Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been asked before but every time i do research in to this i get different answers from different sauces. Not sure if im looking at out dated information or not so im hoping if i ask my questions here i can get the most up to date answer. So my questions are;

1. How many Stars are their in our Galaxy?

2. How many Galaxies are their in our Local Group?

3. How many Galaxy Clusters are their in our Local Supercluster?

4. How many Superclusters have we found so far?

5. How many starts in total are their in all of the Superclusters?

Probably millions, these mega numbers are beyond imagination. How can you imagine minus one for example ? Unless you're an honest tax payer .

What is interesting is distribution, for example stars in galaxies are as dense as one pea in St.Paul's cathedral , from one another. What is interesting is things like the event that lead to globular clusters being left after a cataclysmic event after the BB.

The distribution of galaxy clusters has almost undertones of intelligent design, Its certainly worth thinking about the bigger picture when observing the skies ,

Nick.

Yes from what i can see of answers to this post and during my research the numbers always varies. But if i take the most common answers this is what i get at as ruff guess.

1. How many Stars are their in our Galaxy? 
I get so many different numbers from this search but the most common one is 100 Billion Stars in the Milkyway.

2. How many Galaxies are their in our Local Group?
Once again I get many different numbers but 54 Galaxies is the one that repeats the most. Also im told the ruff amount of stars in our Local Group is 1.5 Trillion

3. How many Galaxy Clusters are their in our Local Supercluster?
from what i can tell our Local Supercluster is called  Laniake, and this has 500 regular clusters. So assuming each of these 500 clusters has about 54 Galaxies then that gives us 27000 Galaxies. So if each cluster has about 1.5 Trillion stars thats 500 x 1.5. giving us 40.5 Trillion Stars in our Supercluster.

4. How many Superclusters have we found so far?
If google is accurate we have found about 10 Million Superclusters. So assuming each Supercluster has 27000 galaxies thats 10 Million x 27000 = Two Hundred Seventy Billion Galaxies, a number to big for me to know how to type as a number.

5. How many starts in total are their in all of the Superclusters?
So if we go with Two Hundred Seventy Billion galaxies and each galaxy has about 100 Billion stars thats Two Hundred Seventy Billion x 100 Billion thats a sum i cant get any calculator to work out.

I know not all Galaxies have the same number of stars and that each Cluster and Supercluster will have different numbers of Galaxies in them. I also know we are not the largest of any of these categories but at least its a ruff guess and im sure the actual number is far larger.

Edited by Joe_Dinsdale

1: Value will change at regular intervals, presently 100 billion is most quoted but as half the values are in publications like papers or the web you tend to find that next weeks artical has to have more then this weeks artical. Red dwarfs and brown dwarfs make it difficult as every so often the calculated possible number of these changes, so suddenly the number jumps. Andromeda is another good example, I have read that it is smaller, equal and bigger then the Milky Way. Suppose it has to be at least one of them.

2: Might be very low, sure I read somewhere that the Milky Way, Andromeda ans Triangulum may not be bound gravitationally to the Virgo supercluster. In effect we are not part of a supercluster. We could be just 3 (M31+M33+MW) and I am sure I have read that we are 6.  Have to remember that it was only in 1923 that Hubble determined that there were other galaxies besides ours, 93 years ago it was thought that the Milky Way was everything. And I would not be too surprised that by the time of the 100th anniversary (7 years to go) a lot will change again.

One option is to access the Gaia data and see if anything comes out of that. At last in regards to our galaxy.

The rest is very likely open to a lot of arguement, especially 5 as there is really no way to measure the number accuratley. We have trouble detecting red dwarfs and brown dwarfs in this region of the Milky Way, never mind bits of the Milky Way that are further away and out of sight so not chance of what is in other galaxies. Any idea of the number of red and brown dwarfs that have formed in the Pleiades cluster ?

I would say that any numerical value will have a potential spread of about 5x or 10x the value suggested. Like saying 5 million but with the possibility of up to 25 million, and maybe 50 million. In effect meaningless.

Edited by ronin

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By alanjgreen
      Equipment Used:
      Scope: 20” f3.6 Lukehurst Dob with Paracorr (fl = 2089mm & f4.1).
      Night Vision: PVS-14 with Photonis 4g INTENS.
      Eyepiece: Plossl 55mm (f2 x38).

Background.
      In spring 2019 I created a Sky Safari observing list of 214 highest brightness galaxies in the night sky above.
      I have observed 134 of the 214 (the others have not been well placed over my garden when I have been outside).
      In my first pass through these 134 galaxies, they were graded 0-3 (where 3 means "clear spiral arms" and 0 means "nothing to see here!")
      I have now completed a second pass through the grade 2 and grade 3 galaxies. This has resulted in some movement between bands based on my now greater experience and having a better idea of what I expect to see.
      My latest graded lists contain 38 grade 3 galaxies and 30 grade 2 galaxies (when combined this gives a list of the best galaxies to view when using military night vision technology combined with a low power eyepiece (using the TeleVue PVS-14 adapter).
      [Note that lower power eyepieces give the best spiral arm results as they “increase the effective focal ratio” of the telescope/night vision system which really helps increase the detail seen at the eyepiece.]
      As we are still in galaxy season 2020, now seemed a good time to re-publish my findings so others have the opportunity to observe some of these fantastic galaxies before they become “unavailable” for another 10 months…

