Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Can anyone do anything with this?

I'm guessing you have a lot of light-pollution; there is a dramatic gradient across the image - someon with Pixinsight would probably be able to do something about it. This is a quick go in photoshop (not that my skills in that are anything to write home about) and it reveals that there is quite a lot of data there. No doubt someone will be able to improve on this, but HTH.

Thanks.

long exposure 1.tif

I haven't got it yet - it costs quite a bit and it comes with a 45 day free trial - so I want to build up a nice lot of data files that I can then use to test out all its possibilities before purchase.

That said, I gather from those who use it that the answer would be 'yes'.

There are a load of instruction videos here that will enable you to see some of its features and how powerful it is.

HTH

Managed to get this with PS. Removed gradient with DBE in Pixinsight LE. Basically did some curves, removed the gradient, cropped, added star colour with Noels actions, Boosted overall colour with a soft light action, Added detail with the Camera Raw filter, applied noise reduction. I personally like PS, it takes a while to get used to the masks etc but as you build up your skills, you can buy actions (e.g. Noels or Annies actions) and as you find yourself doing the same things over and over, you write your own actions. And its got a great history feature so there is no mistake you make that cant be undone. I find it flexible and creative, but I know a lot like Pixinsight. DBE in pixinsight is great for removing gradients.

long exposure.png

Archived