SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from Swansea

Jdprice88

Hi there. 

Just a quick hello to you all. Im new to all this and im after a bit of advice. The little one lost a dear relative last year and when the moon shines bright he looks to the moon and says they are up there. I am looking for the best telescope option for viewing the moon. I would like to keep it around £100. If he enjoys it then i can upgrade. I think it would be a brilliant subject for him to discover. Any help is appreciated and thank you in advance! :)

Hi and welcome.

Sorry to hear about the loss but hopefully a little imagination and a scope will help your little one come to terms with it.

There are many choices to select from.  However, not sure how young the little one is, but you'd be surprised how quickly the moon moves when you're looking at it through a telescope.  For that reason I would pay the extra little bit and get a GEM mount, which then has little wheels you can turn to keep the moon in the view finder.  A standard AZ mount will work, but if you lose the moon it can be a bit tricky to get it back.

Below is a link to a pretty good starter item around your budget that would be suitable for smaller children as the eyepiece is at the back, and they would be able to keep the scope moving to keep the moon in view.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/celestron-astromaster-70eq.html

Hi and welcome to SGL - Sorry to hear about the loss you and your family experienced, but it sounds like an interesting and life time hobby could be formed from this point :) Looks like the suggestions you've been given are sound, especially about the moon filter.

Look forward to seeing you around and good luck :)

Hi JDP and welcome to SGL. Sad for all when you lose a loved one, especially children, as at times it is difficult for them to understand. If you don`t want to spend a lot of money, but encourage the youngsters yearning for looking at the Moon, Celestron manufacture a "first Scope" 76mm Newtonian as a table top unit and retailing at a tad less than £40,  see FLO at the top of this page for detailed information. Down load "Stellarium" this will give you an insight into the night sky and what else can be seen in addition to our close neighbour, be careful though, Astronomy can become addictive, enjoy the forum :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived