Narrowband

Televue Paracorr Type 1

Davesellars

I've just purchased one of these from Ebay for my 12" f/4.92 dob.  It's looks pretty well used on the outside but stated optically perfect.  Has the tune-able top and 1.25" adapter with brass compression ring.  I couldn't afford to go for the new TV Paracorr type 2.  All in I paid £133 with a handy Ebay £15 voucher for doing the transaction on a mobile device.  Seems like a reasonable price?

Does this Paracorr have a barlow effect (15%) like the type 2?   Any other tips o people using it particularly with the ES eyepieces?

Zes both the Paracorrs increase the fl by 15%

Paracorr 1 setting for an ES 30 82 degree eyepiece is 1.7 ie closer to 2 then to 1.

If zou have a known ezepiece setting zou put that ezepiece in the paracorr at the correct setting and then focus with the focuser knob.

All other ezepieces go into the paracorr after this and are only focused with the paracorr compression ring.

Which ES ezepieces do you have?

• Like 2

I have yet had time to properly make notes on setting for my ES eyepieces. What I did do and found to work was to set up the paracorr in the same way as the ES HR CC but obviously using the centre mark on the paracorr as apposed to the 13mm mark on the ES HR CC

This allows me to find the correct focus for the paracorr then I simply turn the top to clean up each eyepiece. As long as the focuser draw tube is marked for reference then fine tuning can then be done at the focuser. It is worth noting though that there doesn't always seem to be enough adjustment for all eyepieces. This was more so with my more budget eyepieces so it may just be a case of eyepiece aberrations coming in to play and not the room for adjustment on the paracorr. Then again you also have to consider these were design with televue eyepieces in mind so it would be totally understandable if not every ep on the market worked in it.

A small modification I made was to put 3 slithers of Teflon tape in the body to eliminate any play when using larger 100° eyepieces. It takes a few goes to get the width of the tape just right so that it takes out any slack while still allowing for free movement of the tuneable top, but once done it works surprisingly well. TV later addressed any possibility of this happening with the paracorr I type II version, not to be confused with the paracorr II which also has optical improvements.

20161005_170304.jpg

Edited by spaceboy
  • Like 2

At £133 that's a steal then for the Paracorr 1 type 2 although if it is the one from phonefan-uk then it is the parcorr I. As for how the ES82 faired I couldn't tell you as I've so far only had chance to properly try the ES100, which I would say were greatly improved in my f/4.7 scope. That said I do feel the ES100 perform better than the ES82s anyway. The problem you will find is you have no idea what the ideal setting is as your doing it by eye while trying to maintain an even sharp focus at the same time. There are settings lists available for some ES eyepieces on Cloudy nights forum but again my assumption is that again this is through visually comparisons by individuals and not on any "factory recommendation". List or no list the scales on the parcorr are hardly as detailed as the ES HR and there would still be an element of guestimation require to hit the ideal spot between markers.

It has been noted on CN that some ES eyepieces will not completely coma correct with in the range of the paracorr but this is debateable as some ES eyepieces are known to have aberrations of their own and it may simply be astigmatism and not coma. The limited experience I have had shows a distinct improvement but it is in no means perfect so do not expect miracles. ES eyepieces are at the end of the day only a mid range eyepiece. Very good eyepieces but not as well corrected as premium brands like TV, pentax and the like.

Edited by spaceboy
  • Like 1

On 10/5/2016 at 20:26, spaceboy said:

At £133 that's a steal then for the Paracorr 1 type 2 although if it is the one from phonefan-uk then it is the parcorr I.

Yes, it was that one!  I did some reading and apparently there were three versions: 1st one without the tuneable top and then the second one with the tuneable top and improved optics and I assume the third one improving as you mentioned the adapter but it seems the optics are identical in these two versions at least.  So I assume when he stated that it was the later version that he means not the 1st version...

Dave.

I think that the Paracorr 1 type 3 has an additional channel & screw for the turntable to address the limited slop in the type 2. I find at the ES100° fit as tight as you like and that when screwed up firmly, the turntable won't wobble either! Can't afford / justify the masive cost of the MK2 which has improved intravel to accommodate the Ethos and longer Delos. You can achieve the right intravel for your collection by using the spacers supplied with the Moonlite fitting kit.

