Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Sign in to follow this  
Stian

Whats wrong? Collimation, Tracking, Focus?

Hi,

Autumn is here in Norway which means I can start using my scope again. My setup: Nexstar 6SE on a wedge with a Canon 100D connected.

I never seem to get my images right. There are always some strange looking stars and I am trying to figure out if this is related to Collimation, Tracking, Focus or something else.

Focus: (Vega)

Focus.jpg

30sec Exposure of Vega:

Vega.jpg

As you can see Vega looks OK, but all surrounding stars seems to be having some issues. Is there a clear indication based on Your expertise on where my problem might be?

50sec exposure of M57 (Ring Nebula)

M57_LIGHT_50s_3200iso_+15c_20161004-20h39m52s640ms.jpg

Thanks.

Stian

• Like 1

Hi Stan

My first question is are you using the Alt-Az Goto mount that the 6E normally comes with?  I ask this because I've had similar issues with Alt-Az Goto's as it seems (to me) that the tracking motors don't seem to operate together but in turn, so you get this funny L shaped tadpole effect on stars.  Unfortunately Alt-Az mounts aren't really very good for imaging.  Saying that.  top marks for getting a really good image of the ring nebula if indeed you are using Alt-Az.

As the 6E is of the cassegrain type of scope I don't think collimation is the issue.  as the distortion is off axis I would suspect it is coma distortion which can be corrected with a suitable coma correcter.  I would also consider making or buying a wedge to make the mount behave more like an equitorial mount so only one motor has to drive the tracking.

Anyone out there who has more experience would be better placed to advise you on this so feel free people to correct me.

Dave...

Many apologies

I misread your name.  sorry Stian (not Stan. Doh!)

Dave...

47 minutes ago, Dave S said:

As the 6E is of the cassegrain type of scope I don't think collimation is the issue

Agree, i found this picture on the internet, which indicates how stars look with and without a Baader Rowe coma corrector, and as you can see the star on the left looks really identical to the stars you have on your picture.

Billedresultat for spherical aberration

But if you haven't had this issue before, then i don't know what it is.

Clear skies!

Victor Boesen

• Like 1

Being slightly pedantic, that image of Vega through the mask doesn't look spot on either in terms of focus, although I think that the main issue is the aberrations from the uncorrected SCT itself.

Edited by MattJenko

Also, as the aberrations look worse on the left hand side and get progressively more so, I think there is also some tilt in your imaging train somewhere, almost certainly a focuser sagging with the weight of the camera.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Dodger3k
      Hi all, looking for some help please! 🙏 I have a wedge for my 8SE and when using EQ North to align it, it says it is slewing to Vega but ends up all the way over at Polaris!?  Any ideas? 🤞🏻 Thanks in advance! 😊

I have updated the firmware, Mount is pointing at north, have inputted my latitude and longitude, I have tried picking the nearest city too and nothing seems to work! 😟
    • By stthomse
      Hi all.
      I have just bought a Celestron 18771-CGL power tank to allow me to get out to the dark skies of the South Downs with my Nexstar 8SE. This is a great bit of kit because it's so light and portable and powers the scope for hours no problem. However, I've also been thinking about getting a dew heater and the only downside of the power tank is it's lack of a second 12v output. I was looking on the First Light Optics website and they sell a DC splitter cable to allow two devices to be powered from a single output. I'm not an electrician obviously, but logical tells me if the dew heater controller is also a 12v device there should be no problem running both the scope and the heater at the same time other than draining the battery faster. Is anyone using a splitter cable in this way? Or can anyone confirm my logic is flawed?
    • By J47
      Hi my name is Jay, new to all and any forums, lol. Not sure where to start so here I go. I have a few questions about Sirius the double star while observing through my Nexstar 4se telescope using a 2x Barlow and my neximage burst color. While I was able to capture quite stunning results of the star Sirius, this morning before sunrise, I was curious though as to if I might have incorrectly focused my scope on the star or if this image is a clear image of the star? I will attach a brief 7-8 second video I took this morning. It was the first time I had gotten to focus my scope on the star as it kept drifting before but I solved the drifting issue as a result of improper anti-backlash. But now back to the video, was wondering if any of you could help determine if I properly focused on the star because from what I see the star appears to be in the shape of an out-of-control atom in the video and at the center it is black, is this the observing of a quasar? Thanks for all the help in advance if anyone stops by thanks for the time and efforts here's the video.
      star.avi
    • By GavinC
      Hello,
      Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about whether it's possible to mount alternative OTAs with a dovetail or rings to the mount that comes with a Celestron Nexstar 80GT?  In particular I am wondering about attaching a SW Heritage 130P?  I know that Celestron did a 130mm reflecting 'scope on his mount, but it looks to also have that plastic tube clamp, seen on the 80mm image below.
      Thanks,
      Gavin

• By Spriggs
      Hello,
      I'm looking to get myself a new telescope to get back outside and looking up. I currently have a Celestron Astromaster 130eq, however, I do not use it as much as it broke in a way where the mount and knobs cannot be fixed. I did enjoy using it, but now I am looking for a more convenient scope to use. I'm looking at smaller goto scopes around $400. I want to be able to take it with me anywhere, set it up in minutes, and get to observing without much hassle (punch in an object and have it be tracked). I'm currently looking at the two scopes below:
      Celestron NexStar 4se 
      Celestron NexStar 130 SLT
      I realized the 130 is the same size as my current scope, but with its goto factor, I feel like I would use it a lot more. The 4se is very appealing due to its small form factor. In addition to the Solar System, I would like to be able to see some DSOs. As for the price, $400 is my comfort zone at the moment, but I'll consider going up or down based on recommendations. If anyone has any experience with the scopes above, or has a recommendation, please share your input. I would love to hear it as I really want to get back outside and observing. 
      Thanks,
      Spriggs

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.