Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

spaceboy

Any owners faithful to one scope design ?

Are there any members faithful to one scope design ?

There are those who have several scopes designs SCT, frak, newts to choose from but how many members just stick with one design of scope to cater their observing needs ? IE: for refractor fans a 6" f/5 frak for deep sky and a 4" f/10 for planets. Or Newtonian fans a 6" f/8 newt for planets and a 12"f/4 dob for dso's.

Or even maybe if there members who only have one scope and have never felt the need for another ?

Edited by spaceboy

I sort of count as I much prefer dobs for night and fracs for day

Hello. I have thought about if one scope can do it all , but IMO I have come to the conclusion that if you want the best views you can get of numerous different types of targets then you will be compromising your views if you take the position of one scope can do it all.

I therefore have the refractor Apo and the reflector dob to try and cover all eventualities in regards to target choice. The dob and frac can be used for both DSO and planetary but IMO with different rates of success and difference types of views. The frac is great for sharp clear planetary detail, but limited to magnification as such the planet is not as big as it could be. The refractor can do some DSO , but as we know for dso aperture is king and therefore with something in the 4 inch apo range you are limited to your DSO target range.     

The dob I also use for planetary and with its 1/10 mirror I do get some nice detail shown and as you can push the magnification up more than the refractor you also get bigger image size. But you do not get the same HD sort of a view that the refractor Apo gives. The dob is much better than the refractor on DSO as with a 14" you can draw the faint fuzzys out more and the extra light gathering allows the magnification to be pushed up therefore allowing those faint fuzzys to be seen that less aperture scopes like the frac  cannot see(obviously you could get a larger aperture frac but the expense would be immense compared to the same aperture in reflector)

Therefore I consider one scope cannot do it all completely to a high standard, but  multiple of scopes such as a refractor and a reflector will allow you to get great views of most subject matter. Thats why I have a 120apo and a 14" 1/10 dob and feel that I do need both scopes to get a satisfactory rounded quality of views from the targets I am after.☺ 

• Like 5

I started out as a refractor only type of person but once I tried an 8" SCT and then an 8" dob I realised that I was going to be depriving myself of some superb deep sky viewing by sticking to the one design - the reason being that I could not afford or cope with a 10"-12" refractor but a dob of that aperture was attainable.

Similar to Timebandit I guess :icon_biggrin:

• Like 2

I have 5 refractors and 1 Mak. The Mak was a good deal and seemed a reasonable addition, however the narrow field has sort of counted against it. Additionally the main time I used it the goto decided to throw a wobbly. So I was put off using it.

I might one day get a reflector, likely get a mirror and build soecifically what I want, but I am equally happy with the items I have and they do all I want. Mainly they are easy to set up and use.

It seems that refractor people tend to stick to refractors and often just add to their collection. Reflector people will often sell and upgrade step by step to a bigger one.

• Like 1

I *think* I'm a refractor fan....... although I only do imaging and never look through the things.... I've tried an SCT, RC and ODK..... I keep coming back to refractors :)

They all have strengths and weaknesses, if I could find a scope with the light gathering of a 12" ODK and the image quality of a fine APO refractor then there would be no need to change :)

ChrisH

• Like 1

Well APM do a 12" APO, but you have to win the lottery first :eek:.

Edit: Here you go http://www.apm-telescopes.de/en/telescopes/refracting-telescopes-ota/apochromates/apm-lzos-telescope-apo-refractor-304-2280-cnc-lw-ii.html "If you have to ask how much..."

I think I'm a 'frac-y sort of guy even though I have a 180 mak and a 130P-DS. I'll keep the mak, but I'm looking for a 130 APO to take over from the newt. Maybe later a 160 f/7 triplet might find its way onto my mount. Not sure I can justify a 180 though.

Edited by DaveS
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Well APM do a 12" APO, but you have to win the lottery first :eek:.

Edit: Here you go http://www.apm-telescopes.de/en/telescopes/refracting-telescopes-ota/apochromates/apm-lzos-telescope-apo-refractor-304-2280-cnc-lw-ii.html "If you have to ask how much..."

I think I'm a 'frac-y sort of guy even though I have a 180 mak and a 130P-DS. I'll keep the mak, but I'm looking for a 130 APO to take over from the newt. Maybe later a 160 f/7 triplet might find its way onto my mount. Not sure I can justify a 180 though.

I have the 130mm F/9.2 version of the APM / LZOS refractor and I reckon thats about as much as I'd put on an HEQ5. Fantastic scope though - goodness knows what the views through the 12" version are like :shocked:

• Like 1

Need to update my sig. I've still got the HEQ, but for serious work I have an ASA DDM60, good for 28 kg imaging. At Astrofest I saw it chucking a 180 f/7 around like it was a straw :eek:.

• Like 1

I think i am going to become faithful to one scope soon

I had an 8" SCT. Now I only have refractors at 100mm f10, 100mm f13 and 125mm f8.9 - maybe looking at a 150mm f8 ish soon.

