Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Just a quick hello from Oxford

Bindweed

Just a quick, hello! I have been browsing the website for a couple of weeks reading and selecting interesting information, it is truly a wonderful resource! I have taken the plunge and registered. So after years of binocular viewing and using a small basic Jessops table top reflector. I took the bull by the horns and purchased a second hand Sky Watcher 120mm refractor, myself and daughters have been blessed with clear nights and bolstered by lots of chocolate and peppermint tea, have had a lot of fun. I definitely fit into the newcomer category but after seeing some nebulae and clusters (It seems that half the fun at present in our analogue way is finding them!) we are encouraged to tick off the Messier objects! 

Looking forward to more reading and learning on the boards.

Dan.

Hi Dan and welcome to the forum. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions by posting them in the relevant section - plenty of people here willing to share their knowledge and experience with you.

Clear skies

Hi Dan and welcome to SGL, nice scope the 120 refractor, assuming you have down loaded "Stellarium" to help find your way about the night sky, there are publications that cover the art of star hopping, if you are doing things manually. One that that I have in my own library is "Star-Hopping" Robert Garfinkle. Generally available quite cheaply now through that popular online book store. There is also the ever popular "turn Left at Orion" generally accepted as a must for those venturing into Astronomy as a hobby. Hope you and your Daughters enjoy the forum :) 

Hi Dan, a warm welcome from me here in Swindon, not far from you, your recent purchase of a 120mm is awesome, you and your daughters should see some great wonders with that scope.  Good luck and continued clear nights!

A warm welcome to SGL to you all. The're a very friendly and knowledgeable bunch on here so don't be afraid to ask anything. The 120mm is a nice telescope and I'm sure you will all have many hours of enjoyment together.

Good luck for the future and lots of clear, dark skies :-)

Cheers,
Steve

Hi Dan - if you ever want any help or meeting other amateurs then Abingdon astro soc is very helpful and have a number of members in Oxford.

Owen

Archived