Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

spaceboy

Any owners faithful to one scope design ?

I've had refractors, reflectors, Maks, SCTs - they all have their plus and minus points :)

One type i dont see me ever owning again is the reflector newton

12 hours ago, nightfisher said:

Which one are you looking at Marki ?

As much as I'd love an APM even the cheaper 150 ED APM is still 3 grand. Maybe I'll make do with a synta type and add a moonlite focusser, unless I luck out on Astrobuysell or something :).

3 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

Interstellar space is anything but empty!  But I think that's something to be discussed in another thread :) 

Next thing you'll be telling me is that Space is anything but cold!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marki said:

As much as I'd love an APM even the cheaper 150 ED APM is still 3 grand. Maybe I'll make do with a synta type and add a moonlite focusser, unless I luck out on Astrobuysell or something :).

Hearing good things about the altair astro 150

3 minutes ago, Marki said:

Same as the APM 150ED but closer to 2k, still 2K is a lot of money:evil4:

http://www.bresser.de/en/Sale/Display-Items/LUNT-ENGINEERING-152-ED-APO-OTA-6-f-7-9.html

23 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

One type i dont see me ever owning again is the reflector newton

That sounds definitive Jules, is it the diff spikes?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

Hearing good things about the altair astro 150

Bit too short focus for me at 5.9. Looks lovely though.

I thought long and hard about an APM / LUNT 152 ED but I decided against eventually. There are too many reports of issues with the lens cell for my comfort.

I was dead lucky to get my APM / LZOS 130 f/9 for the price I did - I didn't realise quite how pricey they are to buy new :shocked:

Edited by John
  • Like 1

Thats the thing thats giving me concern too John.

9 minutes ago, Chris Lock said:

That sounds definitive Jules, is it the diff spikes?

No interest in owning newts at all full stop

I think I have become emotionally attached to all my scopes to be honest, although I have stopped short of giving them names. :) Each has their advantages for different types of work and conditions and they all get used at present, although I am sure this will change. I have noticed that even the devotees of one type of scope can change their views over time; the SCT guru, Rod Mollise, has lately taken a real shine to refractors, and Mr. refractor, Neil English, is now expounding the capabilities of the Newtonian, calling it the king of telescopes. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, RobertI said:

I think I have become emotionally attached to all my scopes to be honest, although I have stopped short of giving them names. :) Each has their advantages for different types of work and conditions and they all get used at present, although I am sure this will change. I have noticed that even the devotees of one type of scope can change their views over time; the SCT guru, Rod Mollise, has lately taken a real shine to refractors, and Mr. refractor, Neil English, is now expounding the capabilities of the Newtonian, calling it the king of telescopes. 

I must have read Rod Mollise used CAT buyers guide half a dozen times over the years as it's such a good read, I didn't know he had taken to the frac side. I knew Neil English had become quite taken with Newts, he has such a way with words that I nearly bought an Heritage 130p after reading his review regarding them :) 

Edited by Chris Lock
  • Like 2

It's too easy to dismiss a whole category of scope design after looking through just one or two examples of that design... I remember being distinctly underwhelmed by the views through a C8 I owned, and then spending a good while avoiding Schmidt's like the plague.  I've since looked through other C8s (and a couple of C9.25s) and realised that there may have been something wrong with my old C8! 

• Like 3

Being tall, I find reflectors are much nicer to use than refractors, plus I hate the way diagonals make it near impossible to relate what you see to a map. All you have to do with a newt is turn the map upside down :-)

The 130P-DS has lived up to all its promises for imaging. I'd find it hard to justify the expense of an astrograph frac that would give better results.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I hate the way diagonals make it near impossible to relate what you see to a map. All you have to do with a newt is turn the map upside down :-)

Ah there's a simple solution to this which is a prism diagonal :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John said:

I thought long and hard about an APM / LUNT 152 ED but I decided against eventually. There are too many reports of issues with the lens cell for my comfort.

I was dead lucky to get my APM / LZOS 130 f/9 for the price I did - I didn't realise quite how pricey they are to buy new :shocked:

This could be interesting John and Marki, I wouldn't mind this as my only scope type :)

http://www.apm-telescopes.co.uk/apm-140-980.html

looks like a new 140mm f7 fpl53 ED from APM. 

The 140/980 is supplied with a star test to ensure optical consistency and the performance expected from APM.

Even though the new 140 offers incredible value no corners are cut.

Each lens cell must meet strict quality control. Before delivery to customers, each lens cell is carefully collimated and star tested to ensure that customers experience each scope at its best.

• Like 1

No one seems to carry the 140, so I guess it would need to be ordered. Looks pretty neat though. I'd have to think about my astro needs a lot before commiting this sort of dosh!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Marki said:

No one seems to carry the 140, so I guess it would need to be ordered. Looks pretty neat though. I'd have to think about my astro needs a lot before commiting this sort of dosh!

I know, 2.5K is pretty serious, we're talking Celestron CPC 1100 gps or Skywatcher 16" Dob money... only they come mounted! Having said this if I was rich and owned all three I bet the APM 140 would get the most use :)

2 hours ago, Chris Lock said:

Ah there's a simple solution to this which is a prism diagonal :)

Still doesn't deliver a cure for soggy-knee syndrome ;-)

• Like 1