I miss the aperture of the SCT, but I find the contrast of the refractors so much more pleasing to my (aged and tired) eyes.

• Like 2

I've never looked through anything other than a refractor, not saying that I wouldn't try something different, just haven't got round to it yet:icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

I may be right behind you Jules. Refractors have ruined the whole Newtonian experience for me. I'm addicted to those perfect airy discs in the fraks and if it's not fiery balls of light in newts it's coma. I can't even say I'm all that put off by CA as I'm enjoying pin point stars so much. I just know I would regret loosing those 10"s of Newtonian aperture if under ideal skies at a dark site.

I wonder what a 12" apo would perform like though. Larger apertures magnify atmosphere no matter what the design so would such a large frak come with it's own draw backs ?? I keep wanting to go to one of the open nights at Greenwich to have a look through their 28" but the distance and unpredictability of UK weather means that's probably never going to happen :(

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, spaceboy said:

I may be right behind you Jules. Refractors have ruined the whole Newtonian experience for me. I'm addicted to those perfect airy discs in the fraks and if it's not fiery balls of light in newts it's coma. I can't even say I'm all that put off by CA as I'm enjoying pin point stars so much. I just know I would regret loosing those 10"s of Newtonian aperture if under ideal skies at a dark site.

I wonder what a 12" apo would perform like though. Larger apertures magnify atmosphere no matter what the design so would such a large frak come with it's own draw backs ?? I keep wanting to go to one of the open nights at Greenwich to have a look through their 28" but the distance and unpredictability of UK weather means that's probably never going to happen :(

Nick, i think i am a lot closer to the one scope goal, seems every time i set up it clouds over and all i want to do is take shoddy pics of the moon, i have always been a frac person at heart and thats how it seems i will stay

• Like 1

I had a newt and still have an ED frac but my fav at the moment has to be the 90 mm Mak but the military grade spotting scopes I looked through makes everything else look like toys.

Alan

2 hours ago, DaveS said:

.... for serious work I have an ASA DDM60, good for 28 kg imaging. At Astrofest I saw it chucking a 180 f/7 around like it was a straw :eek:.

That would do the trick then. Just need the 10/12" apo frac now .... :icon_biggrin:

Edited by John
  • Like 1

I'm considerably being tempted to becoming monogamous with fracs. Had the newt out looking at M45 the other evening having not used it since I got the 102 frac and golly what a difference. The newt isn't that special and the frac is only just a little bit less not that special and an achro to boot but the views were so different (I had the frac on M45 the night before.)

The frac is a more comfortable experience for observing, handling the scope is just heaps more enjoyable, lunar and solar imaging (in my so far limited experience) is better, with sharper images produced than on the newt. I frankly am in love with the thing and suspect my next scope will be another frac.

Edited by johnfosteruk
  • Like 2

Have only been at it for 8 months, so for what it's worth. Made a very conscious decision to start with a grab-and-go frac, and two more very nice fracs have come my way in this short time.

I expect to gradually discover what types of things I enjoy observing most, and that will determine what I end up using. I have a feeling it may turn out to be wide field, lunar, planetary and the odd bright DSO; for me, there may well be a point beyond which one faint fuzzy looks a lot like the next and it suffices to see that it's there; don't think I will be a galaxy hunter, but who knows? I won't be the same person 10 years from now.

So for the moment at least, definitely a frac man.  :happy11:

• Like 1

I have two refractors (FSQ and a TEC), a SW 12" Dob, a 9.25" SCT and a RC8.  So I am as promiscuous as they come...... !

• Like 3

Refractor  for me...love the wide sharp views..ease of set up and  due arthritis i couldnt handle a bigger telescope..so a 4 inch frac is perfect for me..

• Like 1

I'm faithful to five designs: binoculars with porro prisms, binoculars with roof prisms, a Petzval refractor, and Schmidt Cassegrain and Maksutov Cassegrain catadioptric scopes.

It is important that one is 100% partial to one's optics, and I love all of mine dearly and equally as much. I really do. 500%.

• Like 1

Its a sad fact but only fracs let you see the original photons emitted from a star or galaxy provided you have a prism diagonal of course.

Alan

• Like 1

I've only ever looked through two scopes... my own two dobs!

But, that will hopefully change soon - joining a club.  I've no doubt that different designs excel for different targets - eg selecting the right tool for the job at hand always makes sense.

In my blissful ignorance, my dobs seem to me to be pretty good all-rounders, and have let me enjoy so many diverse wonders of our universe, both near and far.  Maybe I'm even just a little apprehensive about having this simple perspective shattered someday soon!!

7 hours ago, Marki said:

I had an 8" SCT. Now I only have refractors at 100mm f10, 100mm f13 and 125mm f8.9 - maybe looking at a 150mm f8 ish soon.

I miss the aperture of the SCT, but I find the contrast of the refractors so much more pleasing to my (aged and tired) eyes.

Which one are you looking at Marki ?