Good luck. Hope that it tidies the stars nicely.

Paul

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎07‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 10:22, Davesellars said:

Yes, it was that one!  I did some reading and apparently there were three versions: 1st one without the tuneable top and then the second one with the tuneable top and improved optics and I assume the third one improving as you mentioned the adapter but it seems the optics are identical in these two versions at least.  So I assume when he stated that it was the later version that he means not the 1st version...

Dave.

Sorry Dave my mistake you are correct. For some reason I thought the first Parcorr was a known as a "Televue coma corrector" and not as a parcorr. I believe they also did other versions, one for photographic and a 3" version ???

Parcorr Type 1 version 1, like a traditional CC requiring spacing

parcorr T1 version 1.jpg

Type 1 version 2, with turnable top

Parcorr type 1 version 2.jpg

Type 1 version 3, turnable top and second locking screw to eliminate any risk of slop

parcorr type 1 version 3.jpg

AND finally the Parcorr Type 2 version 1, with tweaks and better optics

Paracorr_Coma_Corrector_Type_2.jpg

Edited by spaceboy
Dam auto spelling :(
  • Like 2

I have what now appears to be a type 1 version 3 thanks to the illustrations. I use  a 15mm Luminos  as the lowest power eyepiece on a 20" F3.5, it shows lunar craters as sharp at the field stop as it does in the centre so well pleased with it.   :icon_biggrin:

Ah I see they changed the colour as well from green lettering and logo to white.  I haven't had much of a chance to use it - only the once last week but the conditions were appallingly dewy but I noted that it did make a difference to the stars although to be honest all my eyepieces performed really well anyway at f/4.9.

I bought the a Televue in-travel 2" to 1.25 adapter to fit to my 14mm Delos.  This worked well and not too much faffing now between the majority of my eyepieces being somewhere between position 4 to 5.

Edited by Davesellars

• 2 years later...
On 04/11/2016 at 01:26, spaceboy said:

Sorry Dave my mistake you are correct. For some reason I thought the first Parcorr was a known as a "Televue coma corrector" and not as a parcorr. I believe they also did other versions, one for photographic and a 3" version ???

Parcorr Type 1 version 1, like a traditional CC requiring spacing

parcorr T1 version 1.jpg

Type 1 version 2, with turnable top

Parcorr type 1 version 2.jpg

Type 1 version 3, turnable top and second locking screw to eliminate any risk of slop

parcorr type 1 version 3.jpg

AND finally the Parcorr Type 2 version 1, with tweaks and better optics

Paracorr_Coma_Corrector_Type_2.jpg

Which one of the type 1 is photographic? and How does it fit? Do you take away the the tuneable top to fit it into the focuser? How well would it work with an f5 newtonian for imaging? Thanks in advance. 

A thread raised from the dead.

spacer.png

Hopefully some will be able to answer your question.

Personally, I use a GSO/Revelation coma corrector for occasional photography.  It's fairly simple to reconfigure for photography due to its M48 threads that can be attached directly to M48 threaded T-rings.  The GSO version even comes with a M42 to M48 step ring if you have a traditional M42 threaded T-ring.

spacer.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/10/2016 at 06:08, Davesellars said:

I've just purchased one of these from Ebay for my 12" f/4.92 dob.  It's looks pretty well used on the outside but stated optically perfect.  Has the tune-able top and 1.25" adapter with brass compression ring.  I couldn't afford to go for the new TV Paracorr type 2.  All in I paid £133 with a handy Ebay £15 voucher for doing the transaction on a mobile device.  Seems like a reasonable price?

Does this Paracorr have a barlow effect (15%) like the type 2?   Any other tips o people using it particularly with the ES eyepieces?

I commented on how to find the ideal setting for an eyepiece in my late post in this thread:

Look at the post just before his.

Your "zero" setting is setting 3, the middle position, if using the tape technique.

• Like 1