenge

10 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

... another one bites the dust!

I think the point of this thread has been achieved. Those who say that an EQ3 mount is unsuitable for astrophotography are demonstrably talking rubbish.

It's an ideal route into learning the ropes with the expectation of being able to get images you can genuinely be proud of.

Having now got a little experience with the HEQ5 I can honestly say that the differences are chiefly that the EQ3 needs more frequent tweaking, as it is less tolerant of being out of adjustment than the HEQ5, particularly in DEC, and that the aluminium tripod is inferior to the stainless steel type.

The EQ3, on a steel tripod, matched with an astro-modded camera and a 130P-DS is a relatively affordable and rewarding route into deep sp[ace astrophotography.

Its a great thread, visual proof that the EQ3 is worthy of excellent images. And hopefully will continue to guide other EQ3 users.

There will be others along. I have sold my EQ3 now so can't post new images, spent the money on a 200PDS :o 

So a few of my favourite EQ3 images for the thread too. 

Nige.

199116583_M42-RGBcore1_edited.thumb.jpg.3245961c790221bac1dcd1eaa036e4e3.jpg

Soul-bicolour_edited.thumb.jpg.0e74e55c46a870b6b1c573c553285730.jpg

1911558508_7000mos.thumb.jpg.50a66ebd6e99c50f0e0dd8bd893f6bb9.jpg

1791668758_M31-7hnon.thumb.jpg.9de7712a8c273fa5b35bf7e9645ca24d.jpg

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Nigel G said:

Its a great thread, visual proof that the EQ3 is worthy of excellent images. And hopefully will continue to guide other EQ3 users.

There will be others along. I have sold my EQ3 now so can't post new images, spent the money on a 200PDS :o 

So a few of my favourite EQ3 images for the thread too. 

Nige.

199116583_M42-RGBcore1_edited.thumb.jpg.3245961c790221bac1dcd1eaa036e4e3.jpg

Soul-bicolour_edited.thumb.jpg.0e74e55c46a870b6b1c573c553285730.jpg

1911558508_7000mos.thumb.jpg.50a66ebd6e99c50f0e0dd8bd893f6bb9.jpg

1791668758_M31-7hnon.thumb.jpg.9de7712a8c273fa5b35bf7e9645ca24d.jpg

? Impressive!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

All set up, forecast was good but the clouds have rolled in. Neighbours are having a party as well so Blackpool illuminations!  I was going to have my first attempt at the Eagle Nebula but it may have to wait. 

• 2 weeks later...

Been very quiet on here recently, pesky summer.  Anyway, I was so pleased to get back out a few nights ago, and I'm over the moon with my attempt at the pillars of creation in the Eagle Nebula. So low, and houses and trees limiting my time to just 80 x 20 sec exposures ISO 1600 plus bias. It's not Hubble, but it's mine. Bonus Wild Duck Cluster to round off a bird themed DSO few hours. 

IMG_9490.thumb.JPG.21aefbcd7a3d9e36ae2b0014bf874bc5.JPG

IMG_9494.JPG.5cc058d4205b2e2f76f4f2a397a1f51a.JPG

IMG_9492.thumb.JPG.f2f039419d88c0661f7e5db9c49e1a32.JPG

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I am really interested in trying out some DSO photography. 

I currently have a RA guided EQ3 that I use with a Meade ETX which I know is unsuitable so I would need an “imaging” ‘scope.  The SW PDS range seems to be very suitable (being designed for it after all!) but was wondering if there is a marked improvement over a 150p for example as these are more readily available in the secondhand market. 

Also, resources for beginners - would a copy of “Every Photon Counts” be the best starting place?

cheers

I'm so pleased this thread was bumped, or I may never have found it!! I have a manual EQ3, and will be getting the enhanced motors for it next month for my Birthday. I planned to start using it as just a widefield rig with just my (un-moddified) Canon 400D and 17-55mm f2.8 lens. I am then hoping to move up to some lunar imaging with an old webcam i found in the loft a while back on my 150PL.

The pics on this thread are amazing - shows what can be done on a budget and with minimal equipment!! 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Nigeyboy said:

I'm so pleased this thread was bumped, or I may never have found it!! I have a manual EQ3, and will be getting the enhanced motors for it next month for my Birthday. I planned to start using it as just a widefield rig with just my (un-moddified) Canon 400D and 17-55mm f2.8 lens. I am then hoping to move up to some lunar imaging with an old webcam i found in the loft a while back on my 150PL.

The pics on this thread are amazing - shows what can be done on a budget and with minimal equipment!! 

Great! If you're in southern Derbyshire,  you could come along to one of our RAG meetings - lots of friendly help and advice (and fig rolls).

http://www.roslistonastronomy.org.uk/

18 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Great! If you're in southern Derbyshire,  you could come along to one of our RAG meetings - lots of friendly help and advice (and fig rolls).

http://www.roslistonastronomy.org.uk/

Thanks Neil - nice and close to me in Derby, plus my works head office is in Burton on Trent! I will do my best to come down - have added the website to my favourites so I can find it again.

• Like 1

On 05/09/2019 at 11:12, wormix said:

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I am really interested in trying out some DSO photography. 

I currently have a RA guided EQ3 that I use with a Meade ETX which I know is unsuitable so I would need an “imaging” ‘scope.  The SW PDS range seems to be very suitable (being designed for it after all!) but was wondering if there is a marked improvement over a 150p for example as these are more readily available in the secondhand market. 

Also, resources for beginners - would a copy of “Every Photon Counts” be the best starting place?

cheers

On 05/09/2019 at 12:18, Stub Mandrel said:

I don't know to be honest. I got both the 130P-DS and 150PL to image on the EQ3, with basic guiding the 150 should be OK, I think the main advantage/difference with the DS models is the focuser.

Generally, the DS are the imaging versions of the skywatcher newtonians. DS stands for dual speed and refers to the focuser. I have used the 150 P-DS on an eq3 goto with aluminium tripod, and in my opinion it's undermounted. The eq3 has a load limit of 5 kg, which is taken up by the scope only. You have no margin for camera, guidescope, etc. That being said, with some tlc, attention to balancing, and beefing up of the tripod, it's still a nice setup for a beginner. When you outgrow it, you can use the mount for a light weight grab & go setup with a photo lens and camera.

The 130 P-DS has a shorter fl and is somewhat lighter than the 150 P-DS, so probably easier to guide.

I believe that the DS models are also slightly shorter, so it's easier to reach focus with a camera. Not sure about this, though.

Edited by wimvb

On 05/09/2019 at 10:12, wormix said:

This is a very good book, covering all area's of deep sky imaging. Perfect for starters.

Nige.

• 3 months later...

Have just got an EQ3-2 mount with the dual motors. Was hoping to buy a 130PDS to go on it. 

Could you advise me on roughly how long an exposure I could get unguided? (I realise this will be down to perfect PA etc but just wanted an idea of what I might achieve)

Thanks.

34 minutes ago, g-rex said:

Have just got an EQ3-2 mount with the dual motors. Was hoping to buy a 130PDS to go on it. 

Could you advise me on roughly how long an exposure I could get unguided? (I realise this will be down to perfect PA etc but just wanted an idea of what I might achieve)

Thanks.

Hi

I don't know for sure. A guesstimate might be ~30s. Personally, I wouldn't put a 130pds on an eq3 pro anyway. Better to stick to a shortish frac., imho. Whatever you image with you'd really need guiding anyway, though you'd probably get away without if you image with, say, a camera+ 200mm lens. Of course, you can always just try and see what you can get without guiding :) 

Louise

6 hours ago, g-rex said:

Thanks.

I don't know if it's any different from the eq3 GoTo Pro that I have but at some point when I started my imaging session I didn't realise I wasn't guiding and I shot a few 300sec before I realised I wasn't guiding. I checked the subs and I was very pleasantly surprised to see the stars looked very good. I was using my TS65 at 420mm focal lenght with my canon 700d. 

A lot of people are telling me that I must have the best eq3 in the world but I think that very good polar alignment and balancing can get you far with this little mount. I can easily do 600sec guided with the TS65 and my ASI294MC but the setup is quite light. Here's a 4 panel mosaic that I did with this combination. 

Emil1751427883_IC405(FlamingStar)IC410(NGC1893TheTadpolesnebula)IC417(TheSpidernebula)NGC1931(theFlynebula)NGC1907(OpenCLuster)(Watermark).thumb.jpg.8c11040693956b0754099b6f012484bf.jpg

• Like 3

I’ve been using eq3-2 with enhanced motors with a 150p on it for a while now. With good polar alignment I can get 30 sec easy and sometimes 45-55. Here’s a sample of my best unguided using an old canon 1100d un modded. 

D2BAD7DD-E983-48C0-874C-FDB52291CC8A.jpeg

B85B08AF-D561-4813-83A9-7BDEBA91DD74.jpeg

9FBE4EA6-57AF-47C0-9ECF-C24841D5D7D3.jpeg

454AF5AA-B6F5-474A-9689-DE40621A21B4.jpeg

9AC171B3-975F-45ED-A431-09A50F7BC25C.jpeg

C52AEACD-268C-4B85-AF6B-FC62817E09AB.jpeg

B6740761-AB89-4DE6-AA9C-647379ED0118.jpeg

Edited by Peco4321
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, g-rex said:

Thanks.

Hi.

The 130PDS is on the absolute limit for this mount so would need to be balanced perfectly.

With a good polar alignment and balance you could possibly get 2 minutes. But 60s-90s should be doable at a fair keep rate. A refractor would be a better choice but quite a bit more expensive.

Consider re greasing the gears if your handy at taking things apart. I did this with my EQ3 with a good improvement to smoothness of tracking.

Good luck and most of all Clear skies.

Thank you for your replies.

I realise that a 130 is a bit of a sail on one of these mounts and I was considering the Evostar 72ed but there's no way at the minute I could stretch to that. Especially if you factor in a flattener also.

There is a thread on here with images from the 130 and some of them are incredible. I realise I may not get many keepers but my plan is to (in a few yrs) get a better mount. 

I've being using my DSLR and lens but thought the 130PDS would allow me to image and do visual for a while till funds are available.

Once again thanks for the help.

Edited by g-rex
  • Like 1

On 04/01/2020 at 14:11, g-rex said:

Could you advise me on roughly how long an exposure I could get unguided?

60 seconds to two minutes if you don't pixel peep and you have it set up nicely.

Al;l my images on this thread up to June 2017 are unguided, some of them use 120s exposures. These are both 130P-DS, unguided on an EQ3-2, 120s exposures:

M27 Dumbell Nebula.png

Pacman Crop.png

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, g-rex said:

Some amazing images. It certainly won't be the telescope that'll be the limiting factor!

Stub Mandrel, do you polar align using the polar scope or some other message?

For all those I used a polarscope with the new-style reticle.

• 2 weeks later...

So I ended up getting the 130 PDS as it was all I could afford. 

Not had much chance to play with it yet due to the clouds but managed this first time out. Was happy and looking forward to steadily improving.

FB_IMG_1579561254470.jpg

• Like 4