SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The EQ3 DSO Challenge

43 minutes ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Comet Catalina passing close to M101 back in January

Didn't you take a great shot of comet Jacques passing the garnet star the year before?

Crickey found it October 2nd 2014, but was a cracking animation

Edited by happy-kat

17 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

That's a smashing shot, you'll excuse me if I try to replicate it!

By all means, go ahead. :)

16 hours ago, happy-kat said:

Didn't you take a great shot of comet Jacques passing the garnet star the year before?

Crickey found it October 2nd 2014, but was a cracking animation

Thanks, I really must go back to it sometime and fix the colour balance. I hit comet Jacques by accident on that occasion but since then I've kept an eye on the brighter comets for imaging opportunities on Heavens Above.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, 

I was wondering if you could help me with some shots I took of The Pleiades a  couple of nights ago . This was the final shot - but I don't seem to be getting any dust around the stars even with a stretch. This is an hour exposure with an astronomik CLS filter on a EQ3 with an 150PDS. 

Thanks, Seb 

2016-12-30 (2).png

In this case it's not the total exposure time (integration time or time on target) that is important, but the single sub exposure time.

If you want to catch weak detail, you need to let the system collect photons. Weaker target = less photons per time unit. The total integration time can only help to decrease noise (to a certain limit), it will never increase the signal. Assuming that you use a DSLR, with a target like this you would use a low ISO setting which gives you more dynamic range, combined with longer subexposures. Subexposure time is limited by either light pollution or the stars becoming over exposed. To get the noise down, you need lots of subs.

In processing, you need a tool to remove the light pollution. My favourite is PixInsight DBE, but Photoshop GradientXterminator probably works as well.

Good luck,

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

That's odd, the blue dust seems to be easy to capture and modded cameras don't make any difference to it?

My point being with an unmodified camera the CLS CCD filter can reduce a fair amount of light.

On 14/10/2016 at 22:37, wimvb said:

Later I learned that this is supposed to be impossible, so I couldn't reppeat it.

Therein lies the rub, when you have completed something successfully and people say "you can't do that" you doubt that it is what you did and often convince your self that the setting you quoted where not what you actually used.

19 hours ago, happy-kat said:

Is it really one single exposure of an hour?

Sorry for the misunderstanding - it was about 50 80 second expoures

21 hours ago, wimvb said:

In this case it's not the total exposure time (integration time or time on target) that is important, but the single sub exposure time.

If you want to catch weak detail, you need to let the system collect photons. Weaker target = less photons per time unit. The total integration time can only help to decrease noise (to a certain limit), it will never increase the signal. Assuming that you use a DSLR, with a target like this you would use a low ISO setting which gives you more dynamic range, combined with longer subexposures. Subexposure time is limited by either light pollution or the stars becoming over exposed. To get the noise down, you need lots of subs.

In processing, you need a tool to remove the light pollution. My favourite is PixInsight DBE, but Photoshop GradientXterminator probably works as well.

Good luck,

Wim, that is really helpful. I was very puzzled when the Orion nebula came out with an hour of 30 second subs and was not even close to the 30 mins of 80 second exposures.

20 hours ago, Nigel G said:

Unmodified camera, I would suggest trying without the filter, with m45 I got a much better result without my CLS CCD filter in.

Try a single sub and see if there's a difference.

Nige.

Here is a single sub with out the CLS filter. I will try in RAW next time though.

Thanks, seb

IMG_5572.JPG

• Like 1

This was a very low ISO (100) - I took this a good month ago and then I always used Iso 100 (didn't know a whole lot about imaging then 

Living in London means that you cannot go higher than ISO 1250 - the sky will be washed out.

The subs which I took with CLS filter were ISO 1250 and 80 second exposures.

All of this were taken with a Canon EOS 60d.

Thanks again, this thread has been very helpful in terms of imaging.

seb

• Like 1

+1 on the need to use raw files. There are several good programs to view and process raw files. All astro imaging software can handle raw images directly, and if you wish to process single frames or your daytime images, you can use RawTherapee (free) or something similar.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I have come back to M45, this time without the CLS filter and with RAW files but still no nebula! Even after stacking I cannot find a single trace of dust and gas. This time I used 80 second subs instead of 60 second to get a slightly higher exposure length. I am very confused - :dontknow: 

Any help would be much appreciated - Thanks Seb

Here is the final image - 

Pleiades.png

The dynamic range of that image is TINY, what are using to stack?

Also can you post a link to the unmodified DSS stack?

I think you may either have far too much background light pollution or moonlight or something is not happening right.

Look how much bigger my stars are than yours - the 150P-DS ought to be bringing in far more light at 80 seconds with such a high ISO.

This is 21 60-second exposures at ISO1600, chosen as it doesn't show a lot of gas:

Pleiades.jpg

Just now, Stub Mandrel said:

The dynamic range of that image is TINY, what are using to stack?

Also can you post a link to the unmodified DSS stack?

I think you may either have far too much background light pollution or moonlight or something is not happening right.

Look how much bigger my stars are than yours - the 150P-DS ought to be bringing in far more light at 80 seconds with such a high ISO.

This is 21 60-second exposures at ISO1600, chosen as it doesn't show a lot of gas:

Pleiades.jpg

Living in London really limits me and this is probably the reason - I need to try imaging somewhere else in the Uk!