Grade 3 galaxies (the best of the best).
      M51 M61 M64 M65 M66 M81 M90 M91 M94 M95 M96 M99 M100 M101 M106 M109 NGC891 NGC2403 NGC2903 NGC3184 NGC3628 NGC3631 NGC3726 NGC3893 NGC3953 NGC4051 NGC4216 NGC4274 NGC4449 NGC4559 NGC4565 NGC4618 NGC4725 NGC5248 NGC5371 NGC5746 NGC5907 NGC6946  
      Grade 2 galaxies (good but the arms are not quite there…)
      M82 M88 M98 M104 NGC2537 NGC2768 NGC3294 NGC3344 NGC3373 NGC3596 NGC3646 NGC3675 NGC3718 NGC3729 NGC3813 NGC3938 NGC4013 NGC4214 NGC4293 NGC4389 NGC4490 NGC4517 NGC4535 NGC4625 NGC4762 NGC5005 NGC5364 NGC5383 NGC5775 NGC6015 Hopefully someone will find this useful information, next time they plan a galaxy observing session...
      Note that my dobsonian uses an Astrodevices Nexus unit which I control using Sky Safari. Here are my exported observing lists (which you can import into your Sky Safari app should you wish to do so?)
      Grade 3 Galaxies.skylist
      Grade 2 Galaxies.skylist
      1. email them to your phone/ipad,
      2. read the email on your mobile device and after clicking on the attachment, you should be offered the chance to “send to Sky Safari” by your email app…
      3.Sky Safari will open and give a message “Observing List Created”.

Clear Skies,
      Alan

• By stevewanstall
      Celestron 9.25 at f6.3, SW EQ6R pro, Canon 550 D modded
      The galaxy group Hickson 44 in Leo. This is based on 29 x 240 s, plus bias and flats.

Hickson 44 in Leo:

There are some other galaxies near by, some of which are names in this overlay from Astrometry.net:

Overlay from Astrometry, naming the other objects:

The main ones are NGC 3190, NGC 3185, NGC 3187 and NGC 3193. NGC 3190 has a well defined dust lane. NGC 3187 is a barred spiral galaxy with two arms. NGC 3193 is an elliptical galaxy.
      The light captured by my camera last night left these galaxies just after the extinction event killed the dinosaurs on Earth.
      From APOD: Galaxies, like stars, frequently form groups. A group of galaxies is a system containing more than two galaxies but less than the tens or hundreds typically found in a cluster of galaxies. A most notable example is the Local Group of Galaxies, which houses over 30 galaxies including our Milky Way, Andromeda, and the Magellanic Clouds. Pictured above is nearby compact group Hickson 44. This group is located about 60 million light-years away toward the constellation of Leo. Also known as the NGC 3190 Group, Hickson 44 contains several bright spiral galaxies and one bright elliptical galaxy on the upper right. The bright source on the upper left is a foreground star. Many galaxies in Hickson 44 and other compact groups are either slowly merging or gravitationally pulling each other apart.

Abell 1367
      This image is based on 19 x 300 s , plus flats and bias. It shows a LOT of galaxies, in a grouping called Abell 1367. In this image you are looking at part of one of the biggest structures in the Universe, the Great Wall.

Wikipedia:
      The Leo Cluster (Abell 1367) is a galaxy cluster about 330 million light-years distant (z = 0.022) in the constellation Leo, with at least 70 major galaxies. The galaxy known as NGC 3842 is the brightest member of this cluster. Along with the Coma Cluster, it is one of the two major clusters comprising the Coma Supercluster, which in turn is part of the CfA2 Great Wall, which is hundreds of millions light years long and is one of the largest known structures in the universe.
      The overlay from Astrometry gives some of the galaxies visible in the image.

• By StarFiveSky
      Need a bit of help to narrow down what I see, I've wanted to buy a telescope a year ago but a couple of things stopped that decision.
      Saw a strong bright glowing star in the cloudless sky so I picked up my old binoculars laying around. I appended three images, one what my phone saw, secondly the raw image, thirdly a star map pointing towards the object (center-ish).
      I know it feels pretty laughable for s.o with an 8" GOTO + 5 yrs of experience, but maybe we can attempt to locate the object anyway ;)

IMG_20200312_191702.dng
    • By J47
      Hi my name is Jay, new to all and any forums, lol. Not sure where to start so here I go. I have a few questions about Sirius the double star while observing through my Nexstar 4se telescope using a 2x Barlow and my neximage burst color. While I was able to capture quite stunning results of the star Sirius, this morning before sunrise, I was curious though as to if I might have incorrectly focused my scope on the star or if this image is a clear image of the star? I will attach a brief 7-8 second video I took this morning. It was the first time I had gotten to focus my scope on the star as it kept drifting before but I solved the drifting issue as a result of improper anti-backlash. But now back to the video, was wondering if any of you could help determine if I properly focused on the star because from what I see the star appears to be in the shape of an out-of-control atom in the video and at the center it is black, is this the observing of a quasar? Thanks for all the help in advance if anyone stops by thanks for the time and efforts here's the video.
      star.avi
    • By Phillips6549
      With several clear nights over the past week,  I've been playing with the Synscan Pro app (Android) in conjunction with a Synscan WiFi adapter on an EQ3Pro mount.  I have to say I'm generally quite impressed.  Much cheaper than buying a traditional handset.  
      However,  this evening I was trying to "creep up" on the Andromeda Galaxy by star hopping towards it via Mirach,  Mu Andromedae and Nu Andromedae.  Mirach was no problem but the other stars were not available for selection in the app.  Am I missing something?  I couldn't find any way to enter an SAO number or any other catalogue number to find the minor stars.  
      Is this a limitation of the app?  Or the adapter perhaps?  Or is it me? 
      Clear skies, 
      Mark. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.